+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

kshankar

May 14, 2010
oman
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
18.feb 2010
File Transfer...
Dec 2009
Med's Request
16 jun 2010
Med's Done....
22.july.2010
Passport Req..
25 March 2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 2011 with GOD'S will

ppatra

Mar 24, 2011
Hii all,

there are more questions coming to mind ...

(1) I want to land in Windsor through Detroit by rental car...so which route to take ?? Is it fine to go through the Ambassador bridge..
(2) Can I give my friend's address who is in Winnipeg, Manitoba (a different province) for completion of the PR card formalities ??

thank you

ppatra

Mar 24, 2011
Hii all,

(1) I want to land in Windsor through Detroit by rental car...so which route to take ?? Is it fine to go through the Ambassador bridge..
(2) Can I give my friend's address who is in Winnipeg, Manitoba (a different province) for completion of the PR card formalities ??

thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ppatra said:
Hii all,

thank you
Yes, if you are not PNP and you don't have to post your questions multiple times.

CAN20111

Sep 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just landed recently and below are some experiences I would like to share:
- Driving from Pittsburg, USA to Toronto, Canada; Landed at The Lewiston-Queenston Bridge. My first impression of this POE is too quiet… only me and a couple of others at Immigration Section , so everything went through very last, almost no waiting.
- Proof of fund: statements from Bank of American is good enough, no need of cash, draft or else
- PR Card: Here is my PROBLEM. I told the officer that I only stayed in Canada for a couple of days, would come back permanently later this year. And you know what… she refused to send my PR card to my friend’s place in Toronto as I did not intent to stay there for long. She said someone take advantage of health care without staying in Canada, so whenever I decide to move to Canada permanently, all I need to do is to notify my new address where the PR card will be sent. I am confused, it is understandable for Health care, but for PR card ????. Is there any docs stating that someone could not have the PR card without a commitment of staying in K for a period of time.
- The rest went smoothly though. One more thing about car import to Canada you may want to know…. You need to own your car at least 6 months to be qualified for free-tax. That was what the custom officer told me 
- SIN: people in Service Canada are very nice and friendly. I have a letter with my SIN number and it is all you need. Please advise that the SIN card can be sent oversea… I ask the officer to mail it to my US address.

Well, I guess my landing was haft good and haft bad ….But I could not ask for more… Toronto welcomed me with the best weather it could be this time (>75F :p)

maoist

Jul 18, 2009
Hi Qorax

May you and your descendants be blessed with good Karma for the good work you are doing in this forum.

In your answer to what is needed to open an bank account in Canada, you said SIN and residence proof.

What can be used as proof of residence? If I am just renting a short-stay room for a few days, can the receipt to used as proof of residence?

Thank you.

Maoist

qorax said:
3. Again Yes, u do not need the PRC for that. All u need is the SIN [which u'll get on-the-spot] & a residence proof.

Qorax

maoist

Jul 18, 2009
actually if u own a house in canada but lease it out to a arm's length person for a long period, that's not considered residential tie.

http://www.americanlaw.com/ustxperm.html

"Residential Ties to Canada

Residential ties to Canada may include the following:

1. A home which may be kept vacant or leased to a non-arm's length person or for a short term period; "

"Some of the steps that an emigrant should take in order to be considered a non-resident of Canada are:

1. Close all Canadian bank accounts if possible or inform the banks of the change in residence.

2. Inform Canadian remitters of income, such as mutual funds and securities brokers, of their non-residence status to ensure that they withhold tax on payments of certain types of income. Canadian Registered Retirement Savings Plan ("RRSP") and Canadian Registered Retirement Income Fund ("RRIF") accounts are included.

3. Advise social clubs and professional associations of the change in their status from a resident member to a non-resident member or have them discontinue the memberships if they don't allow non-resident members.

4. Ensure that a residence is not available in Canada for personal use during the period of non-residence by either selling or leasing his or her home.

5. Cancel provincial health care coverage. "

quote author=qorax link=topic=36735.msg289669#msg289669 date=1274062344]
If u have the following in Canada,
1. A Tenancy Contract
2. Ownership of a house
3. A car etc.

That'd be considered a Residential Tie.

Qorax
[/quote]

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think the receipt can be use as proof of residence. Examples are: tenancy agreements, hydro/cable bills, personal letters and government letters and so on, having your name and mailing address written in it.

maoist said:
What can be used as proof of residence? If I am just renting a short-stay room for a few days, can the receipt to used as proof of residence?

Thank you.

Maoist

ap_123

Star Member
Apr 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 June 2012
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
AOR Received.
01 August 2012
File Transfer...
14 August 2012
Med's Done....
30 March 2012
Passport Req..
11 September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
In Process 08 October 2012.....address change 30 Nov. 2012
LANDED..........
Landed Jan 25th 2013
@Alias

one question for you mate coz u landed recently. thanks for sharing ur experience.

I am thinking of landing in Vancouver in June 2011 but only for 2 weeks due work commitments.

Regarding PR card, Can I ask someone to post my card to me out of Canada ? As I will not be there for long to receive my PR card.
I am then planning to move permanently in 2012, Will this be ok or will I have any trouble doing this ?

Thanks in advance.

maoist

Jul 18, 2009
Thank you steaky

problem is there is no tenancy agreement as i will be staying only for a few days in a cheap motel.

steaky said:
I don't think the receipt can be use as proof of residence. Examples are: tenancy agreements, hydro/cable bills, personal letters and government letters and so on, having your name and mailing address written in it.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even the proof of address from your home country is acceptable. You can open a "non-resident" bank account in Canada with the address in your home country.

maoist said:
Thank you steaky

problem is there is no tenancy agreement as i will be staying only for a few days in a cheap motel.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No problem, you can ask someone to mail the PR card to you and come back in 2012. But there is a risk about the photo is not in specs and you might have to come back to resubmit the photos in person:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ridiculous-photos-not-according-to-specs-delay-in-pr-card-after-landing-t65961.0.html

ap_123 said:
@ Alias

one question for you mate coz u landed recently. thanks for sharing ur experience.

I am thinking of landing in Vancouver in June 2011 but only for 2 weeks due work commitments.

Regarding PR card, Can I ask someone to post my card to me out of Canada ? As I will not be there for long to receive my PR card.
I am then planning to move permanently in 2012, Will this be ok or will I have any trouble doing this ?

Thanks in advance.