+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last Semester (if it is Summer) working hour limit for an International Student

Alam1622

Jul 7, 2021
Hello
I am asking for help on behalf of my friend regarding his last semester working hour limitation. This current summer- 2021 semester will be his last semester. As per the rule, any international student can work 20 hours per week if he/she maintains a full-time studentship in Winter and Fall, and he/she can work full time (40 hours per week) in summer and in the scheduled break in between the semester ( provided that it is mentioned in the study permit, off-campus and on-campus working eligibility ).

But he heard from somewhere that he can not work full time this summer as it is his last semester.
Now my question :
1: Is this information is correct?
2: Does he need to continue one more semester (Fall-2021) to work full time this summer?
3: Or should he stop working full time immediately if he wants to be graduated this summer?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. The information is incorrect. Your "friend" is not on a scheduled break; your "friend" is in a class. Your "friend" can only work 20 hours.
2. You need to be on a scheduled break to work full time. If you were on a scheduled break right now, you would need another semester of full time classes to be able to work full time this semester.
3. Stop working full time.

Working more than 20 hours per week is a violation of your study permit conditions. You can lose your student status for doing this, and may not be approved for a study or work permit in the future. You may also have to leave the country.

liamle

Jul 13, 2021
You can not work more than 20 hours if it is your last semester.
Schedule break only apply when you are full time in previous semester and next semester.
Full time - Schedule break - Full time.

Like i did full time in Spring, schedule break in Summer, Full time in Fall.