+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Quebec

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Hi All,
I will be landing in Quebec early next year from the United States. I am currently in the process of evaluating my travel options (drive or fly?) and digging up information on life in Quebec particularly in Montreal, NDG, Pierrefonds, Beaconsfield, Kirkland and Pointe-Claire. We are a family of 3 (my self, wife and baby); we prefer to land in areas with anglophone communities as our French is still in the works hence the specified neighborhoods.

Is there any one that landed from the United States by road/at border with their household property? Please share with me your experience - does not have to be landing in Quebec but would be great if it is.

Thanks

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
next2015 said:
Hi All,
I will be landing in Quebec early next year from the United States. I am currently in the process of evaluating my travel options (drive or fly?) and digging up information on life in Quebec particularly in Montreal, NDG, Pierrefonds, Beaconsfield, Kirkland and Pointe-Claire. We are a family of 3 (my self, wife and baby); we prefer to land in areas with anglophone communities as our French is still in the works hence the specified neighborhoods.

Is there any one that landed from the United States by road/at border with their household property? Please share with me your experience - does not have to be landing in Quebec but would be great if it is.

Thanks

It doesnt differ from moving from state to another. You just need to have all proper paperwork. Anything you import now or later needs to be documented. There is a separate form for goods to follow. Importing a car goes thru special process. If you plan to import it later, you still have to declare it in the goods to follow list.

Why are you going to Quebec? French is essential to finding a job there. Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of crap. There arent many jobs in Quebec to start with.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.
I have pretty much reviewed the processes and all the documents required. I am mostly interested in the non-official detail like
1. when you just landed did you book into a hotel or extended stay for the first few days, weeks or months?
2. any temporary accommodation places you recommend?
3. how did you deal with your property? public storage? costs?

I have a plan but I like to learn from people that have been there and done it. I am hoping I can pick up something to better my plan and it will be my first time in Canada so...
On your point about Quebec; I am aware of the language requirements and some of the challenges but I am keeping an open mind.
Responses/experiences do not have to be specific to Quebec.

Thanks

NewAdventure

Feb 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I live and work in Quebec. I can give you some pointers about the province.

It is true that French is essential in Quebec. If you are willing to learn and speak the language, the francophones are warm, friendly people (those that I have met so far).

Quebec has the highest taxes, long wait in ER (severe shortage of doctors) and the French/English divide and politics.

Having said that, child care is highly subsidised, $6 per day (you don't get that elsewhere in Canada. Please correct if I am wrong.). University tuition fees are the lowest in Canada, $3000+ per year. Quebec government is generous in giving out tertiary education bursary. Housing prices are lower compared to other big cities like Toronto and Vancouver. It seems that car insurance is cheaper here as well.

Every city has its pros and cons. I hope you will like it in Quebec if you are moving here.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
New Adventure,
Thanks for the info. Please advise me... What areas would you recommend for a young family to settle? Preferably with a strong anglophone community. I had identified NDG, Pierrefonds, Kirkland and Mount Royal. However, I am yet to establish aspects like security, proximity to downtown and cost of living in each area. I have established though that Westmount is expensive in many aspects.

Please share with me your opinion on these areas.

Thanks

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
I think in Montreal there is no such thing anymore as Anglophone community. The city is very small anyway the difference between NGD, Westmount and Hochelaga is a few kilometers. Of course, in Montreal the best it would be is to settle downtown. NDG is ok, but I always found it a bit dirty and old. The apartments are also full of Concordia students, so be aware of noise which I can tell you in Montreal is not respected.

Whatever you do I recommend avoiding Kirkland. I used to work there and it's 2 hours by bus from downtown. Mount Royal is mostly expensive houses, so I don't think you can afford to settle there (I could be wrong, I don't know your situation).

Healthcare in Quebec indeed is atrociously bad. The staff is inept and facilities are often unsanitary. My uncle had a heart attack and almost died from mould poisoning in the one of the hospitals. Ex premier Bouchard got diagnosed in his own "separatist" hospital and lost a leg. Do not count on that $6 daycare as there is a long waiting list, the roads and drivers are really bad....etc, etc.... I have lived on Montreal 15 years and Toronto 4 and there is just no comparison how better Toronto is managed. Also, Montreal is a mafia hub of North America. Just so you know.....

On the positive there is a private healthcare in Quebec.

If you are stuck for short term accommodation La Cite rents monthly furnished apartments, but they are expensive. However it is downtown and can make your apartment search very easy.

www.lacite.ca

NewAdventure

Feb 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi next2015,

I would say that west island of Montreal is primarily anglophone. I have many English speaking friends who live there. The eastern part is mostly francophone but there are pockets of english speakers living amongst the French.

The problem with west island is that the metro doesnt go there. So you have to rely on the bus or drive. I personally don't know much about west island as I haven't lived there. It is mostly residential and there are some nice neighbourhoods.

*Do read the post of the other members who have moved to montreal. Someone in another post, an anglophone, now lives in west island (I can't find the exact post). he seems happy. He also mentioned berri suite for short term accommodation

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Guys I really appreciate the info. It really helps make better decisions.
I'll be moving with some of my property. I intend to keep it in storage while I find a place to settle. What is the public storgae situation like and what are the costs for space enough to fit property for a 2 bedroom apartment? I'm ok with estimates you don't have to be specific if you can't.
I also read in one post about UPS offering post office box rentals. Anyone know the rates per week/month?

Thanks

shootingstar

Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10/10/2013
Interview........
18/4/2013
next2015 said:
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.
I have pretty much reviewed the processes and all the documents required. I am mostly interested in the non-official detail like
1. when you just landed did you book into a hotel or extended stay for the first few days, weeks or months? Yes hotel for 1 week. I left Canada within 1 week of landing to return to the US. IF you want to be there for a few weeks or months then look up airbnb or other such websites for extended stay accomodation
2. any temporary accommodation places you recommend?I stayed at a Holiday Inn, so no other recommendations
3. how did you deal with your property? public storage? costs?I would suggest that you fully utilize the government immigrant services within your first week of landing to acquaint yourself with the neighborhoods, jobs, etc

I have a plan but I like to learn from people that have been there and done it. I am hoping I can pick up something to better my plan and it will be my first time in Canada so...
On your point about Quebec; I am aware of the language requirements and some of the challenges but I am keeping an open mind.
Responses/experiences do not have to be specific to Quebec.

Thanks

zoze

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
PER 15-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
18-11-2014
Med's Done....
25-11-2014
Passport Req..
21-01-2015
mrbeachman said:
I think in Montreal there is no such thing anymore as Anglophone community. The city is very small anyway the difference between NGD, Westmount and Hochelaga is a few kilometers. Of course, in Montreal the best it would be is to settle downtown. NDG is ok, but I always found it a bit dirty and old. The apartments are also full of Concordia students, so be aware of noise which I can tell you in Montreal is not respected.

Whatever you do I recommend avoiding Kirkland. I used to work there and it's 2 hours by bus from downtown. Mount Royal is mostly expensive houses, so I don't think you can afford to settle there (I could be wrong, I don't know your situation).

Healthcare in Quebec indeed is atrociously bad. The staff is inept and facilities are often unsanitary. My uncle had a heart attack and almost died from mould poisoning in the one of the hospitals. Ex premier Bouchard got diagnosed in his own "separatist" hospital and lost a leg. Do not count on that $6 daycare as there is a long waiting list, the roads and drivers are really bad....etc, etc.... I have lived on Montreal 15 years and Toronto 4 and there is just no comparison how better Toronto is managed. Also, Montreal is a mafia hub of North America. Just so you know.....

On the positive there is a private healthcare in Quebec.

If you are stuck for short term accommodation La Cite rents monthly furnished apartments, but they are expensive. However it is downtown and can make your apartment search very easy.

www.lacite.ca

Can you explain a little more about the private healthcare? How expensive is it?