+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Questions and OHIP Questions

MustLoveCats

Jan 24, 2016
Your husband's insurance most likley does not cover what OHIP covers, which is doctors and hospitals but is probably coverage such as Extended benefits (vision, dental and so on..) so double check that part and you will most likely need to buy private insurance while you await OHIP.
Oh okay. I will have to check with him what exactly his insurance covers. But it would make sense that it covers what OHIP doesn't.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh okay. I will have to check with him what exactly his insurance covers. But it would make sense that it covers what OHIP doesn't.
Main things will be medication, glasses/contacts and eye exam, dental care, physio/massage/acupuncture/etc., medical devices of various forms, private or semi-private room in hospital and a whole bunch more but those are some of the big ones. Usually a percentage or a certain amount.

MustLoveCats

Jan 24, 2016
Yes extended benefits usually require you to have OHIP but once you qualify for OHIP you should qualify for the extended health benefits pretty quickly. Finding a family doctor can be pretty tricky depending on where you live. Personally would wait 3 months before trying to conceive and yes you should buy a private policy for the first 3 months. Things go wrong in pregnancy all the time and arguing with insurance companies is no fun if you need to be hospitalized. Read your policy very carefully because pregnancies are not always covered. 3 months is really not a big deal unless you are very close to or over 40. Getting a referral can take months in Canada after you get a family doctor. A family doctor will likely manage your thyroid medication the majority of the time.
I started looking for a doctor over the summer and found one in my husband's area. She will see me and accept cash payments until I am covered under OHIP given my medical issues and how we want to try and conceive as soon as possible. I understand your concern and most likely that might be my husband's as well. It's a lot to think about. And you're right, it does, and especially with my issues it will be risky. I will be 33 in August. I was told by my ob-gyn here to start trying no later than age 34 but the sooner the better because my doctors here wanted me to have a complete hysterectomy at age 28 when I had my first surgery for issues. So my clock is ticking but I understand it's just 3 months to ensure safety for a baby. So thank you for bringing that to my attention in a kind way. I would have no problem with a family doctor doing that. I personally have an endocrinologist. Some primary care physicians here manage the thyroid medications in stable patients. But I will definitely need to look into private insurance and compare plans.

MustLoveCats

Jan 24, 2016
Main things will be medication, glasses/contacts and eye exam, dental care, physio/massage/acupuncture/etc., medical devices of various forms, private or semi-private room in hospital and a whole bunch more but those are some of the big ones. Usually a percentage or a certain amount.
Medication would help big time. Especially for my thyroid disease. That all would be wonderful. Especially a private room. No joke. I had my 2nd major surgery for my issues this past April and my husband came down for 2 weeks to be there at the hospital and then take care of me at home. After the surgery I was put in a shared room with a noisy and nosy roommate. I was so upset. I looked at him all drugged, in pain and miserable and said, "We are paying the extra money to get me a private room when I give birth." And he looked back and said "Yep." Lol. So that is very important!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Medication would help big time. Especially for my thyroid disease. That all would be wonderful. Especially a private room. No joke. I had my 2nd major surgery for my issues this past April and my husband came down for 2 weeks to be there at the hospital and then take care of me at home. After the surgery I was put in a shared room with a noisy and nosy roommate. I was so upset. I looked at him all drugged, in pain and miserable and said, "We are paying the extra money to get me a private room when I give birth." And he looked back and said "Yep." Lol. So that is very important!
L&D rooms in Canada tend to be all private. Obviously recovery room not delivery which would always be private in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I started looking for a doctor over the summer and found one in my husband's area. She will see me and accept cash payments until I am covered under OHIP given my medical issues and how we want to try and conceive as soon as possible. I understand your concern and most likely that might be my husband's as well. It's a lot to think about. And you're right, it does, and especially with my issues it will be risky. I will be 33 in August. I was told by my ob-gyn here to start trying no later than age 34 but the sooner the better because my doctors here wanted me to have a complete hysterectomy at age 28 when I had my first surgery for issues. So my clock is ticking but I understand it's just 3 months to ensure safety for a baby. So thank you for bringing that to my attention in a kind way. I would have no problem with a family doctor doing that. I personally have an endocrinologist. Some primary care physicians here manage the thyroid medications in stable patients. But I will definitely need to look into private insurance and compare plans.
Would be more concerned about your health during pregnancy. Although many don't talk issues common in pregnancy they are extremely common especially in the 1st trimester: miscarriages, having bleeding that needs to be checked out in an ER, ectopic pregnancies that require surgery, pregnancy can cause really crazy symptoms like heart issues and many more, then you can end up getting dehydrated from morning sickness or even worse end up with bad hyperemesis and be admitted for long periods. Pregnancies can also be easy but if you already have complications your risk of other complications are higher. If you have a huge chunk of savings try to conceive and get private insurance. I'd save the money for possible fertility treatments that won't be covered by insurance (medications will probably).

MustLoveCats

Jan 24, 2016
L&D rooms in Canada tend to be all private. Obviously recovery room not delivery which would always be private in Canada.
There is only 1 hospital in his area it seems that does labor and delivery/c-sections if needed. Their private room is $290 which is cheaper than one night at Niagara-on-the-Lake so if we would have to pay out of pocket for a private recovery room we will.

MustLoveCats

Jan 24, 2016
Would be more concerned about your health during pregnancy. Although many don't talk issues common in pregnancy they are extremely common especially in the 1st trimester: miscarriages, having bleeding that needs to be checked out in an ER, ectopic pregnancies that require surgery, pregnancy can cause really crazy symptoms like heart issues and many more, then you can end up getting dehydrated from morning sickness or even worse end up with bad hyperemesis and be admitted for long periods. Pregnancies can also be easy but if you already have complications your risk of other complications are higher. If you have a huge chunk of savings try to conceive and get private insurance. I'd save the money for possible fertility treatments that won't be covered by insurance (medications will probably).

You are right canuck. In my case my husband and I wouldn't even say anything until after the second trimester. Unfortunately I know many women who had a miscarriage in the middle of the second trimester. Talking to you now, and thank you for it, has been eye-opening. I think I am just in a rush because I have waited so long, gone through so much, and we don't want to try and have a baby without living together. I think the responsible thing is just to wait until the 3 months are up and I am covered as I will have my own health to deal with. I had no idea there would be so much to go through especially when first trying and the first trimester. I truly appreciate your kindness and bringing me down to reality and think to do things safely.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are right canuck. In my case my husband and I wouldn't even say anything until after the second trimester. Unfortunately I know many women who had a miscarriage in the middle of the second trimester. Talking to you now, and thank you for it, has been eye-opening. I think I am just in a rush because I have waited so long, gone through so much, and we don't want to try and have a baby without living together. I think the responsible thing is just to wait until the 3 months are up and I am covered as I will have my own health to deal with. I had no idea there would be so much to go through especially when first trying and the first trimester. I truly appreciate your kindness and bringing me down to reality and think to do things safely.
I understand the excitement. Many lucky people think about getting pregnant and it happens for them and the ones who struggle often end up on a medical journey. Moving countries is already stressful enough without having to worry about a potential pregnancy. Always best to get you life organized before embarking on trying to conceive if you already have health challenges. It will likely take over your world. Luckily you have already found a family doctor and your husband has extended health benefits. Never fun or relaxing to have to worry about whether insurance will cover something. I'd encourage you not to wait too long before seeking the advice of a fertility expert if you are on a limited time schedule. You are already gaining 6 months to a year by realizing your application will likely be approved by the summer.

MustLoveCats

Jan 24, 2016
I understand the excitement. Many lucky people think about getting pregnant and it happens for them and the ones who struggle often end up on a medical journey. Moving countries is already stressful enough without having to worry about a potential pregnancy. Always best to get you life organized before embarking on trying to conceive if you already have health challenges. It will likely take over your world. Luckily you have already found a family doctor and your husband has extended health benefits. Never fun or relaxing to have to worry about whether insurance will cover something. I'd encourage you not to wait too long before seeking the advice of a fertility expert if you are on a limited time schedule. You are already gaining 6 months to a year by realizing your application will likely be approved by the summer.

Unfortunately I know that all too well watching a couple of my good friends struggle. Very true. And with my autoimmune disease extra stress will not do my body any favors. I'm sure it will take over a good portion of my life. I talked to my school in advance and each student is allowed a total of 4 semesters off for medical, moving, etc. We have never tried to get pregnant so I know sometimes it can take months to a year or longer, but usually when it is over a year to reach out so I definitely will be open with my doctor at all times. I still don't know if I believe I can be approved by summer. That part seems so surreal but if it's true we welcome it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately I know that all too well watching a couple of my good friends struggle. Very true. And with my autoimmune disease extra stress will not do my body any favors. I'm sure it will take over a good portion of my life. I talked to my school in advance and each student is allowed a total of 4 semesters off for medical, moving, etc. We have never tried to get pregnant so I know sometimes it can take months to a year or longer, but usually when it is over a year to reach out so I definitely will be open with my doctor at all times. I still don't know if I believe I can be approved by summer. That part seems so surreal but if it's true we welcome it.
American applications get approved pretty quickly an your case seems straightforward. Some applications take much longer than a year. It is just an average. Given your medical history and your previous doctor's comments I would consider a fertility doctor closer to 6 months. Doesn't mean you take a break from trying to get pregnant when you start talking to a fertility doctor. Hopefully you'll be surprised and not have any issues. Should also point out that you need to work 600 hours that year to qualify for maternity benefits. Your husband also qualifies if he wants to take time off. Mat leave payments from the government are not your full salary but better than nothing. Just thought I'd mention that as well. Coming from the US the system would sound very generous!

MustLoveCats

Jan 24, 2016
The reason I do not believe the application will be approved quickly is that there was two issues that happened when I was much younger. I do not mind sharing but it is the main reason I do not believe it will happen so fast. I was truthful in my application declaring my medical issues, but I also declared that I was arrested and detained for 15 minutes after a physical fight with my sibling (unfortunately he was suffering mental health issues as a teen and he hit me 2x before I defended myself then he walked to the police station a few streets away from our family home proclaiming I hit him.) I was literally released after 15 minutes at being at the station. A month later my dad, brother and I appeared at court where both the judge and DA thought it was ridiculous what my brother did and my case was immediately dismissed and sealed. I also submitted my clean FBI check and Certificate of Disposition from the local court stating the arrest date, court date and it was immediately sealed and dismissed. And when I was 18 back in the day when you could cross with an ID or birth certificate, I was in a car with a friend, her sister, and a friend of my friend. The friend of my friend did not have an ID on her and was talking to her boyfriend at the border. It was so embarrassing and so inappropriate of that girl so that one time I was denied entry. I included that as well. So I think the above may possibly complicate things. I'll see what happens but that's why I'm not getting my hopes up for a speedy processing time. I am praying and hoping for the best when we can try and see how things will go from there. I most likely will not work up there while I am still in school because grad school is already tough enough and I'm 20 mins from school and work part-time, I cannot work part-time there and drive the 2+ hrs to and from class, and get homework done and study efficiently. It is too demanding. I am aware of the benefits. Definitely a plus and much nicer than the states.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The reason I do not believe the application will be approved quickly is that there was two issues that happened when I was much younger. I do not mind sharing but it is the main reason I do not believe it will happen so fast. I was truthful in my application declaring my medical issues, but I also declared that I was arrested and detained for 15 minutes after a physical fight with my sibling (unfortunately he was suffering mental health issues as a teen and he hit me 2x before I defended myself then he walked to the police station a few streets away from our family home proclaiming I hit him.) I was literally released after 15 minutes at being at the station. A month later my dad, brother and I appeared at court where both the judge and DA thought it was ridiculous what my brother did and my case was immediately dismissed and sealed. I also submitted my clean FBI check and Certificate of Disposition from the local court stating the arrest date, court date and it was immediately sealed and dismissed. And when I was 18 back in the day when you could cross with an ID or birth certificate, I was in a car with a friend, her sister, and a friend of my friend. The friend of my friend did not have an ID on her and was talking to her boyfriend at the border. It was so embarrassing and so inappropriate of that girl so that one time I was denied entry. I included that as well. So I think the above may possibly complicate things. I'll see what happens but that's why I'm not getting my hopes up for a speedy processing time. I am praying and hoping for the best when we can try and see how things will go from there. I most likely will not work up there while I am still in school because grad school is already tough enough and I'm 20 mins from school and work part-time, I cannot work part-time there and drive the 2+ hrs to and from class, and get homework done and study efficiently. It is too demanding. I am aware of the benefits. Definitely a plus and much nicer than the states.
First of all there is no medical inadmissibility for spouses so your medical issues would only slow the process if you had a communicable disease or the possibility of one and potentially needed more testing or treatment before arrival. TB is the big one. You seem to have included a very comprehensive application with all the documents already included so you could be surprised. Crossing my fingers for you. Best of luck!

MustLoveCats

Jan 24, 2016
First of all there is no medical inadmissibility for spouses so your medical issues would only slow the process if you had a communicable disease or the possibility of one and potentially needed more testing or treatment before arrival. TB is the big one. You seem to have included a very comprehensive application with all the documents already included so you could be surprised. Crossing my fingers for you. Best of luck!
I am grateful that spouses are exempt from the excess demand especially since my medical issues are idiopathic. I guess we'll see what happens. Thank you so much canuck. I truly appreciate it.