+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last name change

heather.rajat

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
I changed my last name to my husband's surname. My license and health care, along with banks, accounts, etc..have been updated.

I will not be updating my passport because I just got it a few months ago, for 10 years, and i would have to start fresh. Waste of money.

Question is, what name should I use to apply? I would like to use the name I use daily, which is my husband's. However, my passport says my maiden name.

I am the sponsor, by the way, not the principal applicant.

Thanks for any insight!

heather.rajat

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
I changed my last name to my husband's surname. My license and health care, along with banks, accounts, etc..have been updated.

I will not be updating my passport because I just got it a few months ago, for 10 years, and i would have to start fresh. Waste of money.

Question is, what name should I use to apply? I would like to use the name I use daily, which is my husband's. However, my passport says my maiden name.

I am the sponsor, by the way, not the principal applicant.

Thanks for any insight!

anyone?

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
In my case I applied with maiden name. I change all I can for i.d. except passport. After i applied. Not legally though. I would think use the husband's name. Explain exact reason for not changing passport.

haXudon

May 31, 2015
sponsor must use the name you have in your Driver's License, PR card, Health Care card. basically what you use here in Canada. It doesn't matter what your name in your passport is. it is not needed for SA (Sponsorship Approval).

but let's say you already submitted your application, whatever changes you have in your status (i.e. change of address, change of name, change of marital status), you have to immediately inform IRCC through email then attach your application number.