+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada, by air or land?

Moonwalk

Jul 20, 2009
Hi,
I reside in US, can someone please tell me if I can drive to Canada the first time after receiving PR? I am under the impression that I can only fly the first time I enter Canada.

Thanks!

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Moonwalk said:
Hi,
I reside in US, can someone please tell me if I can drive to Canada the first time after receiving PR? I am under the impression that I can only fly the first time I enter Canada.

Thanks!

It doesn't matter man entering canada through flying, swiming, creeping (just joking):) all is ok as long as you have a valid visa and you reach the port of entry.

Good luck in your new life in canada

Moonwalk

Jul 20, 2009
Thanks!
I eliminated the posibility of swimming some time back! :)

But seriously, my agent told me I have to fly the first time I enter Canada after I receive my Passport with PR stamping. I was planning on driving and still prefer to drive.

I can take my car to Canada without paying duty right?

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Moonwalk said:
Thanks!

But seriously, my agent told me I have to fly the first time I enter Canada after I receive my Passport with PR stamping. I was planning on driving and still prefer to drive.

Many people who reside in canada and get their PR visa usually (to save their time) choose to drive to the port of entry between canada and the USA and turn back again to land through the entry port at the same moment rather than taking an appointment inside canada with any of the immigration offices which takes up to one month, the agent is not right in his information.

rascojenkins

Jul 25, 2008
Moonwalk said:
Thanks!

Did your agent tell you why you have to do your 1st Landing in Canada by air ? Try to find out why he said so. I know you can land by any travelling means from the US.About your car even if you do your Landing by air you can always bring it later as part of the goods to follow.

Ra00

May 29, 2009
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
professional 1 said:
Many people who reside in canada and get their PR visa usually (to save their time) choose to drive to the port of entry between canada and the USA and turn back again to land through the entry port at the same moment rather than taking an appointment inside canada with any of the immigration offices which takes up to one month, the agent is not right in his information.
@professional1: a person having PR for Canada can still visit US (although he does not have any prior visa for US).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The US doesn't care if you are a Canadian PR. If you needed a visa before you were PR to go to the US, you still need one afterwards. If you didn't need a visa before, you will not need one after.

However, people with US green card do not need a visa to go to Canada. I don't know why they don't make that a 2 way agreement.

For somebody who is in Canada and wants to do landing, it is possible to make an appointment at the local CIC office or fly out and come back or go to the border. Even people who don't have a visa to the US can land by going to the border. You would just go to the US side and say that you don't want to cross and they will turn you back to the Canada side.

For the OP who is in the US and wants to land in Canada, it doesn't matter if you fly or drive.