+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

kingskid

Feb 20, 2014
rajkamalmohanram said:
Why do you have to do it? You are a Permanent Resident. If anything, you should convince that you will stay in Canada for 2/5 years :D . The TRV is for your kid and it is usually approved (unless the kid is medically inadmissible) or if there are some other issues.

I suppose you can keep extending the TRV for your kid as long as the PR application is in progress and once a decision on the PR application of the child has been made, the child can become a PR.

Please direct this question to senior members like Leon/Scylla as they will have seen many such practical cases.

Good luck!
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/child-born-to-a-canadian-citizen-outside-canada-t61657.855.html

serenity_eee

Star Member
Jul 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2015
AOR Received.
31-12-2014
File Transfer...
27-01-2015
Med's Request
Waiting
Hi

I would like to know for someone who has got PR (FSW14) and wants to go to Quebec after landing in Toronto. Consider she has got SIN using a non-Quebec address. Now if she moves to Montreal, should she expect any difficulties like Health Care facilities, Employment benefits, education in future for children (born in non-Quebec). It is understandable that first year she cannot claim any benefits. But how about the bursaries (living expense) that people enjoy while they are in full time education in Montreal? If she stays there for one year, can she claim social benefits for employment and children? Will there be any problem later in future when she will apply for citizenship?

jammin24

Star Member
May 4, 2016
Hi Raj, I'm a little confused about landing as an outland COPR holder. I see posts about making an appointment. Is this only for people who are inland? If I'm flying in from outside Canada, do I just need to bring my docs with me to be filled out/examined by an immigration officer at the airport, and then go to Services Canada for a health card? Thanks!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
jammin24 said:
Hi Raj, I'm a little confused about landing as an outland COPR holder. I see posts about making an appointment. Is this only for people who are inland? If I'm flying in from outside Canada, do I just need to bring my docs with me to be filled out/examined by an immigration officer at the airport, and then go to Services Canada for a health card? Thanks!
Making an appointment with an IRCC office is for inland applicants who want to "land" and activate their PR from within Canada. If you are outside Canada, you can travel with your PP/Visa + COPR, land in Canada and become a PR.

Health card might not be immediately available in some provinces. In Ontario, for instance, you have to wait for 3 months before being eligible for OHIP. Alberta and PEI, on the other hand, cover you from day 1.

Tip : You should apply for a SIN as soon as possible (available in Select airports) or from a Service Canada center. This will enable you to open a bank account and start working in Canada.

jammin24

Star Member
May 4, 2016
rajkamalmohanram said:
Making an appointment with an IRCC office is for inland applicants who want to "land" and activate their PR from within Canada. If you are outside Canada, you can travel with your PP/Visa + COPR, land in Canada and become a PR.

Health card might not be immediately available in some provinces. In Ontario, for instance, you have to wait for 3 months before being eligible for OHIP. Alberta and PEI, on the other hand, cover you from day 1.

Tip : You should apply for a SIN as soon as possible (available in Select airports) or from a Service Canada center. This will enable you to open a bank account and start working in Canada.
Great. Thanks for clearing that up, and for the advice re: the SIN (sorry I meant to say SIN card in my post, not health card). I intend to apply at the Service Canada center at the airport if possible. Good luck with your next steps!

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
rajkamalmohanram said:
Why do you have to do it? You are a Permanent Resident. If anything, you should convince that you will stay in Canada for 2/5 years :D . The TRV is for your kid and it is usually approved (unless the kid is medically inadmissible) or if there are some other issues.

I suppose you can keep extending the TRV for your kid as long as the PR application is in progress and once a decision on the PR application of the child has been made, the child can become a PR.

Please direct this question to senior members like Leon/Scylla as they will have seen many such practical cases.

Good luck!
I've researched this issue a million times asking so many people and everyone has said that if parents are PR and the child is not, then you have two options to get the child to Canada:

1) Apply for a TRV/TRP
2) Sponsor him from Canada.

In case of 1, if the parents are PR and they apply for the child's TRV, there is almost a 100% chance of it being rejected because the officers knows that the parents are PRs and the child is not going to come back. Remember TRV is just valid for a short duration. However the intention of the parents is to keep the child with them indefinitely. Goes completely against the concept of TRV. So that's why its rejected 100% of the time. When rejected, the parents can then apply for a TRP, however TRP is almost only issued if the applicant has some legal or criminal offense against him/her due to which he/she can't get a normal visa. So TRV/TRP is almost impossible to get for a child whose parents are PR.

2) This is the second option whereby one of the parents will need to be present in Canada for the whole duration of the time till the child's application is not approved. The sponsorship processing time can take almost 12-13 months.

Regarding the original poster's problem, I would suggest to have the baby delivered in Canada, otherwise you would need to go through the sponsorship route.

vj23

Nov 6, 2016
Hi Seniors, I have been granted PR visa today and the expiry date is 27th Oct 2017. Due to some family obligations I can not go for settlement by that time. Moreover, it will be extremely difficult to find a job in canada during winters.
Is there any other way by which i can immigrate before visa expiration and come back to my home country in couple of weeks. How will I get my PR card ? how will I travel back to Canada after my Visa expire. How much time does it take to get SIN and open bank account in canada

Seeking your expert advice. Thank you so much.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vj23 said:
Hi Seniors, I have been granted PR visa today and the expiry date is 27th Oct 2017. Due to some family obligations I can not go for settlement by that time. Moreover, it will be extremely difficult to find a job in canada during winters.
Is there any other way by which i can immigrate before visa expiration and come back to my home country in couple of weeks. How will I get my PR card ? how will I travel back to Canada after my Visa expire. How much time does it take to get SIN and open bank account in canada

You can just come to Canada for landing before expiration and return to work. Get a PRTD to return Canada afterwards. Don't get SIN and bank account until ready for settling.

vj23

Nov 6, 2016
steaky said:
You can just come to Canada for landing before expiration and return to work. Get a PRTD to return Canada afterwards. Don't get SIN and bank account until ready for settling.
What is PRTD & how may i apply for this. Can I request PR card in my home country ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vj23 said:
What is PRTD & how may i apply for this. Can I request PR card in my home country ?
PRTD = Permanent resident travel document. You can apply at any Canadian consulate outside Canada. CIC only send PR card to a Canadian address.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
jammin24 said:
, and then go to Services Canada for a health card? Thanks!
You'll need to go to "Service Canada" to get a "SIN number" and to "Service Ontario" for the health card..

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
vj23 said:

If you have a friend or relative in Canada you can provide his/her address to the immigration officer and your PR card will be mailed there once ready. If not, you'll have to apply for a PRTD at your local embassy later when you want to return back to Canada...if i were you i would try my best to arrange an address in Canada for the PR card delivery.

If you'll be staying in Canada for a couple of weeks , i would advise you to open a bank account and obtain a canadian credit card so you could start building your credit history in Canada this is "very important" for a newcomer! Opening a bank account can be done in 1 day, but you need to have a local address as some important stuff will be mailed to you (credit card/debit card..etc). Also it will be easier for you to move your funds to Canada while you're planning your permanent move i.e. you can simply wire your funds to the canadian account.

Secondly, get your SIN number processed during your short landing trip..it takes less than 5 minutes at any service canada location, you may want to explore your chances of applying for jobs in canada while abroad (its true the chances are slim to get hired while abroad, but it can happen..i've done a number of skype and phone interviews before moving here permanently, although it didn't land me an offer at the time, but it prepared me better for the job search once i returned back to Canada. Each interview is a learning experience, if you learned from your "mistakes" and prepared better for the next one, your SIN will also come handy as a proof of eligibility to work in canada if an employer is interested in hiring you.

just my two cents, good luck with your landing trip and enjoy exploring your new country!

crips

Jan 31, 2017
Hello All
I am a fswo applicant currently at background check stage. If I have to do landing procedure I have to do that anywhere in Canada except QUEBEC. But can I finish the landing procedure anywhere outside QUEBEC and give the address where PR Card has to be sent as Montreal. I have a relative in Montreal who can send the PR Card to my address in India.

nicksar

Nov 6, 2014
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Dec-2014
Doc's Request.
DD Encashed on 26-Jan-2015
Nomination.....
PER: 22-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
23-Mar-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the Application
File Transfer...
23-Mar-2015
Med's Request
5-May-2016
Med's Done....
First Round 11-May-2016 | 2nd Round - 10-Jan-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
28-Feb-2017
VISA ISSUED...
6-Apr-2017
Hi,

I got the visa stamped and am going to Vancouver next week for a short trip to activate my visa. Am too much worried about the pof upon arrival.

Am going there with my wife and infant and am supposed to show the funds of around 20k SGD. If at all am carrying 8k in hands and 12k in form of demand draft (Travellers cheque no more available in singapore), am losing around 500$ SGD in exchange and other rates. Any other options?

Can I travel with full liquid cash?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
nicksar said:
Hi,

I got the visa stamped and am going to Vancouver next week for a short trip to activate my visa. Am too much worried about the pof upon arrival.

Am going there with my wife and infant and am supposed to show the funds of around 20k SGD. If at all am carrying 8k in hands and 12k in form of demand draft (Travellers cheque no more available in singapore), am losing around 500$ SGD in exchange and other rates. Any other options?

Can I travel with full liquid cash?
For 3 people, you need to have at least CAD 18,825.

You can carry CAD in the form of cash, forex card, traveler's checks, DD and or a bank statement from your home country. Usually, people carry it in a combination of the above.

You can carry 18,825 CAD in cash if you want to but please check the airport regulations in your country. Usually, countries might restrict the amount of foreign currency (as cash) that you carry. We have this restriction in India, not sure about your home country.

PS : You can carry as much cash as you want into Canada. No issues. Its just that you have to declare it if it is greater than CAD 10,000.