+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing: Proof of Funds - In Australian Bank Draft + some CAD Cash

shalini_G

Aug 19, 2012
Dear esteemed members,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, but this is urgent as myself and my family will be doing our PR Landing in less than 2 weeks, and time is running out for us w.r.t. arranging the Proof of Funds..

I would like your suggestions/advice on the following:

Can we carry the POF in Australian Dollars Bank Draft equivalent to CAD 16, 000 plus 3,000 CAD in cash (we are a family of three).

I am asking this question, because we would not be staying in Canada for more than a week this time around, converting all our money into CAD and reconverting it back to AUD when we are back in Australia will cause us more than 600 Dollars loss in exchange rate conversions.

This will help avoid having to incur dual conversion charges, as we won't be spending this money in Canada, and will have to redeposit the money back in our Australian bank on returning back to OZ.

regards,
Shalini.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
When you get to the cashier's desk at the airport, the officer will ask how much cash you are carrying. You will then say "$19,000" (or whatever the amount), you can state that they're Australian. Or you can just reply "$19,000 Australian dollars".

I don't see if that should be any issue as it should be standard for someone to carry say, british pounds, euros, american dollars or any currency readily acceptable and convertible. More often than not, the cashier will take what you say at face value and may not ask proof to substantiate your answer.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: jdCanadian

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shalini_G said:
Dear esteemed members,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, but this is urgent as myself and my family will be doing our PR Landing in less than 2 weeks, and time is running out for us w.r.t. arranging the Proof of Funds..

I would like your suggestions/advice on the following:

Can we carry the POF in Australian Dollars Bank Draft equivalent to CAD 16, 000 plus 3,000 CAD in cash (we are a family of three).

I am asking this question, because we would not be staying in Canada for more than a week this time around, converting all our money into CAD and reconverting it back to AUD when we are back in Australia will cause us more than 600 Dollars loss in exchange rate conversions.

This will help avoid having to incur dual conversion charges, as we won't be spending this money in Canada, and will have to redeposit the money back in our Australian bank on returning back to OZ.

regards,
Shalini.
The officer normally asks how much you have in Canadian dollar or equivalent. The officer then puts down the amount you state. Thats all.

Proof could be in Cash, cashiers check, or bank statement. If you wont be depositing the amount in a Canadian bank then why not just take the cash you need and have recent bank account statement showing the remaining, in AUD. If convenient, get an official bank letter stating the amount you have, along with recent month's statement, and the equivalency to CAD the date the letter is printed.

shalini_G

Aug 19, 2012
Dear CanV,

I have read on this forum itself that Bank Statements in non-CAD or non-USD can lead to refusal of entry esp. if it is from non-Canadian banks.. I would like to play safe while at the same time not lose hard earned money in exchange rate rigmarole, especially when we do not intend/need to use that money in Canada. With that view, I think Bank Statements from Australian Bank in AUD is a potential red-herring.

Cash in AUD sounds good enough, but just looks very unsafe carrying nearly 15K AUD currency notes..

regards,
Shalini.

Reactions: jdCanadian

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shalini_G said:
Dear CanV,

I have read on this forum itself that Bank Statements in non-CAD or non-USD can lead to refusal of entry esp. if it is from non-Canadian banks.. I would like to play safe while at the same time not lose hard earned money in exchange rate rigmarole, especially when we do not intend/need to use that money in Canada. With that view, I think Bank Statements from Australian Bank in AUD is a potential red-herring.

Cash in AUD sounds good enough, but just looks very unsafe carrying nearly 15K AUD currency notes..

regards,
Shalini.
I personally landed with a bank statement from a non-canadian bank. Another option, travellers check, those should as good as cash. If you still wanna do cash then renember to declare above 10k.

Why dont you post your question under the permanent residency obligations section, you might get more opinions.

shalini_G

Aug 19, 2012
Thanks CanV, I've posted my query in PR Obligations section for more views..

btw, which bank's account statements you carried? Was it from the US or the UK bank?

Also, do the Immigration Officers deny the entry if they come to know about short duration of visit.. and the fact that we won't be able to lay our hand on the PR Card sent via mail in such a short visit?

regards,
Shalini.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CBSA at POE want proof of funds in CAD or any other freely convertible currency so AUD is acceptable whereas say Indian Rupees are not. As per customs legislation you need to declare CAD 10K or over including in any currency equivalency when arriving/leaving so let CBSA know when you leave Canada you still have the AUD draft. Don't carry cash...its asking for trouble from a safety perspective!

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
shalini_G said:
Also, do the Immigration Officers deny the entry if they come to know about short duration of visit.. and the fact that we won't be able to lay our hand on the PR Card sent via mail in such a short visit?

regards,
Shalini.
Not at all. This is very common that people come for short visits to do landing and settle in Canada later onwards. If the CBSA officer does not ask you your duration of visit, there is no need to declare that (although the customs declaration form you fill may have this question).