09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
The lawful admission policy states that for a spouse to be sponsored, that spouse must have been admitted lawfully his/her country of residency for 1yr. I held a work visa for a few years which I used to enter the US several times. I was in fact working for a company in the US but I went outside the country on short vacations that never went for over 9 consecutive days, at the most. During the years I had my work visa (H1B) I never stayed in the US for a 1yr period as I went on vacation twice a year (as IT departments prefer to give shorter vacation periods) althought technically i resided in the US as my H1B allowed. During those re-entries, I was several times admitted in the US for periods longer than 1yr, as the departure date was set to be the expiration of my H1B. The last time I left and came back to the US my H1B was valid for only 10 months (I entered in November and my H1B would expire in Sep on the next year). I have since gone out-of-status in the US and married a Canadian citizen that lives in the US. We are planning to move to Canada if a Canadian PR application is successful. Does anyone understand the policy to look into only the last time a person is admitted in the country of residency for any reason, or the history of having an H1B work visa in the US counts?

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
The reason why 'lawfully admitted for 1 yr' clause is that, people should not take advantage of shorter processing times in other countries, just by applying for a short term visa (visit visa) and then apply from that country. By having this clause, CIC ensures that you are applying from a country other than your home country because you have a long term resident status in the country (where you are applying from). Short vacations are not taken into considerations. for example, if I had H1B visa in US and went for 2 week's vacation in Feb, upon my return in March, I an apply for PR. I do not have to wait for 1 year from March. 1 year starts from the date I first entered US using my current visa.

Having said that, your current "out-of-status" status may affect your case. And your application may be refused unless you apply from your home country.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
An out-of-status situation affects a PR application only from the "lawfully admitted for 1yr" policy perspective. My question is in regards to the application of that policy in reference to H1B holders and specific circumstances of multiple entries under the H1B status.

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
The type of visa is not the point. The relevant point is that 1 year status, regardless of what the status is, is held by the person being sponsored when application is made. If a person had visitor status, work permit etc. permanent residence that allowed to remain lawfully in that country for a minimum of a year then application could be made from that country. If less than that then they must make application from a country where they have this type status which would ordinarily be their country of citizenship.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
I think this may settle everyone's understanding, including mine, of the issue at thand. This is an extract from manuals used by canadian immigration officers.

5.17. What is meant by “lawfully admitted”
The intent of R11 is not to expend energy on front-end R11 eligibility screening, but rather to
protect program integrity by ensuring that applications are submitted to offices with the
appropriate expertise and local knowledge. However, there may be times when R11 eligibility will
determine case processing actions (file transfers, for example) and the following information on
“lawful admission” should assist in determining R11 eligibility in these cases.
1. For the purposes of R11, “lawful admission” is broadly defined and may cover many
situations, a few of which are described below. However, the circumstances in which an
individual has not been lawfully admitted and is therefore ineligible to apply at a visa office are
limited to:

i) persons who entered a country without status and still have no status in that
country. Under R11, they are not eligible to apply in the country where they
currently are living without status.
ii) persons who, at the time of the submission of their application, are not physically
in a country served by the visa office through which they are applying. An
applicant cannot send an application to a visa office if they are not physically in a
country served by that visa office (unless it is their country of nationality).
2. For the purposes of R11, situations in which an individual is considered to have been “lawfully
admitted” will include (but are not limited to):
i) persons who were lawfully admitted, but no longer have legal status when the
application is submitted. For example, a person who has entered a country
lawfully but at some time subsequent to lawful admission has lost legal
immigration status is considered to have been lawfully admitted, whether or not
status has been restored at the time of the application to the visa office. Such
applicants may or may not qualify for a visa, but their application must be
accepted for processing and assessed on its merits;
ii) persons who initially were not lawfully admitted, but have since gained legal
status and have legal status at the time an application is submitted;
iii) where an individual enters a country illegally, and then makes a refugee claim,
the claim must be finally determined. If positive, the person could be considered
"lawfully admitted" on the date the positive decision is made on the claim. Making
a refugee claim in itself does not regularize a person's immigration status and
does not imply that the person has been "lawfully admitted." In Canada and the
United States, during the processing of a refugee/asylum claim, the individual
does not have lawful status. Therefore, a person would not be considered to be
lawfully admitted until a positive decision has been received on the claim.
However, other countries vary in their interpretation of what type of status an
individual may have while awaiting a decision on a refugee claim. Therefore,
officers should require applicants to provide documentary evidence of their lawful
status. In all instances, a positive decision on a claim would certainly provide the
individual with lawful status.
It is the opinion of Legal Services that the making of a refugee claim alone does
not regularize a person's immigration status for the purpose of making an
application for a visa (either permanent or temporary) to Canada.
The granting of the asylum decision is the determinative date of a person's
immigration status. The date the decision is rendered on the asylum claim
becomes the date the individual is considered to be “lawfully admitted.”
3. R11(1) also stipulates that an applicant must have been lawfully admitted for at least one year
when applying for permanent residence.
Persons who are applying for permanent residence must be residing in and have been legally
admitted for a period of at least one year to the country which the visa office receiving the
application serves. The applicant is not required to have been residing in the country for one year
at the time of application, but to have been lawfully admitted to that country for a minimum oneyear
period at the time of application.
For example, under R11(1), an individual may have lawfully entered and be currently residing in a
country on the basis of a one-year work permit. Anytime during that year, the individual would be
eligible under R11(1) to apply for permanent residence to Canada through the visa office
responsible for applications from the country in which the individual is residing.
Applicants for temporary resident services must have been lawfully admitted (although there is no
time requirement).
Note: Family members included in an application for permanent residence or an application for a
temporary purpose, do not need to have been lawfully admitted to the country in which the application
is submitted. Such a requirement would make it impossible for some families to submit visa
applications anywhere.

In short, when determining residency in a particular country, offices should take into account any
official document showing that the applicant has been granted legal status in that country for a
period of one year or has been living there lawfully for at least one year.

M

mrandmrsromero

cempjwi said:
ii) persons who, at the time of the submission of their application, are not physically
in a country served by the visa office through which they are applying. An
applicant cannot send an application to a visa office if they are not physically in a
country served by that visa office (unless it is their country of nationality).
Does this officially mean that a person who entered a country illegally can remain in that country while their PR application is processing outland in the country of nationality?

If a person chooses to remain in the resident country undocumented during the CIC application process, would they not be increasing their risk of deportation?

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
So based on the information submitted from the manual, what is your opinion cempjwl with respect to where you stand or do you want an interpretation of the manual information? I know where it leads me.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
It depends on the angle that is applied. I entered the US legally under work visas (H1B) for at least 6yrs (validity if my 3 consecutive work visas) so that would make me qualify. The policy does not seem to state that it must be the 'last entry' which obviously was not for 1yr but rather 10mos. However, the conditions of my status in the US were not removed just because i left the country for 10days and came back. I was still being admitted for the length of my work visa, which in all cases was for over a year each. So if I used that angle, then I should not have any issues even if i lost my status later on.

Does anyone have a different interpretation?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I think the applicant has to be in the third country on a visa (or whatever) that is good for one year or more, when the application is sent in. He/she does not actually have to have been in the country for one year straight with no breaks: as soon as someone gets a visa good for a year, and has used it to enter the country, he/she can then use that visa as proof he/she can apply from that country.
But the applicant does have to be in the third country while applying for the PR visa for Canada. Having had a visa good for a year in the past, but not having one now, will not work.

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
cempjwi said:
It depends on the angle that is applied. I entered the US legally under work visas (H1B) for at least 6yrs (validity if my 3 consecutive work visas) so that would make me qualify. The policy does not seem to state that it must be the 'last entry' which obviously was not for 1yr but rather 10mos. However, the conditions of my status in the US were not removed just because i left the country for 10days and came back. I was still being admitted for the length of my work visa, which in all cases was for over a year each. So if I used that angle, then I should not have any issues even if i lost my status later on.

Does anyone have a different interpretation?
Yeah, I read it the same way as you do, although obviously I'm not a lawyer or anything like that. As long as you're in the States when your application is submitted I think you're fine.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I agree, I'd say you're good to go!

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
The relevant part of the quoted passage seems to me to be this:

"For example, a person who has entered a country
lawfully but at some time subsequent to lawful admission has lost legal
immigration status is considered to have been lawfully admitted, whether or not
status has been restored at the time of the application to the visa office. Such
applicants may or may not qualify for a visa, but their application must be
accepted for processing and assessed on its merits;"

So I'd say that if you were present in the US when the application was submitted, and had been residing there continuously since the time you were admitted with permission to stay for one year, then you're all right. The vacations aren't relevant as long as your residence was in the U.S.

What I find remarkable is how they single out refugee claimants. If you've overstayed your visa, they say that's fine. But if you're escaping persecution in your home country and just haven't had a chance to prove it yet, then they think you should go back there to apply. Brilliant!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Read this and note the part red:

Persons who are applying for permanent residence must be residing in and have been legally
admitted for a period of at least one year to the country which the visa office receiving the
application serves. The applicant is not required to have been residing in the country for one year
at the time of application, but to have been lawfully admitted to that country for a minimum oneyear

Approved refugee claimants are NOT required to go back to their home country to apply. In fact, I believe they are required to file the permanent resident application within 120 days of the decision.

frege said:
What I find remarkable is how they single out refugee claimants. If you've overstayed your visa, they say that's fine. But if you're escaping persecution in your home country and just haven't had a chance to prove it yet, then they think you should go back there to apply. Brilliant!

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
SenoritaBella said:
Read this and note the part red:

Approved refugee claimants are NOT required to go back to their home country to apply. In fact, I believe they are required to file the permanent resident application within 120 days of the decision.
Hi SenoritaBella,

In my opinion, the passage I quoted contradicts the part you highlighted in red. I find this somewhat baffling, but since the part I quoted is intended as clarification, it seems to me to be something of an exception. I might be wrong, but that's my reading of the text.

Regarding refugee claimants, I'm not talking about ones who have already been approved. I'm talking about those waiting for approval in a country other than Canada. This can take a long time in some countries. What if you marry a Canadian while you're waiting?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frege said:
Hi SenoritaBella,

In my opinion, the passage I quoted contradicts the part you highlighted in red. I find this somewhat baffling, but since the part I quoted is intended as clarification, it seems to me to be something of an exception. I might be wrong, but that's my reading of the text.

Regarding refugee claimants, I'm not talking about ones who have already been approved. I'm talking about those waiting for approval in a country other than Canada. This can take a long time in some countries. What if you marry a Canadian while you're waiting?
There is no contradiction. I'll give an example:
Admitted to the US on ANY type of work or study permit on Jan 1, 2012 and that permit is valid for 1 year. On January 2, 2012 you can apply for permanent residence to Canada (any program) and choose the appropriate US visa office for processing of your application.

Your quote discussed losing status after being admitted. Two different things.

Regarding your other point, refugee claimants are not processed the same way as other applications. They must prove torture and persecution, fear for life and safety, not be in a "safe third country", have no protection available ANYWHERE in their own country from police, government, etc. It's comparing apples to oranges. It's a very specialized section of immigration law and NOBODY on here that I've seen is qualified to discuss it at more than a basic level. However, that said, if a refugee claimant married a Canadian before their refugee application has been decided, the Canadian can apply to sponsor them for permanent residence as a member of the family class. A refugee claim is not an application for PR.