danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
I'm planning to land in a couple days by road from US ... I'm only staying in Canada for 3 days and will return to US after that ... but I wanna have my PR Card application go through cz I don't wanna get into the hassle of applying for PRTD the next time I wanna come to Canada ...

I'm hoping the Immigration officer doesn't ask if I plan on returning and hence completes the PR Card application process (I'm going to give him/her my hotel name as address ... I don't have a friend's or relative's address) ... once I land I plan to get UPS box and update my address on my PR Card application online (or at an immigration service centre)

But if he/she refuses to accept PR card application, what I plan to do next is that after landing procedure I get a UPS box (address doesn't have 'POBox' or 'Box' in it) and submit the PR Card application to the nearest immigration service centre (I'm okay with paying $50 for that) ... is this possible?

is there any better option?

Regarding bank account, I called Scotiabank 3 times ... twice they said they will open an account for me with a US address, but the last person said no, I have to have a Canadian address ... I think I shouldn't use the UPS box option in that case ... or can I? ... (I wanna open a bank account cz I wanna start moving my money to Canada before I move there myself) ... any better option?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the immigration officer asks you about the address, you can tell them that you don't have one yet except the hotel but you will let them know when you have one. Then get a UPS address and update CIC with that, either online or by calling their call centre.

Worst case scenario, something goes wrong with the PR card and you don't get it, you don't need a travel document to enter Canada if you are visa exempt or if you are entering by road in a private car. However, preferably you should drive a rental car with Canadian plates because some immigration officers are particular about PR's driving with US plates. If you are driving your own car with US plates, they may request that you import it as you land. They may let it slide if you say you still need to tie up some loose ends and do not want to import it yet.

I do not see why you could not use a UPS address for a bank account.

SGPA

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
Can someone please explain how to use UPS box ? I am also planning to go for a few days as I have job in the US? any other suggestions.
How to get social security card in Canada? Any other suggestions about PR card if someone is planning to go to Canada for a few days?

I don't want to leave my job in the US? any suggestions what is the best way and approach to Canadian Permanent Resident Card once visa is issued.

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SGPA said:
Can someone please explain how to use UPS box ? I am also planning to go for a few days as I have job in the US? any other suggestions.
How to get social security card in Canada? Any other suggestions about PR card if someone is planning to go to Canada for a few days?

I don't want to leave my job in the US? any suggestions what is the best way and approach to Canadian Permanent Resident Card once visa is issued.
Once in Canada, go to UPS. Tell them you want a UPS address with mail forwarding. They will explain the rest.

SIN card you get by going to Service Canada and filling out an application.

If you do not want to leave your job in the US, you will eventually lose your PR status again. You must stay in Canada for at least 730 days in your first 5 years as a PR and after that, any 5 year period.

SGPA

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
Dear Leon,

Many thanks for all this help and guidance.

What I should tell the immigration officer when entering Canada, he/she might ask my address in Canada? Can I give address of any friend etc or is it not a good idea?

UPS in Canada? Is this United States Postal Service or some thing else?

Please advise if this a good idea to go to Canada for a few days and apply for PR card and come back to US or I should wait till I decide to stay in Canada?

Thanks and sorry for any trouble.

Best regards,
SGPA

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SGPA said:
What I should tell the immigration officer when entering Canada, he/she might ask my address in Canada? Can I give address of any friend etc or is it not a good idea?

UPS in Canada? Is this United States Postal Service or some thing else?

Please advise if this a good idea to go to Canada for a few days and apply for PR card and come back to US or I should wait till I decide to stay in Canada?

Thanks and sorry for any trouble.
You can give the address of a friend but if they ask you if you will be staying at this address when the PR card arrives in the mail and you say no, they may decide to withhold it.

This is UPS: http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/index.jsx

It doesn't matter if you get the PR card now or later.

SGPA

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
Many thanks Leon. I hate to bother you, I have somewhat OCD:) would you mind explaining what exactly you mean "UPS address with mail forwarding" Thanks.

Best regards and I apologize for any trouble.

SGPA

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SGPA said:
Many thanks Leon. I hate to bother you, I have somewhat OCD:) would you mind explaining what exactly you mean "UPS address with mail forwarding" Thanks.
It is like a P.O. Box with a private company except you will have something that looks like a mailing address instead of a P.O. Box address. You deal with the company, UPS, on forwarding your mail to your home address. It is a good solution for those who have no friends or family in Canada who can receive their PR cards for them. If you have a friend though, you don't have to bother with UPS. Your friend will do it for free.

Aug 8, 2012
Leon said:
Once in Canada, go to UPS. Tell them you want a UPS address with mail forwarding. They will explain the rest.

SIN card you get by going to Service Canada and filling out an application.

If you do not want to leave your job in the US, you will eventually lose your PR status again. You must stay in Canada for at least 730 days in your first 5 years as a PR and after that, any 5 year period.
hi, sorry to ask what is UPS address . i am landing in 2 weeks in calgary and i dont have an address yet ... pls advice

khalid h

Jan 21, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad.....UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09 July 09
Doc's Request.
11 Sep 09
Nomination.....
05 Jan 2010
AOR Received.
20th Jan 2010
IELTS Request
7 sent with docs
File Transfer...
30th June 2010
Med's Request
1st May 2012
Med's Done....
21st May 2012
Interview........
No please
Passport Req..
PPR1-18th July, PPR2- 17th August
VISA ISSUED...
5th Sept 2012
LANDED..........
17th October 2012 inshAllah
PR card time lines ? website now says 61 calendar days, what are the actual number of days taken these days ? recenly landed people to comment please

D.Osman

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
16-March-2009
File Transfer...
?-Dec.2011
Med's Done....
12.Jun.2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23.Aug.2012
VISA ISSUED...
25 Sep.2012
LANDED..........
by the grace of God at 28th Nov.2012
Hi friends, I'm planning landing in near future alone, I may stay for 1month then re-enter Canada with my family, Is there a way to get my ID Card in Canada by 1month or I should give the address of my friend who is living there? yr answer is highly appreciated.

hassan09

Jun 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw Ex Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
2nd AOR :19.04.2010
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
16.02.2013, Remedicals for kids (15.02.2014)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
Planning for October 2014
Dr Osman,

It take 57 working days to issue your PR cards, thus you won't be able to collect them while you are in canada (assuming you are staying for 30 days), thus i reccomend you provide and address of a freind or family and then once they recieve it, they will courrier it all the way to you.

hope that helps,

Heliosdz

Jun 3, 2012
Perth
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2006
Doc's Request.
12-10-2010
AOR Received.
23-02-2007
Med's Request
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
10-06-2012
Passport Req..
03-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-2012
LANDED..........
15-11-2012
Hi everybody, do you think it is going to be an issue if I provide a mailing address in Quebec on my landing in Toronto airport?

Thanks