+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language Tests can be exempted?

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
Hi PMM and everyone,

I have applied for Canadian Immigration permenant residency at Buffalo a month ago. They sent me a letter that I have to present writtend document for my English and French language test.

I do not know why should I take the IELTS exams since I my undergraduate studies was at an American university and I am currently a PhD student. I have been living in USA since 2005. I use English all the time starting from my daily life to prefessional level. I conduct research and read lot of technical material which is written in professional English, I work as a teaching assistant. Before getting into PhD program I had to take TOEFL exam. I was thinking if I can write them a letter and explain my situation maybe they can waiver my english proficiency test?
If I have to take the IELTS after all, the nearest location I found is in New York City, do I have to go to NEW York City? Can I do online?
As for French I marked that I have basic French. I audited French 101 last semester at my univeristy and next semester I will be auditing French 102. Now Can I present a letter from my instructor or do I have to take the French exam? again, can I do online? where is the nearest location to Buffalo?

Please I need your advise, thanks a lot,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

border9999 said:
Hi PMM and everyone,

I have applied for Canadian Immigration permenant residency at Buffalo a month ago. They sent me a letter that I have to present writtend document for my English and French language test.

I do not know why should I take the IELTS exams since I my undergraduate studies was at an American university and I am currently a PhD student. I have been living in USA since 2005. I use English all the time starting from my daily life to prefessional level. I conduct research and read lot of technical material which is written in professional English, I work as a teaching assistant. Before getting into PhD program I had to take TOEFL exam. I was thinking if I can write them a letter and explain my situation maybe they can waiver my english proficiency test?
If I have to take the IELTS after all, the nearest location I found is in New York City, do I have to go to NEW York City? Can I do online?
As for French I marked that I have basic French. I audited French 101 last semester at my univeristy and next semester I will be auditing French 102. Now Can I present a letter from my instructor or do I have to take the French exam? again, can I do online? where is the nearest location to Buffalo?

Please I need your advise, thanks a lot,
You are going to have to write IELTS and TEF if you wish to get the full marks. Most offices now insist on IELTS for English as too many applicants submitted a written essay why they should be exempted and low and behold at interview, it became apparent that someone else wrote it. So unless you grew up in a country where English (French) was the mother tongue, all schooling was in the language and it was the language of home and work, they are 99% sure to insist on the IELTS or TEF. (Celpip as well)

Google TEF and IELTS and it gives the locations.

PMM

maroraza

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
hi, IELTS means you will get Maximum Points for Language skill 16 points i can share with you my experience few months back when we submit our application then during all Process they didnt ask us IELTS Exam Test because i tick on Application form that i am mordrate in language skill because i knew high Proficiency means i should take IELTS and with mordrate language skill my points was 69 which i calculate before apply and they need 67 so no need to be over smart and mention that my language skill is high Proficiency , well during all process they didnt ask me about IELTS but at the time of interview they gave me 8 points for Mordrate speaker but still they now needed Proof for it and you know in most of countries mostly people do study in english which was enough Proof so they gave me 8 points without problem , and i tell you one thing its all depend on your visa officer i was lucky that my visa officer was good polite and without any problem he accept it this way , you can send them letter and hope it will help but sometime person who have your case if he will be not satisfy maybe he can require IELTS , my own experience is that i got it without IELTS ,but as mordrate speaker with 8 points

AP

Star Member
Jul 7, 2007
Hi,

As PMM said you need to take the two exams if you have stated your language profeciencies.You may try to give reasons and as maroraza said it depends on the officer who checks the applications or interviews the candidate etc.

There is no way we can take online IELTS exam. It would always be better if you send the test reports.This will also reduce the delays in your paperwork.

Regards,

AP

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I my undergraduate studies was at an American university
===================
Prove this with documents and it could be enough; however, I know a person who got bachelor in the USA (4 yrs of education!) and she still had to take IELTS.

maroraza

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
yes its depend on your visa officer , sometime if they need something their word will be final and you have to do it but some time visa officer even can waive you interview so all you can send them letter if they reply you that you should go for IELTS then dear you have to do it , Well Good luck

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
Thank you PMM, Maroraza, AP and Regina,

I feel that they will be insisting on taking the test because I have mentioned high proficiency in English language. I was not living in the country where English was the official language, however my high school was in English, it was a British school, then undergraduate studies was at the American university and my PhD is in the USA. If I know that they will count my work experience which I have done during my undergraduate studies, I was like a student help, then I have no problem.

The question is: should I write them a letter maybe they will exempt, if they insist then I will take it? or this will irritate them? thanks again for all of you,

monica

Feb 21, 2007
border9999 said:
Thank you PMM, Maroraza, AP and Regina,

I feel that they will be insisting on taking the test because I have mentioned high proficiency in English language. I was not living in the country where English was the official language, however my high school was in English, it was a British school, then undergraduate studies was at the American university and my PhD is in the USA. If I know that they will count my work experience which I have done during my undergraduate studies, I was like a student help, then I have no problem.

The question is: should I write them a letter maybe they will exempt, if they insist then I will take it? or this will irritate them? thanks again for all of you,

You may go ahead and write them a letter but 99% they will ask you to write IELTS and TEF. And personally I think if you have done what you claim then both of these should be a cakewalk for you. There is no online exam for IELTS and if you are in the eastern coast of USA then the nearest center is Washington D.C or New York, where you can take the test after registering online for it.

Monica

aivoges

Dec 18, 2007
Hi border9999:

If they ask you to take IELTS then you have to do it. The reason, i guess, is because the total point when you add up everything including education, work exp, ..., and "High" english language proficiency is very close to the pass-mark. I ticked "high" on all my English skills and CIC never asked me for IELTS. I was pretty confident on this since I got max points for education, work experience and some more points from my son (he was born in Canada and was only 1 month old by the time I filed my application) and my wife's education. Even in the event the CIC only gave me "moderate" or "basic" on my English skills I still got 72 or 68 points.

maroraza

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
yes when they see your score is going to be 67 to 69 with Language Skill then they must need IELTS but some people who have relatives in Canada or confirm job offers or with other reason if they gain too much points like 75 to 76 at that time they sometime ignor IELTS because with Moderate language Skill if they Calculate aplicant's points for language so this way aplicant got 8 points and total points are 16 for first language skill so they know even though they minus 8 from 75 - 8 = 67 which means a person with relatives there or job offer able get enough points to Qualify so they dont ask IELTS.

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
Thank you all for your responses and sharing your experiences. Thanks Monica for the locations. Aivoges and Maroraza, you are making total sense now. I am getting max points for my education and my age that is 25+10 = 35 points. My languages skills will get me as far as 18 points if I get high proficiency in English and basic for French. As for work experience the worst case is 15 points and the best case is 20. Total points is between 35+18 + 15 = 68 and 35+18+ 19 = 72. I dont have much room to play since I am not married, do not have a relative in Canada and no job appointments in Canada. I guess you are right I have to write IELTS and TEF.

Thanks again for your replies and advice I really appreciate that:)

bla333

Nov 13, 2007
border9999,
You have to take the IELTS no matter what. I've been in the US since 2000 (as against you who has been here only since 2005) and has worked with fortune 500 companies in the Washington DC area on mid management level and I was not spared from the IELTS requirements. Just take it. It can give you additional points and spending 1/2 a day on a test that's more practical than theoretical isn't too bad either.