+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LAST NAME CHANGE

SherifDiab

Mar 14, 2016
Hi Folks,

I applied for the Canadian Citizenship, I added my first name as "Sherif" and Last Name as "Diab". This is my legal name in all the documents including provincial, driving IDs and passport name (Home Country Passport) since I came to Canada. The problem that when I received my Canadian Citizenship Certificate, they added part of my full name to the last name. So My Name became "Sherif ***DIAB" where Last name= ***DIAB instead of only showing as "DIAB" as the last Name. This is how supposed my name to show up on Canadian Certificate as well as the Passport as I provided in my application when I applied. "Sherif Diab"

Please guys I need advise on how to fix this mistake as it will affect my last name in any legal matter.

Note that: I just received my Canadian Certificate and in the process to apply for the Passport (Not yet submitted for passport).

Your advise will be highly appreciated. Thanks

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SherifDiab said:
Hi Folks,

I applied for the Canadian Citizenship, I added my first name as "Sherif" and Last Name as "Diab". This is my legal name in all the documents including provincial, driving IDs and passport name (Home Country Passport) since I came to Canada. The problem that when I received my Canadian Citizenship Certificate, they added part of my full name to the last name. So My Name became "Sherif ***DIAB" where Last name= ***DIAB instead of only showing as "DIAB" as the last Name. This is how supposed my name to show up on Canadian Certificate as well as the Passport as I provided in my application when I applied. "Sherif Diab"

Please guys I need advise on how to fix this mistake as it will affect my last name in any legal matter.

Note that: I just received my Canadian Certificate and in the process to apply for the Passport (Not yet submitted for passport).

Your advise will be highly appreciated. Thanks
I've been told in Service Canada that if the name on your Citizenship Certificate don't match your other documents, you won't get the passport. One way it's to change your every piece of document with the legal name change, or ask to get the new certificate. I don't have my citizenship certificate, but that was my precaution to ask them about this issue.
Most probably people who actually underwent this process might help you better.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi I m in same situation have all my doc's except pr card on my married name as it took a yr for cic to just renew my damn pr with all marriage proof n driving license as well but they didn't. I was any ways applying for citizenship so lost my patience so for my citizenship I requested again for name change they asked for marriage certificate n provincial id which I provided so far my on line profile as well its under my married name so hopefully should be fine...hope it helps

markarbet

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
Just write them a letter and ask to change the name on Certificate. You have to attach the copies of your legal documents including your passport with Canadian Visa, Record of landing and Driver Licence. There is not a big problem to change the name on Certificate.