+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

anshpatel84

Star Member
Oct 5, 2014
Hi,
I am going to Vanouver,BC this Thursday,May 19 to complete my landing process along with my wife. I live and work in USA on H1B work visa. My plan is to complete landing process in Vancouver,BC Canada on May 19,2016 and return back to USA on May 22,2016.I have 2 queries based on this situation:

(1) So even if I am visiting Canada for just 4 days, do I still have to go through the hassle of completing FORM B4 (Goods to Accompany) and complete FORM B4A (Goods to follow) as well?? ??? I don't plan to permanently settle in Canada until at leas 1 year from today.

(2) Can I apply for BOTH SIN & PR card for both me and my wife right from Vancouver airport itself?

Your guidance on this queries will be much appreciated!!!

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
01-12-2010 (Damascus, Syria)
Passport Req..
21-02-2012 (PPR1) / 15-10-2014 (PPR1 with chart) / 17-11-2014 (PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2014 (Received on 01-01-2015)
LANDED..........
12-04-2015 (PR Card : 09-07-2015)
anshpatel84 said:
Hi,
I am going to Vanouver,BC this Thursday,May 19 to complete my landing process along with my wife. I live and work in USA on H1B work visa. My plan is to complete landing process in Vancouver,BC Canada on May 19,2016 and return back to USA on May 22,2016.I have 2 queries based on this situation:

(1) So even if I am visiting Canada for just 4 days, do I still have to go through the hassle of completing FORM B4 (Goods to Accompany) and complete FORM B4A (Goods to follow) as well?? ??? I don't plan to permanently settle in Canada until at leas 1 year from today.

(2) Can I apply for BOTH SIN & PR card for both me and my wife right from Vancouver airport itself?

Your guidance on this queries will be much appreciated!!!
1) You are required to provide Goods to Follow list upon landing. It doesn't matter when you are planning to settle.

2) Once your COPR is stamped and signed by CBSA officer, they will ask you for a Canadian Address. Once you provide them with the address, your first PR card will arrive accordingly. There's no fees and forms for 1st PR card. However, you need to go to Service Canada office in order to register SIN. If they have Service Canada office at Vancouver Airport, then it would be easy. Otherwise, you will have to find the nearest one and visit during opening hours.

Red_DevilBah

Jun 1, 2015
Hi All,

I am landing on 24th June 2016, at Toronto.

This will be a short landing, due to my professional obligations I cant leave my job now. Will go to canada by Jan-feb'17 permanently.

I have few queries, would be glad if anyone could guide me on these:

1. Proof of Funds -
I will be carrying approx 1000 CAD (which should be sufficient for 14 day short landing) in cash and rest as a document i.e cheque, Banker's draft etc. I will not be en-cashing the money in cheque or the draft. Would like to know in which form/document should I carry the money so that I don't lose the money upon expiry of that document.

2. Mobile Number -
Can i buy a Canadian SIM card and carry it with me outside Canada for a period of 6-7 months? I want to keep the number active, which plan should I go for? and what is the cost associated with it?

3. Goods to Follow List -
Currently, I don't have any jewelry on/with me. So I will not be able to declare the photographs of the articles that I might have when I come back again in Jan'17. So will I have to pay duty for those articles then?

4. SIN
Even if I am not residing in Canada but have a PR, do I have to file income tax returns? If yes, whats the easiest way to do it.?

Thanks in anticipation

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
01-12-2010 (Damascus, Syria)
Passport Req..
21-02-2012 (PPR1) / 15-10-2014 (PPR1 with chart) / 17-11-2014 (PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2014 (Received on 01-01-2015)
LANDED..........
12-04-2015 (PR Card : 09-07-2015)
Red_DevilBah said:
Hi All,

I am landing on 24th June 2016, at Toronto.

This will be a short landing, due to my professional obligations I cant leave my job now. Will go to canada by Jan-feb'17 permanently.

I have few queries, would be glad if anyone could guide me on these:

1. Proof of Funds -
I will be carrying approx 1000 CAD (which should be sufficient for 14 day short landing) in cash and rest as a document i.e cheque, Banker's draft etc. I will not be en-cashing the money in cheque or the draft. Would like to know in which form/document should I carry the money so that I don't lose the money upon expiry of that document.

2. Mobile Number -
Can i buy a Canadian SIM card and carry it with me outside Canada for a period of 6-7 months? I want to keep the number active, which plan should I go for? and what is the cost associated with it?

3. Goods to Follow List -
Currently, I don't have any jewelry on/with me. So I will not be able to declare the photographs of the articles that I might have when I come back again in Jan'17. So will I have to pay duty for those articles then?

4. SIN
Even if I am not residing in Canada but have a PR, do I have to file income tax returns? If yes, whats the easiest way to do it.?

Thanks in anticipation
Officially, there is no term as 'short landing'. Therefore, landing is landing.

1) You need to show minimum CA$ 12,124 in order to fulfill funds requirement at landing
(Source)

2) Whatever the cost is, it would be very high due to roaming charges. It's better to get virtual canadian number (Virtual Direct Inward Dialing Number) where you get a landline number and your cost would be around US$ 2 to US$5 per month

3) Goods to Follow list must be provided upon landing. There is no restriction on when to bring those goods.

4) All your answers regarding tax as non resident can be found here : http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nnrs-eng.html

Hal2014

Dec 17, 2014
Hello guys,

I am based in Saudi Arabia and travelling to Pakistan for the summer. I have to apply for a PRTD(Permanent Resident Travel Document) to enter Canada. Can I apply for PRTD from Pakistan instead? Or would that be a problem. Please guide.

Thanks.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
XpressEnterprise said:
Officially, there is no term as 'short landing'. Therefore, landing is landing.

1) You need to show minimum CA$ 12,124 in order to fulfill funds requirement at landing
(Source)

2) Whatever the cost is, it would be very high due to roaming charges. It's better to get virtual canadian number (Virtual Direct Inward Dialing Number) where you get a landline number and your cost would be around US$ 2 to US$5 per month

3) Goods to Follow list must be provided upon landing. There is no restriction on when to bring those goods.

4) All your answers regarding tax as non resident can be found here : http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nnrs-eng.html
I think all items on the goods-to-follow list must be brought in within one year of the first landing. Any later than that and you will have to pay duty.

Red_DevilBah

Jun 1, 2015
Thanks rahul20978 & xpressenterprise

Could you suggest which instrument (travellers cheque, Bankers draft etc.) would be the best (apart from cash) which I can cancel later without actually withdrawing money?

Indocan56

Apr 30, 2015
New Delhi
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/12/2014
Nomination.....
PER - 04/03/2015
AOR Received.
28/04/2015
IELTS Request
Sent with file
File Transfer...
SLU 23/03/2015
Med's Request
24/09/2015
Med's Done....
05/10/2015/. 7th Line Medical Received update 14.10.15
Interview........
Waived- Status changes to 'Decision Made' on 5th Feb'16
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 2016
Hi Friends !

I'm landing in Toronto in first week of July. Need help for short term accommodation for family of 2 + 2 kids.

anshpatel84

Star Member
Oct 5, 2014
XpressEnterprise said:
1) You are required to provide Goods to Follow list upon landing. It doesn't matter when you are planning to settle.

2) Once your COPR is stamped and signed by CBSA officer, they will ask you for a Canadian Address. Once you provide them with the address, your first PR card will arrive accordingly. There's no fees and forms for 1st PR card. However, you need to go to Service Canada office in order to register SIN. If they have Service Canada office at Vancouver Airport, then it would be easy. Otherwise, you will have to find the nearest one and visit during opening hours.
Thanks lot for your response, Sir!!! Just 3 quick questions here:

(1) What if I decide to bring only few goods as part of my permanent settlement in Canada later that I have declared in my "Goods to Follow" list in landing? For example, lets say I declare 2 couches,2 beds, car and Samsung TV in my "Goods to Follow" list during landing but in case I don't bring any of these goods when I permanently move to Canada after 6 months,will CBSA raise any issues for it like why did I declare these goods earlier in "Goods to Follow" list when I didn't intend to bring in during my permanent move to Canada?

(2) I don't have any friend and relative in Vancouver so I will be providing the address of my uncle in Toronto,Ontario on my PR card application. Is it ok? Will CBSA raise any issues as to how come I am not providing any local address in Vancouver? I hope they understand the fact that not all landed immigrants permanently settle in Canada the day they land. :'(

(3) Do I have to create 2 separate list each for myself and my wife? Is it ok if I combine the "Goods to accompany" and "Goods to Follow" list for BOTH me and my wife in JUST one B4 and B4A form respectively?

Thanks in advance for your responses and guidance!!!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
anshpatel84 said:
Thanks lot for your response, Sir!!! Just 3 quick questions here:

(1) What if I decide to bring only few goods as part of my permanent settlement in Canada later that I have declared in my "Goods to Follow" list in landing? For example, lets say I declare 2 couches,2 beds, car and Samsung TV in my "Goods to Follow" list during landing but in case I don't bring any of these goods when I permanently move to Canada after 6 months,will CBSA raise any issues for it like why did I declare these goods earlier in "Goods to Follow" list when I didn't intend to bring in during my permanent move to Canada?

(2) I don't have any friend and relative in Vancouver so I will be providing the address of my uncle in Toronto,Ontario on my PR card application. Is it ok? Will CBSA raise any issues as to how come I am not providing any local address in Vancouver? I hope they understand the fact that not all landed immigrants permanently settle in Canada the day they land. :'(

(3) Do I have to create 2 separate list each for myself and my wife? Is it ok if I combine the "Goods to accompany" and "Goods to Follow" list for BOTH me and my wife in JUST one B4 and B4A form respectively?

Thanks in advance for your responses and guidance!!!
1.) Not a problem.
2.) Yes its ok, not a problem
3.) Combine the list for you and your wife.

chiyakam

Aug 23, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2015
Doc's Request.
11-03-2016 (Sub: 29-03-2016)
AOR Received.
18-10-2015
Passport Req..
31-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
02-06-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2016
Red_DevilBah said:
2. Mobile Number -
Better and cheaper option to go for would be Fongo (VOIP) - approx 5$ and you have a Canadian number that allows you to receive calls and make calls (Free within Canada for most of the numbers).

Red_DevilBah

Jun 1, 2015
chiyakam said:
Better and cheaper option to go for would be Fongo (VOIP) - approx 5$ and you have a Canadian number that allows you to receive calls and make calls (Free within Canada for most of the numbers).
Thanks...

will it also work when I am outside canada?

anshpatel84

Star Member
Oct 5, 2014
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your responses so far! Since I am landing in Canada for only few days to complete my landing procedure, what should I put in "Importer's address" in Form B4?

One of my friends who immigrated to Canada 6 months ago is still waiting for his PR card. It's been 4 months but he has still not received the PR card. My COPR is valid till July 5,2016. Lets say if I lose my job here in U.S.A on July 15,2016 and want to come to Canada permanently by July 20,2016. In this case, how can I legally come to Canada if I have not received PR card AND my COPR expires on July 5,2015? What are my options since my one-time Canadian visa will expire after my 1st entry into Canada tomorrow. I am currently living and working in U.S.A on H-1B work visa and once I lose my job on H-1B visa status, I have to immediately move back to my home country[INDIA] if I am unable to find job within 10 days of layoff. Instead of moving back to India, I want to move to Canada . Any advise will be highly appreciated!

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
anshpatel84 said:
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your responses so far! Since I am landing in Canada for only few days to complete my landing procedure, what should I put in "Importer's address" in Form B4?

One of my friends who immigrated to Canada 6 months ago is still waiting for his PR card. It's been 4 months but he has still not received the PR card. My COPR is valid till July 5,2016. Lets say if I lose my job here in U.S.A on July 15,2016 and want to come to Canada permanently by July 20,2016. In this case, how can I legally come to Canada if I have not received PR card AND my COPR expires on July 5,2015? What are my options since my one-time Canadian visa will expire after my 1st entry into Canada tomorrow. I am currently living and working in U.S.A on H-1B work visa and once I lose my job on H-1B visa status, I have to immediately move back to my home country[INDIA] if I am unable to find job within 10 days of layoff. Instead of moving back to India, I want to move to Canada . Any advise will be highly appreciated!
COPR never expires. One time entry visa expires. If you leave Canada before you get your PR card, then you can apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to enter Canada. Alternatively, you could also walk across US Canada border carrying COPR and Indian passport.
All things said, you must do your first landing before your entry visa expires, or else you will lose PR

anshpatel84

Star Member
Oct 5, 2014
Thansk a lot for your response, Alok and other members of this forum! I have few more queries as below:

(1) If I am going to return to U.S.A within 4 days of my landing at Vancouver, can I 'tick' the settler box on Form B4 and B4A? I am having this confusion because the details under settler clearly asks me to verify that "I am entering Canada eith the intention of establishing,for the first time,a permanent resident for a period in excess of 12 months and I arrived in Canada on May 18,2016" But in reality, I am not going to stay for 12 months,I am going to RETURN within 4 days hence I have this confusion.

(2) The expiry date on my COPR is clearly menioned as July 15,2016 but you said that COPR never expires so I am bit confused, please advise. Probably there is something I am unaware of so would appreciate if you can provide me more info.

(3) How much time will it normally takes from the moment my PRTD application is submitted,approved and returned back to my address in U.S.A?