+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada for the first time

aubi.r

Oct 2, 2020
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could share their experience landing in Canada for the first time? I also have some specific questions that I'm hoping to get some answers to. When landing in Canada for the first time, is it necessary for the sponsor to be physically present? I read on the IRCC website that when landing for the first time you have to have a list of personal effects and their worth, how do you go about making that list? Does it need to be super specific? Aside from these questions, anyone sharing their general experience would be very helpful!

*nn*

Star Member
Mar 19, 2014
I have landed 12 years ago. It was a smooth, quick and welcoming experience as far as I remember. For the personal effects, just make a list of any items you left behind and their worth in case you'd like to bring some or all of them at a later date, they would be tax free. If you don't declare them and bring them later on, you'll have to pay taxes on them. You can just hand-write the list on piece of paper then ask for the form when you land and copy them to it. It's very important that you submit this when landing otherwise you'll lose the change of the tax exemption. Good luck.

Kate_Westlake

Jan 18, 2018
When landing in Canada your sponsor must be in Canada, he/she does not need to come to the port of entry, so it is ok even if he/she is in another city/province when you arrive. Good luck.

Reactions: aubi.r

MalekM

Jan 31, 2020
I am wondering the same thing for my wife. I can't go get her since Algerian borders are shut. She's never travelled outside of Algeria and she is not the most fluent person. Would it be wise for her to land on her own?

aubi.r

Oct 2, 2020
I have landed 12 years ago. It was a smooth, quick and welcoming experience as far as I remember. For the personal effects, just make a list of any items you left behind and their worth in case you'd like to bring some or all of them at a later date, they would be tax free. If you don't declare them and bring them later on, you'll have to pay taxes on them. You can just hand-write the list on piece of paper then ask for the form when you land and copy them to it. It's very important that you submit this when landing otherwise you'll lose the change of the tax exemption. Good luck.
Honestly I'm not bringing too much. Just a bunch of clothes, personal gadgets like my phone, laptop, etc..., just normal everyday things. I don't plan on importing or bringing anything later on so whatever I'm carrying with me at the time of landing is all I'm carrying with me. Do I have to list out those items too? Does it have to be specific like "x2 phones, x15 shirts" or something like that or can it just be general? Also I'm assuming that I can just fill out the form you're referring to once I get there and I don't need to do it before hand, is that right?

*nn*

Star Member
Mar 19, 2014
Honestly I'm not bringing too much. Just a bunch of clothes, personal gadgets like my phone, laptop, etc..., just normal everyday things. I don't plan on importing or bringing anything later on so whatever I'm carrying with me at the time of landing is all I'm carrying with me. Do I have to list out those items too? Does it have to be specific like "x2 phones, x15 shirts" or something like that or can it just be general? Also I'm assuming that I can just fill out the form you're referring to once I get there and I don't need to do it before hand, is that right?
I think you don't need to fill in anything if you're only bringing what you said you're carrying.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could share their experience landing in Canada for the first time? I also have some specific questions that I'm hoping to get some answers to. When landing in Canada for the first time, is it necessary for the sponsor to be physically present? I read on the IRCC website that when landing for the first time you have to have a list of personal effects and their worth, how do you go about making that list? Does it need to be super specific? Aside from these questions, anyone sharing their general experience would be very helpful!
Here ya go:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html

Reactions: aubi.r

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am wondering the same thing for my wife. I can't go get her since Algerian borders are shut. She's never travelled outside of Algeria and she is not the most fluent person. Would it be wise for her to land on her own?
Flying is not difficult. There are customer service agents everywhere.

Jillypk

Oct 12, 2019
My husband landed a couple of weeks ago and it was very straight forward. No specific questions as to what he was bringing etc. More just basic paperwork and asking where he would be quarantining.

aubi.r

Oct 2, 2020
My husband landed a couple of weeks ago and it was very straight forward. No specific questions as to what he was bringing etc. More just basic paperwork and asking where he would be quarantining.
If you don't mind, what kind of paperwork specifically?