+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

canaimmi

Mar 2, 2010
Hi Qorax,

I will be landing in Vancouver on 21 Sep 2010, I have about 15k CAD in TCs and 2k CAD in Cash,do you think this is ok

mrdynamo said:
Hai Qorax,
i have some queries regarding POF taking to canada.

1) what is the best proportionate to take 17000 CAD$(TC,DD,CASH)?

2) after submitting my TC,DD, to canadian bank account,after how many days i will encash them?(i am interested in TD CANADA bank.)

3) as iwe have to leave for canada after approx.1.5-2 months,what is the best time to purchase them(tc,dd)os what is the canadian dollar trend?will rise or fall in coming time?

pls reply as soon as you can?

mrdynamo

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
canaimmi said:
Hi Qorax,

I will be landing in Vancouver on 21 Sep 2010, I have about 15k CAD in TCs and 2k CAD in Cash,do you think this is ok
Perfectly alright. But u could carry drafts instead of the TCs too.
Qorax

SukhiInCanada

Sep 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank u very much dear Qorax...Great human being u r...

qorax said:
Yes, it's safe to use the "reputed" online sites for paying (thru Cr. Card) & obtaining your flight tkts. Similarly so for the websites of the Airlines*.

*However, more often than not, the Airlines' Websites will offer u the best rates.

Qorax

newceo

Star Member
Aug 7, 2008
qorax said:
I've time & again stated on various threads about not filling that PRC Application Form for the 1st landing. I did it though... But It's Not Required... It'd be done automatically by the BSO, on their system as u land & provide the Canadian address.

Qorax
Thank you so much Qorax. Your tips & answers always helped me.

Most probably I will be flying to Vancour this month end on Company's assignment instead on my personal trip. Do I need to still show POF when we land, because my company will be providing all the required documentation.

Thank you so much in advance.

Thanks..

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
newceo said:
Thank you so much Qorax. Your tips & answers always helped me.

Most probably I will be flying to Vancour this month end on Company's assignment instead on my personal trip. Do I need to still show POF when we land, because my company will be providing all the required documentation.

Thank you so much in advance.

Thanks..
If u r not "initially" an AEO applicant, I'm afraid u'd be required* to show your Landing Funds.

Qorax

*'coz your current company's offer will not be on their system.

nadahmedk

Star Member
May 10, 2010
Dear Captain!!

I am getting DD for 22000 CAD, and remaining 2-4K as cash, now its difficult to get CAD cahs in Bangalore whereas USD is commonly available, is it fine to bring USD will that be acceptable in shops like walmart and others or only at ecahnge counter

Also, I can get TC in CAD will they be usefull as cash, in US I rememer to cash them in Walmart, hotels, etc is that same in Canada?
Thanks,
Nadeem

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
nadahmedk said:
Dear Captain!!

I am getting DD for 22000 CAD, and remaining 2-4K as cash, now its difficult to get CAD cahs in Bangalore whereas USD is commonly available, is it fine to bring USD will that be acceptable in shops like walmart and others or only at ecahnge counter

Also, I can get TC in CAD will they be usefull as cash, in US I rememer to cash them in Walmart, hotels, etc is that same in Canada?
Thanks,
Nadeem
Perfectly alright. Here (in Canada) too US$ is a well accepted legal tender. U'd be fine with them@Walmart, other Stores, Hotels, Cellular Shops etc.

But there's a catch, though minor one - all these merchants shall convert those US$$ in much lower rates than the current day's market value. BTW, there is solace in knowing that the same applies in any country.

TCs would be fine too. Ditto as the US$. provided u get them@good rates in Bangalore.

But tell u what? If u shop around a little bit seriously in Brigade Road, Richmond Rd, Commercial Avenue, Majestic area -near the Kapali (if it's still there) etc. u'd find many Exchangers (if not Western Union counters) who'd have enough CADs in a span of time. Just leave your Cell No. with them.

Qorax

maharlika

Champion Member
Feb 12, 2010
Pinas
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
4131;3152
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-22-2009, returned; resent 8-09
Doc's Request.
09-24-2009
AOR Received.
02-01-2010
File Transfer...
09-30-2009
Med's Request
06-03-2010
Med's Done....
07-30,31-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-21-10
VISA ISSUED...
10/15/2010....reached me on 11/09/2010
LANDED..........
MAY 24, 2011
qorax said:
Perfectly alright. Here (in Canada) too US$ is a well accepted legal tender. U'd be fine with them @ Walmart, other Stores, Hotels, Cellular Shops etc.

But there's a catch, though minor one - all these merchants shall convert those US$$ in much lower rates than the current day's market value. BTW, there is solace in knowing that the same applies in any country.

TCs would be fine too. Ditto as the US$. provided u get them @ good rates in Bangalore.

But tell u what? If u shop around a little bit seriously in Brigade Road, Richmond Rd, Commercial Avenue, Majestic area -near the Kapali (if it's still there) etc. u'd find many Exchangers (if not Western Union counters) who'd have enough CADs in a span of time. Just leave your Cell No. with them.

Qorax

qorax,

thanks a lot for posting this...so this means that demand drafts a re alright because it is very risky to carry cash... i plan to carry little amuont of cash and the rest will be in dd, but i have one question, i am from the Philippines, i wonder what banks can issue dd that is acceptable in canada?

any idea?

thanks once again....

nadahmedk

Star Member
May 10, 2010
Perfectly alright. Here (in Canada) too US$ is a well accepted legal tender. U'd be fine with them @ Walmart, other Stores, Hotels, Cellular Shops etc.

TCs would be fine too. Ditto as the US$. provided u get them @ good rates in Bangalore.

Qorax

Dada!!

Thank you very much!!!!

Now, I am amazed!! How could you easily talk about Bangalore!!! were you in Bangalore before!! I bet most of Bangalore guys dont know these details as you bull's eye hit on Bangalore Forex market!!

You are truly out of this world!!!

Thank you!!

Riya00

Jun 20, 2010
Cant we change dollars, TCs at the exchange rate of the day from banks?
Whats the advantages of taking DD.. over TCs and cash?

snilespg2

Oct 26, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Qorax, could this thread be post marked to reference as a quide? Otherwise I am forced to say "hello" everyday to keep it current. ;D

Aslo as it relates to Proof of Funds, I used a portion to secure housing prior to landing (not an easy task).....would I have to re-save that amount prior to landing or would proof of payment for an apartment and a copy of a lease be enough? kindly advise.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
maharlika said:
qorax,

thanks a lot for posting this...so this means that demand drafts a re alright because it is very risky to carry cash... i plan to carry little amuont of cash and the rest will be in dd, but i have one question, i am from the Philippines, i wonder what banks can issue dd that is acceptable in canada?

any idea?

thanks once again....
Risky?
Sir/Ma'am, how much cash do u plan to carry? The ideal rule is> 80:20 - 80% in Drafts & 20% in Cash. And that 20% u'd need anyway - for your imdt errands.

For the banks shelling out CAD - u need to check with your local bankers. Many overseas banks have tie-ups with Canadian Banks for making CAD drafts. At least the reputed ones in your country will have that facility, 100%. BTW, most of the times the Forex Houses will provide u better rates (for Draft or Cash) than the banks.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
nadahmedk said:
Dada!!

Thank you very much!!!!

Now, I am amazed!! How could you easily talk about Bangalore!!! were you in Bangalore before!! I bet most of Bangalore guys dont know these details as you bull's eye hit on Bangalore Forex market!!

You are truly out of this world!!!

Thank you!!
Uhh, nostalgia! Watched 'Blue Lagoon' in Blue Diamond, The 'Spy Who Loved Me' in Lido, nights out@Top Capi ('Qurbani' [older one, Laila-O-Laila fame!] was shot there) - imagine how long back was that? Resided@Indra Nagar. Studied@St. Joseph's. Did a course later@AFTC-Jalahalli West.
That's why.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
snilespg2 said:
Qorax, could this thread be post marked to reference as a quide? Otherwise I am forced to say "hello" everyday to keep it current. ;D

Aslo as it relates to Proof of Funds, I used a portion to secure housing prior to landing (not an easy task).....would I have to re-save that amount prior to landing or would proof of payment for an apartment and a copy of a lease be enough? kindly advise.
Thanx!
For Landing Funds - u need to have liquidity. Anything that's 'on person' - when u enter Canada or is readily available to u - imdt on transfer. No other form of proofs would be accepted.

Qorax