+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alee667 said:
Short Landing in Toronto for 1 week in Mid November 2016.

My question is that I have to travel again to Canada for business purposes in December and Januray and PR card will not be with me by that time. Anyone please advise is it workable to apply for PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) for these visits and normally how much time it takes to get PRTD?
Depends which office to apply PRTD. Some in 2 weeks others might be months.

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017
steaky said:
Depends which office to apply PRTD. Some in 2 weeks others might be months.
Will apply from Riyadh (Saudi)

leiloola

Star Member
Aug 5, 2014
Mexico City
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2014
Nomination.....
27-10-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
Guys! Need some help here.
I'm landing with my husband and daughter next week (finally!!! after more than 2 years of an on-going process :))

Questions:
1. Is there a template to inform which goods will be imported when we move for good to Canada? As we are coming from US we will take all furniture with us and car.
2. Do we need to take any pictures with us?
3. Should we apply for a PR card at the moment of landing? We are staying just a couple of day and then returning to the US for at least a year. We do have some friends living in Canada that could receive our PRs - we could provide their address. Does it work?

Thank you as always my friends! :-*

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leiloola said:
Guys! Need some help here.
I'm landing with my husband and daughter next week (finally!!! after more than 2 years of an on-going process :))

Questions:
1. Is there a template to inform which goods will be imported when we move for good to Canada? As we are coming from US we will take all furniture with us and car.
2. Do we need to take any pictures with us?
3. Should we apply for a PR card at the moment of landing? We are staying just a couple of day and then returning to the US for at least a year. We do have some friends living in Canada that could receive our PRs - we could provide their address. Does it work?

Thank you as always my friends! :-*
1) Not that I seen
2) No
3) No, you are a new immigrant, you don't need to apply for PR card

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp

leiloola

Star Member
Aug 5, 2014
Mexico City
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2014
Nomination.....
27-10-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
steaky said:
1) Not that I seen
2) No
3) No, you are a new immigrant, you don't need to apply for PR card

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp
Thanks steaky!
I just referred to the link you sent: "If you are a new permanent resident, you do not need to apply for a permanent resident card. One will be sent to you automatically. If you did not provide your Canadian mailing address when you became a permanent resident, you must send it using our online tool within 180 days of immigrating. If you do not, your card will be destroyed and you must apply for a new one and pay the $50 processing fee."

We have not provided any address in Canada yet (we don't have one)....
So what should I do in this case? Can I provide in the moment of landing a friend's address?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
leiloola said:
Thanks steaky!
I just referred to the link you sent: "If you are a new permanent resident, you do not need to apply for a permanent resident card. One will be sent to you automatically. If you did not provide your Canadian mailing address when you became a permanent resident, you must send it using our online tool within 180 days of immigrating. If you do not, your card will be destroyed and you must apply for a new one and pay the $50 processing fee."

We have not provided any address in Canada yet (we don't have one)....
So what should I do in this case? Can I provide in the moment of landing a friend's address?
Yes you can provide your friend's canadian address. The officer will ask you for that address during your landing formalities, specifically when he'll be filling out your COPR's.

leiloola

Star Member
Aug 5, 2014
Mexico City
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2014
Nomination.....
27-10-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
emamabd said:
Yes you can provide your friend's canadian address. The officer will ask you for that address during your landing formalities, specifically when he'll be filling out your COPR's.
Cool!
So someone else can actually receive those documents for us (I've heard in the past that we needed to sign a receipt when PRs are mailed)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leiloola said:
Cool!
So someone else can actually receive those documents for us (I've heard in the past that we needed to sign a receipt when PRs are mailed)
Not necessary. If you read the thread below, IRCC might still want your address instead:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/experts-plz-help-new-landing-pr-card-not-received-4-months-using-ircc-webfor-t452020.0.html;msg5450653#msg5450653

Like the cic.gc link I provided, it said the following:

"If you did not provide your Canadian mailing address when you became a permanent resident, you must send it using our online tool within 180 days of immigrating. If you do not, your card will be destroyed and you must apply for a new one and pay the $50 processing fee."

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
leiloola said:
Cool!
Nope, you don't have to sign anything...they are sent via normal mail...you (or your friend) will just find the envelop lying in the mailbox. Let the officer know that you'll be staying with your friends at the provided address, he/she should be ok with that.

srk009

Jul 26, 2016
I just got my visa finally today!

I am from Dubai and I am planning for a short visit ASAP to apply for PR card, do some groundwork and come back as I dont want to resign my job yet. What would be the minimum and maximum amount of time to complete basic formalities as I need to apply for leave to my current employer. (PS. I have figured out a way to open back account directly from Dubai).

Thanks a lot.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
srk009 said:

I am from Dubai and I am planning for a short visit ASAP to apply for PR card, do some groundwork and come back as I dont want to resign my job yet. What would be the minimum and maximum amount of time to complete basic formalities as I need to apply for leave to my current employer. (PS. I have figured out a way to open back account directly from Dubai).

Thanks a lot.
Once you landed, you can take the next day flight back to Dubai if you want. However, you would have 6 months to let CIC know your Canadian address before they can send the PR card to you. Fail to do so, you will have to pay $50 for a new PR card.

Renitad

Sep 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/12/2014
Nomination.....
09/03/2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
11/03/2015,SLU 21/08/2015
Med's Request
05/08/2016
Med's Done....
13/08/2016, Medical Furtherance - 17/08/2016, Medicals passed- 7/09/2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07/09/2016
VISA ISSUED...
3/10/2016
srk009 said:

Thanks a lot.
Hi There,
Congrats on your pR. I am from Dubai too. how did you open the bank account? are your referring to HSBC.

gaurav1234

Oct 5, 2016
great info... but what about the international students.. can we land in any of the province other than the province of study. also i have a co-op work term and my visa says SW-1 category can i get a SIN on arrival and start working.. my course start date is 9jan 2017.. in kitchner ontario and i want to visit Edmonton at the end of OCT 2016 .to see one of Cuzon..

minniemouse

Star Member
Mar 14, 2016
Hi everyone!!
I have a question regardin eTA...
So I am sponsoring my husband who has already received his passport with the stamped visa. He is Brazilian. I read on the Canada.ca website that he does not need an eTA but I am still not convinced...it says that the stamped visa on his passport is "considered" an eTA already. I also read that the eTA program has been delayed until november 10th...is ths correct or does my husband actually need one?

Thanks in advance

zezu

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Toronto
Hi guys

I will be flag-poling at Niagara in 2 weeks time. As an Inland FSW, i understand i need to take my passport, COPR, visa, and show proof of funds.

• For proof of funds, do i need to show official bank statements with its letterhead or is an online banking printout acceptable?

And also do the funds have had to be in the bank for a few months?

Its so confusing to see people in other threads say you should carry pictures, WES papers, and even transcripts.

PS. sorry if this has been asked earlier, i have looked around quite a bit but cant seem to find details on POF.
thanks