+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing tomorrow!!! Please answer a couple questions, if possible?

kandc

Star Member
Nov 2, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
We received hubby's COPR on Monday and are driving to the Prescott bridge tomorrow so he can land. I have to admit, I'm quite nervous as they have given us a hard time there more than once before and I want to make sure they have no reason to tomorrow.

- What do we bring, aside from passports and COPR? I'm assuming he'll have to fill out forms they'll give him AT the border, he doesn't need to fill anything out beforehand, correct?

- Most of hubby's things are in Canada already as he has been staying with me since last June but he still has stuff that will need to be shipped up from Florida. The only thing we will be landing with is a subwoofer that we are picking up from a storage facility in Ogdensburg before coming back across the border to land. Will he need to declare anything?

- He has a vehicle which we drove up from Florida last June. He has not driven it since last fall and it has been sitting in our parking lot, uninsured (and, therefore, not drivable). We will obviously need to mention the car when he lands, but will we need to pay to import it tomorrow? Does it actually need to be at the border to be imported?

- Are there any fees (other than the potential car importing fee) that will have to be paid upon landing?

Any general advice or personal anecdotes would be much appreciated!

akoika

May 29, 2013
I believe you need insurance to be able to import it.

Why not just use a different crossing if that one gives you trouble?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He need his passport and COPR only. No need of any forms except Form B4 - list of items to declare at the border ( no need to show minor personal items like shaver, cell phone, compact digital camera, lap top, dress, shoes etc.......... ).

For importing private car and other "goods to follow" if any, read the link:

http://settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000503

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
kandc said:
We received hubby's COPR on Monday and are driving to the Prescott bridge tomorrow so he can land. I have to admit, I'm quite nervous as they have given us a hard time there more than once before and I want to make sure they have no reason to tomorrow.

- What do we bring, aside from passports and COPR? I'm assuming he'll have to fill out forms they'll give him AT the border, he doesn't need to fill anything out beforehand, correct?

- Most of hubby's things are in Canada already as he has been staying with me since last June but he still has stuff that will need to be shipped up from Florida. The only thing we will be landing with is a subwoofer that we are picking up from a storage facility in Ogdensburg before coming back across the border to land. Will he need to declare anything?

- He has a vehicle which we drove up from Florida last June. He has not driven it since last fall and it has been sitting in our parking lot, uninsured (and, therefore, not drivable). We will obviously need to mention the car when he lands, but will we need to pay to import it tomorrow? Does it actually need to be at the border to be imported?

- Are there any fees (other than the potential car importing fee) that will have to be paid upon landing?

Any general advice or personal anecdotes would be much appreciated!
We also landed at Prescott. Just to warn you, be ready for some attitude. Especially if he's from the southern part of the USA (from the US border).

That said, everything he has in his possession and everything he wants to bring to Canada, put on the B4 and B4A form. INCLUDING the car. You don't have to import it or pay for anything at that time. When you do import it, that's another PITA (Pain in the a$$). But we also imported a car via Prescott as well haha.

Good luck! I hope they are nicer to you than they were to us!

akoika

May 29, 2013
HAH! I just looked on google where that crossing is and I have actually crossed once, but into US from Canada. Never did the other way around. If you are going to Ottawa or Toronto there is another crossing, Lansdowne, where I never had any issues at all, they were actually nice to me when I imported my car. Lansdowne is closer to Toronto then the Prescott crossing. I even take it when going to Ottawa, although it looks like circling around, the speed limit is higher on the highways leading to Lansdowne. There is also another crossing very close to Montreal, St-Bernard-de-Lacolle.

kandc

Star Member
Nov 2, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
akoika said:
I believe you need insurance to be able to import it.

Why not just use a different crossing if that one gives you trouble?
Thank you.

We use that one because it's the closest, and he has things in a storage facility just across the border there. So it makes sense to go there to pick up his stuff and land at the same time, otherwise we'd be driving several hours out of our way and back again to go to a different crossing.

wilson said:
He need his passport and COPR only. No need of any forms except Form B4 - list of items to declare at the border ( no need to show minor personal items like shaver, cell phone, compact digital camera, lap top, dress, shoes etc.......... ).

For importing private car and other "goods to follow" if any, read the link:

http://settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000503
Thank you for the response and link!

parker24 said:
We also landed at Prescott. Just to warn you, be ready for some attitude. Especially if he's from the southern part of the USA (from the US border).

That said, everything he has in his possession and everything he wants to bring to Canada, put on the B4 and B4A form. INCLUDING the car. You don't have to import it or pay for anything at that time. When you do import it, that's another PITA (Pain in the a$$). But we also imported a car via Prescott as well haha.

Good luck! I hope they are nicer to you than they were to us!
Thanks! So can we go to the border in my car, leaving his at home, and indicate it as "to follow" even if it is already in Canada? And then when we are ready, insure it and drive it to the border to be imported? To be honest, throughout this whole entire processing, the car importation issue has confused me the most.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
akoika said:
HAH! I just looked on google where that crossing is and I have actually crossed once, but into US from Canada. Never did the other way around. If you are going to Ottawa or Toronto there is another crossing, Lansdowne, where I never had any issues at all, they were actually nice to me when I imported my car. Lansdowne is closer to Toronto then the Prescott crossing. I even take it when going to Ottawa, although it looks like circling around, the speed limit is higher on the highways leading to Lansdowne. There is also another crossing very close to Montreal, St-Bernard-de-Lacolle.
Yep, I live between Prescott and Lansdowne (actually closer to Lansdowne) and I prefer the 1000 Islands Bridge (Lansdowne) for SO many reasons. But, that bridge leads you to no where, whereas Ogdensburg is RIGHT THERE with the Prescott bridge. That was the main reason we landed there, and imported the car there. We went shopping for American food (as my husband puts it hahaha) and then came back!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
kandc said:
Thanks! So can we go to the border in my car, leaving his at home, and indicate it as "to follow" even if it is already in Canada? And then when we are ready, insure it and drive it to the border to be imported? To be honest, throughout this whole entire processing, the car importation issue has confused me the most.
Yes that is fine! My mom actually drove us over in her car while his car was in Canada. You have 30 days from the day he lands to get the car imported. And yes, the importation thing is VERY confusing. My husband with his ADHD and myself with some form of short attention span, got it done haha.