+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing thru Windsor tunnel-experience

AP

Star Member
Jul 7, 2007
I thank you all for sharing your experiences which has helped me and many more on their journey to getting Canadian Immigration. Although the landing experiences are posted several times I would like reiterate for the benefit of others.

My Background:
I am in US for 3 yrs on H1.My wife changed status'and is currently on H4. I wanted to use AVR in her case.

The journey:
Left Detroit on the 13th May. I took my relative's car instead of renting one. You may rent too.Just before the tunnel I saw some security guys. I pulled my car to the parking. The immigration building is to the left. A lady walked to my car (Note: do not get down if you see a security personel.They will walk towards you).I explained that I have a valid visa but my wife only has a valid I-797 and I-94 do I have to do any kind of paperwork. She said no as long as I do not fly out of Canada.I paid a toll of $4.00 before entering the tunnel and went thru(Note:There are cameras in there and the speed limit is 30 mi/hr).Oce I exited the tunnel I was about to enter canada.Here the security post fall onto the right.We were waiting in the lanes. I thought it was a toll booth.Once I reached the gate I saw a security lady sitting inside.Here is my conversation with her:

She: Country of Citizenship?

I: India

She: Documents?
I: Was taking my passports from bag.

She: You were in line for so long and did not take out your passports.
I: I'm sorry this is the first time I'm crossing the border and did not know I will be asked for passports here.

She:How many days are you going to stay here?
I:Few days

She:How much money are you bringing?
I: Told here the amt and she noted.

She:R there any firearms, food, alcohol?
I:No firearms or alcohol only home made food.

She came out of her booth and gave me a yellow slip and directed me to a parking to the right hand side.She told me to park there and guards will let me know what to do.I went to the parking and one of the guards saw the yellow slip and tol me to go to immigration inside the building.I went in stood in line till I was called by an officer.

IO: R u landing?
I: Yes

IO: Your papers.
I: Gave her my COPR

IO: What address will you be staying?
I:Gave her the address

IO entered all details and made us sign our COPR's and asked us to go to the last table where someone will assist us.That table was custom's. There was a lady who asked us how much money was I bringing and I gave her all the details that I filled in form E677(you can get this on http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-f...). She was pleased. Then she asked what was I bringing with me. I gave her two forms same B4 as cover sheet. One was for the goods that I was landing with and other was the goods to follow. For the goods to follow I used the form B4A as addendum to B4. I made the entire list and listed prices in Canadian dollars. I did not get an evaluation done.I checked the exchange rate online and converted US prices to Canadian dollars and wrote the prices.She took all my docs entered it in the system and stamped and gave me back.(Note: I forgot to mention my wife's name on the importer's name on B4 and B4A.I wrote it in front of her. Do make sure everyone's name is on the forms during landing.).Some ppl suggested taking pics of gold ornaments.I cud not take it before leaving but I wud suggest one shd take pics to prove what one will bring later.She stamped on each sheet of good to follow list. Please insist if they forget cos sometimes the customs officer might stamp the first sheet alone.She gave the papers back and said "Wlecome to Canada"

From there I decided to go to SIN and healthcard office. In Windsor the SIN office is hardly a mile from the immigration center.I filled the forms and took everything along. It was easy.The lady asked me for the addres and gave or SIN numbers on the spot. For the health card the lady wanted some proof of earnings, tax payments rental bills etc.Since I just landed I asked if the SIN copy will suffice and she said no. I took the forms from her and came back. I will apply in future when I land permanently.

On the way back: IMy GPS took me over the Ambassador bridge instead of windsor tunnel.The US border security guy asked a few questions.

IO: What was the prupose of going to canada.
I: Immigration landing

IO:He checked our passports and asked any food, alcohol or meat you are bringing?
I : Only home cook food nothing else.

IO:you may go.

I did not mention anything abt AVR.I handed him my passport with I-797 and my wife's passport with I-797.He checked everything and didn't even change the I-94. I entered US in abt 4 hrs and everything went smoothly.

I carried every possible document to ease things for me and it worked.

I wish every menber on this forum good luck for their future and hope ppl come back to share their experiences first hand. It really elps others.

Good Luck,

AP

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
thanks man
very helpful
I just received my COPR n am planning to do the same at Windsor on Memorial Day
Did u provide Canadian address of a friend???
I need some help for receiving my PR card, if u can help
Did u try to open a bank account in Windsor??
Thanks again bro

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
Congratulations, AP!
Thanks so much for posting your experience. I actually came online to check out current landing experiences since I will be landing this weekeend and returning again next weekend, so reading yours has been very helpful.

I will also like to know about declaring the amount of money carried. Did you have to show the cash or did you use a bank statement from the US? I would like to use a bank statement instead of carrying cash. Would that be an issue? (anyone)

Also, when I am returning next weekend, since I will not have my PR card by then, I will be using my US Greencard, will that be a problem?

Congratulations once again...

baby123

Aug 3, 2009
Dear all,
all the fortunate ones may share their landing experience for the benefit of all.thanks

bavarian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2009
Even I am on H1B and I completed my landing at niagara and while coming back the IO did not issue a new I 94. I believe this was because I was in Cananda for only a few hours. Will this be a problem in future?