+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

CAPR

Sep 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I am from IT background and waiting for my PR.

In the meanwhile, I would like to know the best place to get in canada where I should get in. Two or three choices would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sujamana said:
I have got the links for applying Travel document from India (through VFS - agency for Canada embassy). The timeframe to process the travel document is 5 Business days plus shipping and a fee of $50. Any inputs to share? Thanks!

Qorax

Please share your inputs, Should I use the "safehomestay" address though my stay there is few days?

thanks / sujamana

Also, if this is not possible, then I have no choice to apply for Travel document when I come back (India), Could you please provide the links to it. (I am still working on getting the fwding address here)
U can use the safehomestay address. Most residents of that g/house do so. They'd receive your PRCs & forward it to your local address, or u can collect it from them. This is, of course, for residents who have moved to their own accom, but r in Canada.

For your case, once u land & reside with them, u can discuss the forwarding issue with Thomas.

Qorax

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dubai321 said:
I left Canada after one week. I left on the 9 September 2010.

Please consult me when should I have to come back and what should I do to come back because I have not received PR card.

Thank all,
Did you entrusted a friend to forward the PR card to you before you left Canada? You can check this webpage for details about maintaining your PR status while outside Canada. I think if any of the 3 conditions applies to you, you can still come back to Canada before 30 August 2015.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445EA.asp

newceo

Star Member
Aug 7, 2008
FINALLY MOST AWAITING THING HAPPENED. COMPLETED MY LANDING SUCCESSFULLY..

First let me thank Qorax, PMM, Leaon and other senior members for their guidance and helpful advice. Will salute to Qorax for his quick responses and clarification for silly queries as well.

Here is my story from applying PR to completing landing process.

Sometime in Mar - April time frame in 2008, thinking of applying for PR as my company was not agreed to process my GC in US (was working in US). After little research found that AINP has an option for people working in USA to immigrate to Canada pretty quickly. But it was only for H1B workers and Not for L1B visa holders. So I have to apply for under FSW category
Started collecting all the documents like Birth Certificate from Indian Consulate, getting the FBI finger print certificate etc... Finally sent full application to Buffalo office in first week of Oct 2008. After verifying so many times, still forgot to send the FBI finger print certificate along with the application. Now waiting period started, checking time frame of others in the net.
Meanwhile need to come back to India for good in Feb 2009. Gave my friend's US address as forwarding address for all my mails fearing CIC may not communicate outside US since I have applied in US. Sometime in April 2009 my friend received AOR letter from CIC. Sent an e-mail to Buffalo office to change my communication address to Indian address after receiving the AOR (now I know my file number). Sent FBI finger prints in June 2009 after receiving letter from CIC Buffalo. Completed medicals end of Sep 2009. End of Oct 2009 received an e-mail to submit passport for stamping to Buffalo office with time frame of 3 months. Here the fun starts. Staying in India and sending passport for stamping to Buffalo was not an option I have ever thought of. Was thinking of sending an e-mail to Buffalo office to move the file to New Delhi office. But many people suggested me not to transfer the file as it might delay the PR process. Did lot of research, found that sending PP outside India by post or courier was not possible. Travelling to US to submit PPR was ruled out option. Somewhere read that we can send PP thru somebody. Luckily that time my frien'd friend(he was unknown to me) was coming to India on vacation and he was agreed to take my passport (4 passports for the whole family) to US. So travelled to his place (Chennai) from Bangalore when he was in India to hand over the PPs. Once he reached US, my friend sent the passports to CIC Buffalo giving his address as return address. Was totally in tension as I am staying in India and passport was in US and was not sure what is going to happen to visa stamping.
Another twist to this was my friend wasn't there at home when PP arrived (Friday) (Jan 2010) thru the post. Next day was Saturday and he has to pick up that PP from post office. After two days it might be sent back to CIC. Wasn't sure whether the post office will give the passport to my friend as the cover was in my name. Again jitters in the belly as whether my friend would be able to pick up the PP from post office. Prepared a letter addressing post master to hand over the cover to my friend since I am in India. Scanned and sent the letter to my friend thru e-mail. Next day my friend was able to pick up PP without any problem without letter, but he called me and said post master was not ready to handover the cover. Got shocked and wasn't sure what to do. But it was just a joke and got relieved.
Now the next part is how do I get the PP back to India. Couple of colleagues initially agreed to bring the PP but later said no bcos it was not just one PP but 4 PPs. Again butterflies in the belly. One relief was that my friend was coming back to India on vacation and was ready to bring those back if nothing works out. But it was after 2-3 months in June. My plan was to land sometime in April itself. Fortunately my wife's cousins wife's (never met her before) friend (again unknown to me) was travelling to India from US for vacation and was ready to get my PP back to India. Again took a risk thinking at the most I might lose my PP and asked him to bring PP back. Losing my passport was Ok with me but losing my kid's passport who are citizens of USA was a big risk. Finally he came to India with my passports and was so happy to see PP with stamped visa.
While all these things were happening, at work my superior informed me that my performance got screwed up and has to go thru personal improvement plan which has put my current job at risk. At the same time company gave salary hike for everybody except me. This has put lot of pressure on me from all fronts doubting my own capabilities and undermined my confidence. Was thinking of quitting job and joining other company. But it will not bring back my confidence. Decided to set things right first and find another job. Successfully completed the new assignment which brought back my confidence. Now my superiors were not ready to leave me to go to different assignment.
Ok let's get back to my PR process. Now I have to decide when to travel to Canada to complete the landing process before expiry of the Visa.
Without any problem finally travelled to Vancouver on 2nd Oct 2010 to complete landing process. Flew from Bangalore to Hong Kong in Dragon air. Then Hong Cong to Vancouver in Cathay Pacific which reached 20 minutes early. Had to go thru hardship to control my son in the flight for 12 hrs. Walked around 1 km to reach immigration counter where a gentleman showed us where to go for new immigrants. First directly went to a desk where they gave me all the information about Richmond area where I am going to stay and other information about applying for SIN job hunting etc.. Then went into a line where many people were standing to complete the landing. Waited there for almost 45 minutes to get my turn. There were many counters but only 5 were open. Lady officer called me and asked below questions:

IO: What is the purpose of coming over here?
Myself: To complete landing process.
Then she said she wants to ask few questions and I said Ok.
IO: You guys are married ?
Myself: Yes.
IO: Is this your first marriage ?
Myself: Yes
IO: How many children do you have ?
Myself: two
IO: Both are here today ?
Myself: Yes.
IO: How much funds carrying today ?
Myself: CAD 18000 DD and $3100 currency
She wrote down the details and asked us to wait till she finished her paper work.
Sitting on the chairs for almost 20 to 25 minutes. She called us and asked me to sign on the papers for myself and for my kids. My wife also signed on the papers. She stapled the copy of COPR to each PP and asked us to keep it safe. Asked us whether my daughter is going to join 1st grade and I said she will be joining second grade. Mentioned that I can show these papers at school for admission. She wished good luck to us and that's it. We took our luggage in the cart that was available for free and went to customs.
Officer just took the declaration form and told me I can go. But I asked him need to submit B4 form. The other officer came there and said don't need to submit it now. I told him I have list of goods that will be following. He asked me whether those items have been already shipped. I said will be going back to get those items later. He said I will have one year time and can show that list later at point of that time. Since he didn't agree to take that list, I didn't had any other option just to walk out from there. Came to the Information center in the airport asked one of the lady for a courtesy call to hotel. She herself called the hotel and asked us to wait outside where the shuttle comes and picks up to the hotel.
After 15 minutes of wait at the bus stop, hotel shuttle picked us to the hotel. Checked in at the hotel paid for two days and had nice shower. My wife made light snacks for kids and for me. Went out walked for 15 – 20 minutes to a shopping area. Got milk, bread, biscuits and walked back to hotel. Had hot dinner prepared by wife. Called up home and informed them that we have reached safely.
Since today was Sunday couldn't able to complete the rest of the process. Tomorrow planning to complete applying for SIN, driving license and opening bank account.
Right now not planning to stay back and search for the job. Will just go back and will ask our company to send me on an onsite assignment to Canada.(Read Josh's story couple of times & decided not to take any chance by quitting the job and permanently coming over here without any job. Thanks to Josh for his wonderful write up on how he succeeded.)

So it was an adventurous journey of two years from thinking of applying for PR to getting PR.

Once again thanks to all the forum members who helped me to reach this stage.

Sorry for the long story. Just wanted to share what I went thru to get this PR. Because I know many people have been facing one or the other situation which I mentioned here. Patience and perseverance needed when you are going thru this PR process.

Good luck to you guys.

Thanks.

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Hi,

Why the Customs Officer didn't signed "Goods to follow list"??

Its danger no.. later when we bring other goods, they will levy duty?

Any recent changes in Canadian Customs Rules?

Seniors please advise...

Satish

swapnochary

Jul 27, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
L - 7.5, R - 6.5, W - 6.5, S - 8.0, Ov. All. - 7
Med's Request
12-07-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
31-08-2010 PP submitted: 14-09-2010 Decision made: 05-10-10
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2010 VISA RCVD...: 24-10-2010
LANDED..........
GOD KNOWS
from the statement of custom officer it is clear that he can bring other goods without tax within 1 year but if he wish to take goods after 2 year then ???? he needs to pay tax..... isnt it ???

swapnochary

newceo said:
FINALLY MOST AWAITING THING HAPPENED. COMPLETED MY LANDING SUCCESSFULLY..
But I asked him need to submit B4 form. The other officer came there and said don't need to submit it now. I told him I have list of goods that will be following. He asked me whether those items have been already shipped. I said will be going back to get those items later. He said I will have one year time and can show that list later at point of that time. Since he didn't agree to take that list, I didn't had any other option just to walk out from there.
Thanks.

karl

Star Member
Oct 6, 2009
Hey Qorax,
I along with my family (wife) am planning to land this weekend to complete the landing formalities. However, we will have to return back to my home country after completing the landing formalities, SIN, Drivers, Bank etc in about a week or so. My questions to you are:

1. Is it advisable for me and my wife to stick around in Canada until we get our PR? (we don't have friends or family and do not really know where do we go after the initial 1 week - money is also a factor here)

2. If my wife comes back to the US and I stay until we receive our PRs, will that help any bit? .... given that sometimes they call for applicants to submit their photos in person under the pretext that photos do not meet their specifications.

3. Do you know if it is illegal for our friends or family to mail / courier PR cards out of Canada?

4. Is it too much trouble or is it frowned upon if you apply for a "Travel Document" to travel back to Canada if you receive a request to submit new photos in person? I am worried about the Travel Document getting rejected (just playing conservative).... have you heard of any "new/fresh immigrant" getting rejected for Travel document?

Your inputs will help me a lot in making a sound decision.

I will appreciate your help!

Karl

qorax said:
1. Funds statement is perfectly alright. I wouldn't know which banks deal with the CADs in AP-India though.

2. Travel Insurance is a must. Plz read my thread exclusively on the subject.

3. As u r staying back there's no problem to your plan.

4. Except for the Airport Hotels & www.safehomestay.com, no one else provide that a/port pick-up/drop facility. For the hotels, Best Western-Mississauga, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn etc r few who do that. Other hotels & short stay accom maynprovide the same with extra charges.

5. Yes, u can land anywhere, if u r an FSW case.

6. Very unlikely that u'd get a job in your original field of skills in the beginning. But not impossible. Generally u'd work in the starter jobs for at least 8-12 months, which might include something in your field of work, but not to your current post.

7. No comments.

8. DANGER: If u don't file-in the B4 forms (GTF & GAL) u cannot bring anything inside Canada w/out paying duty, whenever - however later.

9. It's Ok if u do not have a Canadian address upon landing. Just that u'd have delay & extra processes performing that later. And your PR card apps is not processed "automatically" imdt on landing. But u can off course do it later by filling the PRC form & submitting it thru post/fax/courier to The CIC.

10. Yes, probably u r with WWICS, as I guess, & they have that facility. Mr. Manpreet holds the key. They wouldn't do wonders but at least your a/port pick-up, temp. Accom, the address & the PR cards issues gets solved. Besides their charges is the same as u'd pay to a Motel/Short-Stay accom.

Qorax

rinks25us

Star Member
Nov 3, 2009
karl said:
Hey Qorax,
I along with my family (wife) am planning to land this weekend to complete the landing formalities. However, we will have to return back to my home country after completing the landing formalities, SIN, Drivers, Bank etc in about a week or so. My questions to you are:

1. Is it advisable for me and my wife to stick around in Canada until we get our PR? (we don't have friends or family and do not really know where do we go after the initial 1 week - money is also a factor here)

2. If my wife comes back to the US and I stay until we receive our PRs, will that help any bit? .... given that sometimes they call for applicants to submit their photos in person under the pretext that photos do not meet their specifications. -- Assuming that she is going to stay with some family/friends .. can't their address be used for the PR cards in US.. just a thought
3. Do you know if it is illegal to mail / courier PR cards out of Canada? -- US is fine

4. Is it too much trouble or is it frowned upon if you apply for a "Travel Document" to travel back to Canada if you receive a request to submit new photos in person? I am worried about it getting rejected (just playing conservative).... have you heard of any "new/fresh immigrant" getting rejected for travel document?

Karl

karl

Star Member
Oct 6, 2009
Rinks,
Thx for your reply. But as per what I have read on this forum, Mailing address on PR cards have to be within Canada.

Seniors plz clarify.

Pasi

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2009
Toronto
Hi Qorax, one question reg the travel document. I landed in Toronto as of Aug 13, 2010 and yet to get my PR card. But there is an urgent need for me to visit Toronto again this week. Do you have any idea about applying for a Travel Document in Buffalo visa office? I see all the instructions in their website, but I want to confirm if this is a one day process and if they can issue the document on the same day of submitting my application and passport. From the instructions, I have collected all the details needed to submit my application.

Also from the instructions PDF, I see the following:

Note to holders of a:
• Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
• Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)
• Returning Resident Permit

These documents are not valid for travel back to Canada. You require a permanent resident card or a travel document to re-enter Canada by train, plane, boat or bus.
Travel documents are issued to permanent residents abroad to provide proof to a transportation company that the holder is entitled to re-enter Canada as a permanent resident.

Is this the only purpose of the travel document? In that case, if I plan to drive into Canada, can I do it just with a Record of Landing document?

USCAN

Jan 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Qorax bro,

I have a question for you regarding proof of fund. I have account with TD BANK here in NY. In my case, should I just change

home address with the bank ( Canadian home address) and carry bank letter as a proof of fund? Will that work or do I have to

close the account and carry bank draft?

Please advise

Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
karl said:
Hey Qorax,

2. If my wife comes back to the US and I stay until we receive our PRs, will that help any bit? .... given that sometimes they call for applicants to submit their photos in person under the pretext that photos do not meet their specifications.

3. Do you know if it is illegal for our friends or family to mail / courier PR cards out of Canada?

4. Is it too much trouble or is it frowned upon if you apply for a "Travel Document" to travel back to Canada if you receive a request to submit new photos in person? I am worried about the Travel Document getting rejected (just playing conservative).... have you heard of any "new/fresh immigrant" getting rejected for Travel document?

Karl
1. I repeatedly advise everyone to stay-put in Canada for at least 2+ months, so that u obtain your PRCs. It's by far the most important doc, not worth messing around with.

2. It's Ok, but not advisable, 'coz of the reasons above.

3. It's not illegal, but isn't advisable as well. What if they get lost in transit? However, many take the risk, so if u have compelling reasons to return - that might be the one way to go, bro.

4. Trouble - Yes. Frowned upon - No. Avoidance is a better/wiser option though.

Qorax