+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing>PR Card photo specs!

IT applicant

May 22, 2009
Hello All

Can anyone help clear the confusion around the specifications for the photos to be carried during landing?As per CIC website,the photos specs/requirements for PR card seem to differ in ways more than one from the one we submitted during PPR

As per the CIC link,photos specs for PR card application which needs to be submitted during landing is:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445EB.asp

Note:# New: measure between 25 mm and 30 mm (1” and 1 1/5”) from chin to crown (top of hair);
# have a 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″) finished size)
# be on photographic paper that has a backing which accepts and retains the date. Photos without this backing are not acceptable;
# be on prints that are well-fixed and washed to prevent discolouration;
# bear the date the photo was taken (not the date the photo was printed) directly on the back of one print (stick-on labels are not acceptable).

I thought we need to carry the same photos which we submitted during PPR,whose specs were:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/photospecs.asp

Note:The frame size must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″).The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31 mm (1 1/4″) and 36 mm (1 7/16″).

Can anyone who would have landed recently help?

cheers!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your photospecs are not for PR card but for a regular visa application, say tourist, student or workers visa. If your photos send for your PR application are ok for PR card, normally you would not have to carry photos with you for landing as they will use the ones you already sent. If they can not use the ones you sent, it is possible that they may take photos you provide at landing. I do not know. If not, they will contact you later to have photos taken.

IT applicant

May 22, 2009
Not sure what's the source of your info Leon but the link I sent was received in my PPR communication from Buffalo-CIC
Baselink:http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/Photographs_Photographies.aspx
It takes you to photo specs link,which I mentioned:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/photospecs.asp

The other link is clearly for PR card application,as stated(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445EB.asp)

Yes,you are right that they use the same photos provided during PPR for PR card as well and normally we are not asked for any additional photos.However I have been reading at some forums wherein the officer at POE have been asking for new photos(not sure if it's because the specs for PR card got changed recently-that's what I wanted someone to share his or her experience, who would have landed recently)

Thnx

Derry

Star Member
Oct 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@IT Applicant

Relax! If the BSO@POE finds the pics r unusable, s/he would click u on-the-spot. They have digital cameras for the same purpose in all their desks. They'd print-out 8 copies, keep 2 & also let u have the rest (a bonus I guess!).

The issues that u observed over the forum r not a regular feature. It's rare. And can occur even if the BSO clicks one. It's all a matter of luck. And that's the reason I always advice everyone to stay put in Canada at least for 2+ months - till u receive your PRCs.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There were at least a couple of people on this forum who were allowed to land but then contacted later by CIC, told their photos were not usable and to bring new ones to their local CIC office to be used for their PR cards. If you land and leave before you get the PR card, that can be a problem.

As for the photo specs of Buffalo, you can find them here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp has a link at the bottom for visa office specific forms:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled-mission.asp has a link for Buffalo:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37048.pdf has the photo specs.

The photo specs for PR cards may have changed recently but they were always different from the regular visit visa photo specs. I think it is possible that Buffalo send you a general link for regular visa applications instead of for PR applications. At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5256E.PDF you will find the applications guide for visit visa and they have the same photospecs you went by.

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
here were at least a couple of people on this forum who were allowed to land but then contacted later by CIC, told their photos were not usable and to bring new ones to their local CIC office to be used for their PR cards. If you land and leave before you get the PR card, that can be a problem.
Hi Leon
My friend just got a letter from local CIC office that the photos do not meet the requirements for PR cards. The officer at the port of entry did not mention anything upon landing though. They have asked them to attend an appointment bringing photos and passports. The family are not presently in Canada though so they clearly cannot attend. Would it be possible for them to ask a representative to submit the photos?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
One thing I've noticed here (over the many forums) that this PR card's photo situation occurs mostly in cases where the PRs have landed & returned. Yes, there r couple of cases where this happened with "present-in-Canada" cases as well - but the ratio is more tilted towards the others.

Does CIC purposefully do that?
Just my thought...

Qorax

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
Qorax,
I think it is not done purposefully.

The reason why we notice this kind of situation in the forum is, only people who landed and returned post this question in the forums. Landed immigrants in Canada just go to the office to take the pictures again and they do not report it to the forum since it is not a hassle for them.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
gjp said:
Qorax,
I think it is not done purposefully.

The reason why we notice this kind of situation in the forum is, only people who landed and returned post this question in the forums. Landed immigrants in Canada just go to the office to take the pictures again and they do not report it to the forum since it is not a hassle for them.
Yes, perfectly put Brother.
However, why I thought otherwise is 'coz I know scores & scores of ppl here, who never had an issue & neither they heard anyone else having such an issue.

As for my own COPR pics, I didn't even bother to read the specs (now I'm aware though) & neither did I visit a studio to click them. I just printed the same pics, which I had sent for meds, on my system & submitted it to CHC... and things went fine. I might have been plain lucky ! I get the jitters though, nowadays, when I think of that stupidity.

Qorax

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
Qorax,
May be you are right ... luck plays its role too.

In my case, I took the pictures myself at my home, took a print out from my home printer and submitted. In fact, I landed and went back within a week and came to Canada later. There were no issues with the pictures. At that time I did not even know that they reject the pictures after we complete landing.

May be thay are becoming strict with the photo specifications these days.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
gjp said:
Qorax,
May be you are right ... luck plays its role too.

In my case, I took the pictures myself at my home, took a print out from my home printer and submitted. In fact, I landed and went back within a week and came to Canada later. There were no issues with the pictures. At that time I did not even know that they reject the pictures after we complete landing.

May be thay are becoming strict with the photo specifications these days.
Moreover, these pics r scanned & then printed directly on the PR cards, as well as Hologramed. Both the actions require formating over a computer (& the ones on the cards aren't of the same size too, as submitted by us). So, why the worry (of correct sizing while sending)?

Qorax

jits1000

Star Member
Dec 20, 2009
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12April2009
Doc's Request.
10May2009
AOR Received.
10July2009
Med's Request
25May2010
Med's Done....
DONE
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
27Aug 2010
VISA ISSUED...
14Sept 2010
LANDED..........
6Oct 2010
qorax said:
Moreover, these pics r scanned & then printed directly on the PR cards, as well as Hologramed. Both the actions require formating over a computer (& the ones on the cards aren't of the same size too, as submitted by us). So, why the worry (of correct sizing while sending)?

Qorax
hi seniors
i did my landing on 6october 2010 still waiting for pr card , i called 2-3 times in cic they still say it is process will get soon , once they told me just wait till dec 15 if dont get just give us a call back( i asked for photograph they said it is gud, no prblm in that) ,but on cic website it shows 41 days , i need to back to india as i already booked my ticket , so why they r taking soo much time ? :-[
please guide me sir what to do ???

thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
jits1000 said:
hi seniors
i did my landing on 6october 2010 still waiting for pr card , i called 2-3 times in cic they still say it is process will get soon , once they told me just wait till dec 15 if dont get just give us a call back( i asked for photograph they said it is gud, no prblm in that) ,but on cic website it shows 41 days , i need to back to india as i already booked my ticket , so why they r taking soo much time ? :-[
please guide me sir what to do ???

thanks
Usually u receive them in 40-45 days.

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
So Qorax,
Do you think the local CIC office will accept it if my friend sends her representative (appointed through a formal Use of Representative form) to submit the photos and copies of passports and CPRs? in their letter they have asked my friend to appear at the appointment bringing the photos and passports.

Thanks for you help

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
wpc71 said:
So Qorax,
Do you think the local CIC office will accept it if my friend sends her representative (appointed through a formal Use of Representative form) to submit the photos and copies of passports and CPRs? in their letter they have asked my friend to appear at the appointment bringing the photos and passports.

Thanks for you help
From what I understand - No.
The applicant has to visit their office him/herself.

Qorax