+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
at9459 said:
if the principal applicant is able to meet the requirement of minimum 730 days but the dependent kids and wife are not able to meet the requirement of minimum 730 days ,does this affect the future of dependents in term of PR status?
After landing as a PR, there is no principal applicant any more. Each person is responsible for their PR and each person has to meet the requirements in order to be able to renew their card.

at9459

May 30, 2009
Thanks Leon,
If my kids are in school and they are not able to complete the required days in Canada ,does it adversely affect their future and will they be sent back to their country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
at9459 said:
Thanks Leon,
If my kids are in school and they are not able to complete the required days in Canada ,does it adversely affect their future and will they be sent back to their country.
They can hardly be sent back to their country if they are already there. In any case, if they lose their PR's at some point for not meeting the RO but your PR is in good standing, you can always sponsor them back.

However, keep in mind that if you want to settle in Canada and you want your children to successfully settle in Canada, you would be doing them a favour by enrolling them in Canadian schools.

at9459

May 30, 2009
at9459 said:
Thanks Leon,
"my kids are in school"
I meant Canadian School

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
at9459 said:
"my kids are in school"
I meant Canadian School
If they attend school in Canada 9 months a year, it would be hard for them not to end up meeting the residency requirements.

If you mean to say that they had spent more than 3 years outside Canada but had managed to enter Canada and are now in school with still valid PR cards but do not actually meet the RO, the answer to that is that you simply keep them in Canada and do not attempt to renew their PR cards until they meet the RO again.

There is no obligation to renew your PR card right away when it expires.

When you apply for a PR card with at least 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years, immigration can only look at that past 5 year period.

sumitbajaj07

Nov 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I want to take your advise please.

Currently I am in USA on H1 visa and thinking to complete my Canada landing sometime in April or May 2014.

I am planning to enter canada by road via niagara falls border (may be via rainbow bridge or peace bridge).

If you please give me suggestions/help on answering the below questions :--

1) Can I take USA rental car to enter from USA to canada ? Someone told me it is not allowed.
2) While leaving USA do we need to handover our current I-94's ?
3) Is it matter to live for minimum number of days in canada ? I am planning to live only for 4-5 days in canada.
4) While entering canada do the canada officers ask why u want to stay only for small number of days ?And also will they raise any questions for PR cards filing at that time.if stay is short like this ?
5) Any other questions I need to prepare for USA officers or Canada officers which they may ask?
6) While coming back to USA, do they ask the reason of coming back ? I mean something like that ?
7) Which bridge is better to land rainbow or peace ?

Anything else apart from these if you can let me know will be great.

at9459

May 30, 2009
Leon said:
If they attend school in Canada 9 months a year, it would be hard for them not to end up meeting the residency requirements.

If you mean to say that they had spent more than 3 years outside Canada but had managed to enter Canada and are now in school with still valid PR cards but do not actually meet the RO, the answer to that is that you simply keep them in Canada and do not attempt to renew their PR cards until they meet the RO again.

There is no obligation to renew your PR card right away when it expires.

When you apply for a PR card with at least 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years, immigration can only look at that past 5 year period.
Thanks again, you are really helpful.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sumitbajaj07 said:
1) Can I take USA rental car to enter from USA to canada ? Someone told me it is not allowed.

You can but there may be an issue with PR driving a car on US plates in Canada. It shouldn't however be a problem with a rental. If you want to avoid any possible problem with that, you can rent a car close to the border that is on Canadian plates.

2) While leaving USA do we need to handover our current I-94's ?

I don't know

3) Is it matter to live for minimum number of days in canada ? I am planning to live only for 4-5 days in canada.

730 days minimum in 5 years.

4) While entering canada do the canada officers ask why u want to stay only for small number of days ?And also will they raise any questions for PR cards filing at that time.if stay is short like this ?

If they ask, you say you want to land but you are not ready to move yet. If you give an address for a PR card to be mailed to (must be a Canadian address), they may ask if you will be at this address when the PR card arrives. If you say no, they may decide to hold your card until after your move.

5) Any other questions I need to prepare for USA officers or Canada officers which they may ask?

I can't think of any.

6) While coming back to USA, do they ask the reason of coming back ? I mean something like that ?

You have a visa in the US, I suppose you are working there. Reason enough.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
at9459 said:
can they stop one from entering Canada at the airport?
Didn't you just say that your family is now in Canada although they don't meet the RO? So which is it, inside or outside?

If they are outside and don't meet the RO, they will not be stopped from entering but they could be reported for not meeting the RO if the immigration officer suspects that. If that happens, they would have to appeal for their PR. Processing the appeal would take 12-18 months. If they lose, they lose their PR but if your PR is in good standing, you can sponsor them again.

If somebody doesn't meet the RO and they make it to Canada without getting reported, it would be smart of them to stay in Canada until they meet the RO again. Each time they travel, they take a risk to get reported as they return. So ok, there is no real risk to their PR in your case because you can sponsor them again but it is a hassle, if they lose their PR, they would have to leave and it may take months for you to sponsor them back. This would disrupt your children's education as well as your family life.

at9459

May 30, 2009
Leon said:
Didn't you just say that your family is now in Canada although they don't meet the RO? So which is it, inside or outside?

If they are outside and don't meet the RO, they will not be stopped from entering but they could be reported for not meeting the RO if the immigration officer suspects that. If that happens, they would have to appeal for their PR. Processing the appeal would take 12-18 months. If they lose, they lose their PR but if your PR is in good standing, you can sponsor them again.

If somebody doesn't meet the RO and they make it to Canada without getting reported, it would be smart of them to stay in Canada until they meet the RO again. Each time they travel, they take a risk to get reported as they return. So ok, there is no real risk to their PR in your case because you can sponsor them again but it is a hassle, if they lose their PR, they would have to leave and it may take months for you to sponsor them back. This would disrupt your children's education as well as your family life.
Right now they are in a school outside Canada and will come to Canada in April 2014 and they may be short by 90 days approx. by the time they apply for renewal but they will be in school in Canada because the session in Canada starts/finishes in Sept.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
at9459 said:
Right now they are in a school outside Canada and will come to Canada in April 2014 and they may be short by 90 days approx. by the time they apply for renewal but they will be in school in Canada because the session in Canada starts/finishes in Sept.
Since they will be short of 90 days - if they arrive in April 2014, why don't you bring them this January (90 days earlier) to avoid taking the risk of getting reported which could lead to loosing their PR status? Why take the risk - if you can avoid this situation?

sumitbajaj07

Nov 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon,

As you said If I say I am going for less day..They can hold my cards..WHat does that means ?

Shouldn't I say them I am coming only for less number of days ?

at9459

May 30, 2009
emamabd said:
Since they will be short of 90 days - if they arrive in April 2014, why don't you bring them this January (90 days earlier) to avoid taking the risk of getting reported which could lead to loosing their PR status? Why take the risk - if you can avoid this situation?
Because they are still in school class VII & Xth respectively.session will end in april 14.