+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing to Canada after obtaining PR

Kaap

Jun 30, 2011
Hello, I am so glad to find this website. I received my PR last year and should land in Canada before August. I plan to land and leave Canada almost immediately and will then come back within a year when I have some sorted out at home.

I have some questions:

1) I am an FSW applicant. Can I land in Quebec and let them know that I intend to live in English speaking Canada or do I have to land in English speaking Canada or perhaps after landing in Quebec, they need to see an onward ticket from Quebec to another part of Canada?
2) What do I need to take with me other than the documentation given to me in the envelope at the visa office? How do I take in the cash? Can I just show them a cheque?
3) Should I also give them a list of goods to follow?
4) Can I ask them to send the PR card to a friend in Quebec even though I am an FSW applicant?
5) What do I receive from them when I land and can I open a bank account immediately using my passport?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Kaap

Manul999

Star Member
Apr 19, 2010
Hi,

All your questions have been already answered many times in this forum, so you have just to check out your topics in the former comments.

Good luck!

Manul999

Star Member
Apr 19, 2010

Can we Land Anywhere:
-Which POE to choose for 'landing'? Can it be different...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t35499.0.html

Landing, Explained:
-While landing for the 1st time, what to expect & to do...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t36735.0.html

Landing Funds, Proof:
-My perspective on 'landing' POF...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t39318.0.html

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kaap said:
1) I am an FSW applicant. Can I land in Quebec and let them know that I intend to live in English speaking Canada or do I have to land in English speaking Canada or perhaps after landing in Quebec, they need to see an onward ticket from Quebec to another part of Canada?
2) What do I need to take with me other than the documentation given to me in the envelope at the visa office? How do I take in the cash? Can I just show them a cheque?
3) Should I also give them a list of goods to follow?
4) Can I ask them to send the PR card to a friend in Quebec even though I am an FSW applicant?
5) What do I receive from them when I land and can I open a bank account immediately using my passport?
1) / 4) They are a bit sensitive to FSW applicants landing in Quebec and giving a Quebec address for the PR card. It would be better if you landed elsewhere. You could land in Toronto and not give an address, arrange a P.O. Box or a UPS in Toronto with forwarding to your friends address in Quebec and notify CIC of this address later. They often do not accept a friends address if they know you will not be staying there when the PR card is delivered.

2) You can bring a check or cash. It is better to bring a bit of cash because the check may take a while to clear.

3) Yes, if you don't want to pay duty on your goods to follow, you should bring a list.

5) Yes, you can open a bank account with your passport, especially if you have a big check to deposit. You need a SIN to open an interest bearing account but you can go to Service Canada first and get the SIN right away. The SIN card takes a couple of weeks.