+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing from Texas - best option

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I am planning to land sometime between early January and March next year. It'll be soft landing. I've thought about landing in Toronto airport by taking a direct flight from Dallas. It costs ~$500 per person and I'd be spending around $1000 for me and my wife.

I would like to know if there are any other cheaper options to land..

I thought of taking flight to Buffalo and cross by foot which would cost only half of taking flight to Toronto, but I'm concerned about the winter and snow. I have a 20mo toddler, and I really don't wish to take chances by walking in cold in an international border. One reason is cold and another reason is unfamiliarity with the area/border setup.. like it might be hard to even stand and enquire something to someone in the cold. So I thought Toronto might be much hassle free to land. Also I can apply SIN right away at the airport which is not possible if I land crossing border by foot.

Any other options do I have to do landing other than taking flight to Toronto to save some $$? Like taking flight to a different airport or a different land crossing without cold?

Thanks.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I see several flights between 200-250$ for several Canadian international airports from DFW in mid-Jan. If you play around with below link you should be able to buy tickets for less than 500$ for your family.

https://www.kayak.com/explore/DFW

Thanks.

As I created that thread, something struck me. My work location is in a different state in North East. My spouse is working in Texas. I work from Texas occasionally. Do you think the officer might ask why am I flying back to Texas when my work location is elsewhere? I expect full screening of employment as I'm planning to use AVR. I can say my spouse is working there, but I really hate to show more documents/paperwork (H4 EAD) in that context if asked. Landing via Buffalo might avoid all of those headache

Vpalanimuthu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
I don't think they would care about where you come from.... When we land we are not someone who is violating any law that makes more scrutiny. Since this is the first landing, go with your papers necessary for entering into canada..

Reactions: scylla

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I don't think they would care about where you come from.... When we land we are not someone who is violating any law that makes more scrutiny. Since this is the first landing, go with your papers necessary for entering into canada..
I meant US immigration..!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
@DEEPCUR - Did you consider using a rental car from Buffalo airport to finish landing?
Yeah I did. Feeling little nervous about crossing borders by car. Plus feeling iffy drive in peak winter in possible snow.

I have postponed my landing till March end for now. Hopefully something works out by then.

gnosticman

Sep 25, 2017
Dallas to Seattle flights are cheap. I flew to Seattle, rented a car to Surrey, BC (1st city after crossing border), stayed in a motel and came back the same way next day. The road is fine and good to take (2 hrs drive overall) and both side immigration are pretty relaxed and helpful.

Think about it in parallel.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Dallas to Seattle flights are cheap. I flew to Seattle, rented a car to Surrey, BC (1st city after crossing border), stayed in a motel and came back the same way next day. The road is fine and good to take (2 hrs drive overall) and both side immigration are pretty relaxed and helpful.

Thanks.. let me check this out

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016

What would be the GPS address to put in this case? Book some hotel in Surrey, BC online and use that address?
How complex is the border setup? I have heard scary stories of people accidentally taking wrong lanes (which they are not supposed to take; like Nexus one) at Niagara border.
Is the border easily identifiable so that we can go to report to CBSA?

nitinvgarg

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017

I live and work in Seattle. I am a PNP-O(Ontario) candidate. My destination province is Ontario. Can I do landing on the BC border as it is only two hours from Seattle.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I live and work in Seattle. I am a PNP-O(Ontario) candidate. My destination province is Ontario. Can I do landing on the BC border as it is only two hours from Seattle.
I think no. They do check if you are a PNP candidate while landing I guess. search this forum to double check

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
What would be the GPS address to put in this case? Book some hotel in Surrey, BC online and use that address?
How complex is the border setup? I have heard scary stories of people accidentally taking wrong lanes (which they are not supposed to take; like Nexus one) at Niagara border.
Is the border easily identifiable so that we can go to report to CBSA?
While you are waiting for @gnosticman , let me share my NY-QC border crossing experience. I have done NY --> QC twice.

1. You can use any landmark close to USA-Canada crossing you plan to take. I had used a landmark on Canadian side close to the Lacolle Crossing to ensure that my GPS does not take me through some other crossing.

2. It's like a toll booth. I entered non-Lexus lane. I was asked to hand over passport and then was re-directed to a parking area.

3. You bet it is. ;) Canadians are not going to allow you into Canada without proper vetting. CBSA check post is the first thing you will encounter at crossing.

You can use google maps and google images to get yourself familiar with border crossing layout.

Last edited:
Reactions: DEEPCUR