+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

myishika

May 2, 2010
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17th Sept 2009
Doc's Request.
13th Nov 2009
IELTS Request
13 Nov'09 - 7.5
File Transfer...
17th Nov 2009
Med's Request
13th April 2010
Med's Done....
20th April 2010
Interview........
Not done
Passport Req..
13th April 2010
VISA ISSUED...
11th May 2010
Dear Qorax,

Many thanks for your reply. Just 1 more followup question. If my friend is happy to courier me my PR card and if I dont have any plans for coming back very soon, do you think I can go there for 2 days. Also, for SIN card, do I have to stay there for a weekday or can I go there on weekend for applying ?

Cheers

mjm

Star Member
Feb 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Seniors,

We are planning to LAND in July and may stay for 45 days... I have some questions... We plan to move permanently after 2 years...

1. Do we have to submit tax returns every year?
2. What about income we earn out of Canada in these two years, do we pay tax for that...?
3. What if we plan to buy an apartment on this trip with 35% down payment, can we get mortgage without credit history...? How about Tax return every year?
4. What other obligations for PRs staying out of Canada for allowed two years in First Five Years?

Thanks,
MJM

Biblo

Star Member
Jun 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-Jul-2008
Doc's Request.
01- Dec - 2008
IELTS Request
01- Dec - 2008
MJM posed very important question, Qorax can you please reply? PMM and Leon are also welcome.

dsenese

Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2009
AOR Received.
11-02-2009
File Transfer...
03-06-2009
Med's Request
04-03-2010
Med's Done....
20-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2010
LANDED..........
29-05-2010
Wow - again thank you for the excellent compilation.

Couple questions and a resource.

1. I am planning to land and then return to the U.S. until I can find a job or buy a business.
  • I'm planning to list a friend's address for my PR card and on B4B4a forms. When I actually move, I will most likely have a different address. When my "Goods to Follow" enter Canada, will I need to officially change the address on the B4/B4a forms?
  • I will have items with me that I am not leaving in Canada (e.g., my laptop, camera, etc.). How to I show this on B4/B4a?

2. On another forum, britishexpats.com, a member convert the B4a form to .jpg and put it into Power Point. To fill it out, you:
  • Make your list in Excel (Ariel, 8 pt font, row height 16)
  • Copy and paste (plain text) onto the form
To find it - search "britishexpat.com b4 power point" in Google.

Thanks again....

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
myishika said:
Dear Qorax,

Many thanks for your reply. Just 1 more followup question. If my friend is happy to courier me my PR card and if I dont have any plans for coming back very soon, do you think I can go there for 2 days. Also, for SIN card, do I have to stay there for a weekday or can I go there on weekend for applying ?

Cheers
1. Yes, your friend can courier it to u abroad. But remember, the risks involved [lost in transit].
2. SIN No. u get on the spot, the card takes 10-15 days. U don't need the card for anything.
3. All offices r closed in weekend. Mon-Fri working.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mjm said:
Hello Seniors,

We are planning to LAND in July and may stay for 45 days... I have some questions... We plan to move permanently after 2 years...

1. Do we have to submit tax returns every year?
2. What about income we earn out of Canada in these two years, do we pay tax for that...?
3. What if we plan to buy an apartment on this trip with 35% down payment, can we get mortgage without credit history...? How about Tax return every year?
4. What other obligations for PRs staying out of Canada for allowed two years in First Five Years?

Thanks,
MJM
1. No. U only file Tax Returns if u have residential ties in Canada.
2. If u don't disclose that [& u don't bring it here], there is no tax.
3. Yes, with 35% u can get a mortgage from the secondary market easily. But for primary lenders, u'll yet need 'overseas credit report'.
4. No obligations if u reside outside Canada. Just keep track of the 2/5 rule.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
dsenese said:
Wow - again thank you for the excellent compilation.

Couple questions and a resource.

1. I am planning to land and then return to the U.S. until I can find a job or buy a business.
  • I'm planning to list a friend's address for my PR card and on B4B4a forms. When I actually move, I will most likely have a different address. When my "Goods to Follow" enter Canada, will I need to officially change the address on the B4/B4a forms?
  • I will have items with me that I am not leaving in Canada (e.g., my laptop, camera, etc.). How to I show this on B4/B4a?

2. On another forum, britishexpats.com, a member convert the B4a form to .jpg and put it into Power Point. To fill it out, you:
  • Make your list in Excel (Ariel, 8 pt font, row height 16)
  • Copy and paste (plain text) onto the form
To find it - search "britishexpat.com b4 power point" in Google.

Thanks again....
1. No need to change the address later. While leaving u'll need do fill the yellow slip for goods u r taking our & bringing back again.

2. Why to go into that stress? Just take a blank print-out. Type the columns/rows in excel, adjust the format in 2-3 dummy prints & once u r set print-it on the B4*.

*Alternatively, there is a writable B4A in the same Britexpat forum that u suggested. Download that. [the B4 is anyway on a writable pdf]

dsenese

Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2009
AOR Received.
11-02-2009
File Transfer...
03-06-2009
Med's Request
04-03-2010
Med's Done....
20-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2010
LANDED..........
29-05-2010
Thanks for the info on the goods in / out.

Either way is pretty easy. Yes for the B4 I will use the online .pdf. The other way is just one of many solutions for making the original list in Excel - like yours.

rang

Oct 6, 2009
qorax said:
Hi Cheot,

If u r referring to the forms B4 & B4A [which is for listing of goods], u can get it at the a/port... but do u want to waste all your time filling it there? Won't it be better that u do it while at home... leisurely? Besides, how would u write the Sl. Nos. of electronic items... Pics of the Jewellry etc.?

BTW: Do it @ home. If u r referring to some other forms -plz clarify.

Regards,
Qorax

Qorax, I have a question about jewelry. do I have to photo each one oh it that is listed on the B4 list or only those on the B4A ?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
rang said:
Qorax, I have a question about jewelry. do I have to photo each one oh it that is listed on the B4 list or only those on the B4A ?
U r unnecessarily getting confused with both the forms -B4 & B4A.

Let me make it clear... B4A is just an 'extension' of B4. If u have goods that can be listed in the B4, u don't need to file B4A. The form B4 has Eight [8] rows, if u can list all your good into eight categories, u do no fill-in B4A.

How to do that? This is what I did:
I categorized all my good in to 8 categories, eg. Jewellery, Electronics, Mobile Phones, Clothing & Personal effects, DVDs & CDs, Crockery & Cutlery, Linens & coverings. Each I listed in a separate excel sheet & valued. That worked perfectly. I did not file any B4A.

Jewellery:
U MUST printout photographs. Use groups in one A4 sheet. Eg. Rings in one sheet, Necklaces & Chains in another, Sets in one more etc. etc. That worked for me & many others.

Good Luck.
Qorax

mjm

Star Member
Feb 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
1. No. U only file Tax Returns if u have residential ties in Canada.
2. If u don't disclose that [& u don't bring it here], there is no tax.
3. Yes, with 35% u can get a mortgage from the secondary market easily. But for primary lenders, u'll yet need 'overseas credit report'.
4. No obligations if u reside outside Canada. Just keep track of the 2/5 rule.
Qorax... Thanks Bro...

What are considered Residential Ties in Canada...?

Is the property owned by PR residing out of Canada, is considered a tie...?
Having Health Insurance Cards in Canada while PR is out of Canada, is a tie...?

Please provide some guidance as usual...

MJM

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mjm said:
Qorax... Thanks Bro...

What are considered Residential Ties in Canada...?

Is the property owned by PR residing out of Canada, is considered a tie...?
Having Health Insurance Cards in Canada while PR is out of Canada, is a tie...?

Please provide some guidance as usual...

MJM
If u have the following in Canada,
1. A Tenancy Contract
2. Ownership of a house
3. A car etc.

That'd be considered a Residential Tie.

Qorax

tutiet

May 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi qorax,
I am newbie here, I believed that you are the right person to be the first to ask in my first post since I've had read some of your post and it's very satisfiable.I have my PR visa already and planning to land in Vancouver on July of this year.I have only $2000-3000 in my pocket as a proof of landing fund and rest will be provided by my relatives living already in Canada.Is that enough to satisfy the IO and be permitted to land.Do I need some proof(letter) from my relatives that they will assist and provide all my needs when I get there.Thank you so much and will be waiting for your reply...more power to you.

R

Raj22

Just a small question about Jewelry photographs.

Do we need to photograph only the jwellery we are taking as stated in Good accompaning list or we need to photograph the jewelry which is mentioned in the Goods to follow list as well?

somcoorg

Apr 21, 2010
Hi Qorax

Thanks for the update!

Is there any validity or expiry period for the goods to follow list.
What is the maximum time to get the goods mentioned in the "goods to follow list"
At the time of first landing, I will declare few goods to follow, but I will carry it when settling permanently after a year or two.

Do I need to mention as to when these goods expected to reach canada