+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing on my own car and readmission to the US

hr98115

Mar 1, 2013
Hi,
I am living in Seattle and got my PR papers along with medical document. So I believe that after medical I will have to report in Canda within 1 year. The problem is that I cannot leave the United States for one year since I have a H-1 visa with extensions which means that my stamped visa was expired but my employer promptly renewed the visas every year. My contract with my current employer expires in Dec 2014 and I want either my landing date ending limit till Dec 2014 so I can land in Canada but if I get my medical done within 90 days ending May 20th 2013 I will be given a landing date till May 20th 2014. Is there a workaround to get it the landing date limit till Dec 2014 not May2014.
The other option I have is that I drive from Seattle to Vancouver. I have heard that they do not detach your I-94 if you are going to Canada for a few days. So If I go to Canada and apply for my PR and come back will I be allowed admission in the US without the stamped visa but on the same I-94 ?
would certainly appreciate if someone can help me out here !!
Thanks

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
Hi,

If you have an expired US visa but a valid I94, you can go to Canada and come back to the US within 30 days without a current US visa under a system called AVR (automatic visa revalidation). You can do that through any of the US-Canada border. This applies as long as you don't apply for a US visa while in Canada. If you apply for a fresh US visa and if it is being processed or you get denied, then you won't be able to re-enter the US. But, if you don't apply for a US visa, you won't have any problem.
Just make sure that you take all the valid documents with you when you leave the US such as proof of your H1B extension, employment offer, valid EAD card, passport etc.

They will not take your I94 when you enter Canada. If they try, just say you will use AVR and tell them what the rules are. Sometimes, people at the border don't know the rules themselves!

soop

Jan 18, 2010
Hi

I just landed Canada using rental car and returned back us using AVR, i was in h1b too.

thank you
soop

Samsami

May 6, 2013
Hi,
Any recent experiences about landing in Canada without importing own US registered car at Niagara Falls POE.
FYI, I spoke to the CBSA agent and he told me it's Ok to use your car as you are a non-settler (stay intention less than 12 months) and you should convince the officer as well. but by reviewing this topic in different forums, it's still confusing issue.

Do the officer force us to import/register the car? any recent experiences (in 2013) could be a great help.

P.S. I'm going to stay there for a month and rental car cost me a lot.

Thanks

bigpeter

May 9, 2013
Hi guys.I am a norwegian citizen.I intend to relocate to canada. Since i am visa free citizen, , ie i can enter canada for 6 months.Within the six months , if it possible to get a work permit and stay or will i be required to go out to process the work permit?Has anybody seen anybody who can to cnada w ith an Eu passport and got and applied for a work permit wihin canada?