+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last minute offer of a place

nuntius

Jul 20, 2011
Hi All,

I have just been given a place on a Post-graduate degree at UBC which is due to start in early September. From what I have read about processing times in the UK and online there is no chance I will get a Study Visa by then. I am a UK citizen.

1. Is there any way I can enter on a Temporary Resident Visa (which I think I can get as I land in Canada) and then apply from either inside Canada or send my documents home and have the application done and sent back to me?

2. Is there anyway that I would be able to have my processing times sped up because of the short notice I have been given?

3. Why is applying for a Study Visa from inside Canada not allowed when on the online site it gives the option of applying from inside Canada for an 'initial' study visa.

Any help would be fantastic.

RAJA045

Apr 29, 2011
I think the processing time at london office is between 4 and 8 weeks so if you able to make your application now, you might be lucky to get by the end of August or 1st week in September.I know one British guy on this forum who got his study permit approved in weeks so man you can give it a shot.
Unfortunately, I personally don't think there is any way you speed up the actual processing time because they don't have express services but like I said as a British national (LOW RISK COUNTRY) you might be lucky to get your application processed within 4 weeks = minimum processing time.

Lastly, I think you might have problems with you registrations with the school when enter Canada on TRV before applying for the study permit because by law the school is required to take records of study permit and place on your file so you might need it for your registrations. Secondly, being on a programme that lasts more than six months without the required study permit contravenes the law so you might get yourself in avoidable problems.

nuntius

Jul 20, 2011
Thank you RAJ,

I just sent the uni an email to explain and ask if I can delay my start so that I'm legal.

Do you know if it is faster to do the applicatoin by mailing to London or by using their online system?

Nuntius