+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

HappyLucky

May 28, 2015
Lammawitch said:
No. Just no.

TO be eligible for Ontario student loans, you need to be resident in Ontario.
Thank you Lammawitch
could you please take a look over this
since I am newbe Cant post links so i use --- instead of dot :(
www----ontario---ca/faq/whos-considered-ontario-resident-osap-purposes

Who’s considered an Ontario resident for OSAP purposes?

To get OSAP for full-time students:

you need to have always lived in Ontario [size=10pt]or[/size]
Ontario is the last province you lived in for 12 months in a row without being a full-time postsecondary student
you live in Ontario now AND have lived in Canada for less than 12 months in a row

so I was thinking that landing in Ontario then go to Vancouver and live for 3 months, then comming back to Toronto will put me under this :

You may think that as long as you live in Ontario, you will meet the requirement of Item 3 in the eligibility list above. But it may not be the case. If you moved from another Canadian province to Ontario, in order to be eligible for OSAP application you must have lived in Ontario for 12 months or longer. Otherwise you are not eligible for application for OSAP funding and you will be required to apply student financial assistance in the province where you were from. But if you are a new immigrant and landed directly on Ontario, you will meet the resident requirement in the eligibility list above.

does not First landing in Ontario a point to make me eligible for OSAP??

vin948

Jan 27, 2015
Hi guys,

Our city of destination is listed as Calgary in our COPR, but we want to go to Toronto. We have been recommended heading to the city of destination mentioned in COPR in order to avoid hassles however, flight options seem to be much lesser & way more expensive than Toronto.

I would like to check if there has been any change in the landing procedures. Has anybody faced trouble on this account? please tell us your story.

We (my wife & I) have 3 options;

1. Write a case specific enquiry and get the COPR revised which would take time & a small fee. Not to mention our passport (with visa) & COPR's will be called back.

2. Take the risk and land in Toronto directly.

3. Pick an flight route which takes us to Calgary first where we can do our immigration & then onwards to Toronto. The least preferred & expensive affair.

While the information in forums seem to suggest that we can land anywhere, there is no such official information available on CIC website or any other channel. I would like to hear about other people's landing experience in recent times (where city of destination was different from what's mentioned in COPR).

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vin948 said:
Hi guys,

Our city of destination is listed as Calgary in our COPR, but we want to go to Toronto. We have been recommended heading to the city of destination mentioned in COPR in order to avoid hassles however, flight options seem to be much lesser & way more expensive than Toronto.

I would like to check if there has been any change in the landing procedures. Has anybody faced trouble on this account? please tell us your story.

We (my wife & I) have 3 options;

1. Write a case specific enquiry and get the COPR revised which would take time & a small fee. Not to mention our passport (with visa) & COPR's will be called back.

2. Take the risk and land in Toronto directly.

3. Pick an flight route which takes us to Calgary first where we can do our immigration & then onwards to Toronto. The least preferred & expensive affair.

While the information in forums seem to suggest that we can land anywhere, there is no such official information available on CIC website or any other channel. I would like to hear about other people's landing experience in recent times (where city of destination was different from what's mentioned in COPR).
Unless you got PR via Alberta PNP, landing & staying in Toronto is not a problem.

Book that cheaper flight :)

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HappyLucky said:
Thank you Lammawitch

Who's considered an Ontario resident for OSAP purposes?

Ontario is the last province you lived in for 12 months in a row without being a full-time postsecondary student
you live in Ontario now AND have lived in Canada for less than 12 months in a row

so I was thinking that landing in Ontario then go to Vancouver and live for 3 months, then comming back to Toronto will put me under this :

You may think that as long as you live in Ontario, you will meet the requirement of Item 3 in the eligibility list above. But it may not be the case. If you moved from another Canadian province to Ontario, in order to be eligible for OSAP application you must have lived in Ontario for 12 months or longer. Otherwise you are not eligible for application for OSAP funding and you will be required to apply student financial assistance in the province where you were from. But if you are a new immigrant and landed directly on Ontario, you will meet the resident requirement in the eligibility list above.

I'm not sure why you are trying to look for "loopholes".

The last sentence applies if you land in Ontario and then reside there, but don't yet meet the 12 month requirement as a new immigrant.

I would think that if you land in Ontario, go to live in BC, then return to Ontario, you would be considered as having moved from another province, even if it's in your first year in Canada.

However, your best option is to contact OSAP directly and ask.

HappyLucky

May 28, 2015
Lammawitch said:
I'm not sure why you are trying to look for "loopholes".

The last sentence applies if you land in Ontario and then reside there, but don't yet meet the 12 month requirement as a new immigrant.

I would think that if you land in Ontario, go to live in BC, then return to Ontario, you would be considered as having moved from another province, even if it's in your first year in Canada.

However, your best option is to contact OSAP directly and ask.

you are right :) thx for your time and your advice :)

GariKam

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 2014
Hi guys

I immigrated to BC last year and with no friends or family here settlement has been a success story in building. :) I love the place and at each step as we are growing I look back and see how we had to sometimes struggle for small things... There are so many things here that even the settlement agencies won't tell you.. Like the rental assistance program, Canada benefit finder and so much more.. so as a class project (I am studying to be a corporate trainer/instructor here), I created an interactive infographic where I have put most of the programs that the government has to offer and a lot of other information. it is: dr garima kamboj dot wix dot com slash immigrant

(No space anywhere)

When my immigration application was in-process, this forum was a lot of help to me and I want to give it back t the people here. Hence, I want to share it with you guys... I hope some of you find it beneficial, Thank you and all the best.

mr.gk

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
HappyLucky said:
Thank you Lammawitch

Who's considered an Ontario resident for OSAP purposes?

Hi,

I am IT professional also, as per the advice in below video, BC is a good destination for Technology job market.

http://www.prepareforcanada.com/category/know-before-you-go/know-before-you-go-videos/

But I think Vancouver is one of the most expensive cities in Canada. So, make sure to have enough budget before leaving.

Good luck

nithin

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
FSW_NOC_0112 said:
Hi Friends,

I am getting ready for my short landing. I have following documents ready:
a. Passport with Visa
b. COPR
c. B4 & B4a
d. POF
e. Photos (Extra if required)

Is there anything that I am missing?
Dear friends,
Minimum how many photos required after landing? Where it required?

Regards

vin948

Jan 27, 2015
jdn said:
Dear All ,

Pls find below My Landing experience .

We landed in Toronto on Canada Day - 1st July 2015 from Dubai
There was a delay of 2 hours from emirates airlines . we were scheduled to arrive in Toronto at 3pm but arrived at 5pm .
Below is the list of activities we have done for completing our landing formalities .

1 - Passport control - they asked purpose of visit - informed that we are from FSW category and planning for permanent landing.

2- Immigration control - Asked address, Passport and COPR documents - They checked our landing documents and asked why we landed in Ontario instead of Halifax , My officer was tough and he told i have to exit province within 2 weeks . As per my application I have specified Halifax as my destination . We replied that we checked with many reliable agencys like CIIP and they advised us that FSW applicants can land any where , then he did not accept that fact but still gone through our documents and asked as how much fund we have in cash . we informed that 12,000 CAD and balance in Documents like attested Land valuation and Bond certificates . Officer informed that all these documents can be forged and not valid . He did not even care for looking into the documents which show more than 60000 cad. In the end he gave us a document called Address Notification and asked us to fill all details and apply online or fax document to number specified . We tried to find online link as specified in the document but we could not hence we filled up the document and send by fax to number specified next day of our arrival .

3- SIN card Counter - All documents were submitted again and rcvd SIN number document . SIN counter is open until 9pm on all 7 days of week including holidays.

4 - Baggage from Baggage counter .

5 - Went to Customs Counter - They asked only for Goods to follow document - They asked submit the list of all goods and Gold Photos which we submitted . We gave them two copies of each and 1 set we got it stamped along with customs document showing no tax . I tried to inform them that I am having Draft and money but they asked how much money exactly in hand for which we declared only 10,000 cad and they mention only that amount in the customs documentation form .

Total time taken for completing all documentation in Airport – 3 hours since we are a family of 5 .

Suggestions from my experience – 1, For those who are arriving with family be prepared with food and stuffs for a long time to spend in airport for completing documentations. –2, Prepare all documents in proper file to present it to the officer without panic and confusion –3, Once they ask for the amount of cash in hand inform them the complete amount you are planning to take to Canada ie if you have 10,000 cad in cash and 50000 cad in Draft or Bank statement which you can transfer to Canada you inform the officer that you have total 60,000 in Cash for immediate requirements. If he specifically asks for exact cash then only you need to specify breakup.

Advice needed – As specified earlier we were given an Address notification form ( IMM5456 ) from the Emigration counter for giving the details of our local address either by online or by fax since the officer told his system is slow and he can't enter all the details at that point of time . We were not able to open to online link specified in the form so we have to send the details by fax next day. Please let me know if anybody faced similar situation and if there is any implications due to this in future .

My Online status Changed on 7th July to Completed . Can anybody please suggest will there be any issues with the Address notification and PR card processing due to the problem highlighted earlier . We have given permanent address of one of my relations in Canada . Is it possible to recheck with CIC if all the documents are ok for proceeding with PR card ? or should we do any further steps for completing PR card procedure .

Rgds

Jdn
This was really helpful, Thanks.

I might be in a similar situation. Our Copr mentions city of destination as Calgary but we now want to go to Toronto. All the forums says it is ok to do so, but will it be a problem during our landing procedure?
Thanks

Kafil

Jan 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vin948 said:
This was really helpful, Thanks.

I might be in a similar situation. Our Copr mentions city of destination as Calgary but we now want to go to Toronto. All the forums says it is ok to do so, but will it be a problem during our landing procedure?
Thanks
Not at all. In my COPR, stated destination was "Saskatoon", i was planning to stay in Mississauga so upon my arrival at Pearson International Airport, when going through my COPR, the CBSA asked if i am heading for Saskatoon and i replied "No, i am staying here in Mississauga", and that was it. So don't worry about it.

vin948

Jan 27, 2015
Kafil said:
Not at all. In my COPR, stated destination was "Saskatoon", i was planning to stay in Mississauga so upon my arrival at Pearson International Airport, when going through my COPR, the CBSA asked if i am heading for Saskatoon and i replied "No, i am staying here in Mississauga", and that was it. So don't worry about it.
Great! How long ago was this?

nithin

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
nithin said:
Dear friends,
Minimum how many photos required after landing? Where it required?

Regards
Dear friends,
Can we carry currencies other than Canadian dollars.
If so the amount carrying is more than 10000 CAD, Is it inclusive of the other currencies

Thanks and regards

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nithin said:
Dear friends,
Can we carry currencies other than Canadian dollars.
If so the amount carrying is more than 10000 CAD, Is it inclusive of the other currencies

Thanks and regards
Yes

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nithin said:
Thanks dear friend.
Is there any limitations on the value of goods importing to Canada by immigrants
Regards
Not that I am aware of. However, you might want to check with CBSA on the safe side:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html