+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada for a short period to activate PR

shankb

Jun 19, 2018
Hello,

Me and my wife will be landing in Vancouver in a couple of weeks for the first time after getting our PR approvals. We will be in Canada just for a week and have to return to the States for a few months before we can permanently move to Canada. The question we have is:

- During the landing interview, do we need to tell the officer that we are planning to go back to US in 3-4 days and plan to come back to Canada by the end of year? I've read that it's okay to inform about this; however, recently one of my acquaintances got sent back from the interview after he informed about his plans to return to US before he can come back permanently. They asked him to come back only when he is "serious about settling in Canada". So I wanted to check if anyone recently went to Canada for activating their PR cards and came back to their home country within a few days before they got the PR cards in their hands.

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
Hello,

Me and my wife will be landing in Vancouver in a couple of weeks for the first time after getting our PR approvals. We will be in Canada just for a week and have to return to the States for a few months before we can permanently move to Canada. The question we have is:

- During the landing interview, do we need to tell the officer that we are planning to go back to US in 3-4 days and plan to come back to Canada by the end of year? I've read that it's okay to inform about this; however, recently one of my acquaintances got sent back from the interview after he informed about his plans to return to US before he can come back permanently. They asked him to come back only when he is "serious about settling in Canada". So I wanted to check if anyone recently went to Canada for activating their PR cards and came back to their home country within a few days before they got the PR cards in their hands.
Well this is a citizenship forum but let me answed uf question. You do not need to tell immigration officers about ur plans to go back as many people i know have done what u r planning to do. But again just so that u dont get any trouble from immigration officer do not tell ur plans

justjain

May 19, 2017
Hi! We did exactly this in 2017, only answer what is asked. If you are not asked, no need to inform.The immigration officer asked us whether we plan on going back and we had to answer, so I said we will have to return for a few weeks to tie some loose ends. And he was completely understanding. The COPR was stamped and we returned within a year. I hope this answers your question

Hello,

Hi

Matut

Feb 28, 2018
Hi! We did exactly this in 2017, only answer what is asked. If you are not asked, no need to inform.The immigration officer asked us whether we plan on going back and we had to answer, so I said we will have to return for a few weeks to tie some loose ends. And he was completely understanding. The COPR was stamped and we returned within a year. I hope this answers your question

Hi
I second this. We did it back in 2014, when they asked us if we are staying we said we are returning back to the US and then will come back to Canada permanently the following summer. When asked why we need to return to the US, I said I had to finish my studies. Be prepared to asnwer this question with some sound reason so the officer is satisfied with your answer. And this fact will in no way affect your future citizenship application, for our citizenship application I wrote a cover letter where I noted about the fact of returning back to the US after landing, and we got our citizenship just few months back.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
I would not volunteer the information, but answer if they ask about it! It should be fine to be honest, as long as you are not defensive about it :)

Reactions: Matut