+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Expireience & Can we have a PR of canada & UK

manchai

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
Dear all,

I have recently finish landing formality in Canada, Toronto. I been to Canada for two weeks. I have very nice time in Canada. Landing Formality is very easy. Immigration office were very helpful and friendly. I made a list of goods to follow and list of good accompany etc.. I took the picture of jewellery as expert mentioned on this forum. They didnt check anything. They just stamped and take a photocopy and gave it to me. I apply for SIN card @ Service Canada. Its very easy and takes only 10 minutes. Is anyone wants to know about Landing formalities. I am happy to help.

As i get PR i have one question. I still haven't work out whether to live in UK or Canada. I am living in UK now. I am about to receive my Indefinite leave to remain in UK (after 18 months). Can i apply for UK PR as well as Canadian PR ? I read somewhere that i got to surrender Canadian PR if i wants to apply for UK Indefinite leave as legally u cant apply for 2 country PR. is that true ? what is the procedure ? Is anyone knows ?

Please help.

thanks,
Regards,
Manan

Love_London

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
LONDON
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Doc's Request.
Dec 2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with application (7.5 band)
Med's Request
March 2013
Med's Done....
April 2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
October 2013
VISA ISSUED...
October 2013 (PP received November 2013)
LANDED..........
November 2013
Did you like Canada more than UK?

manchai

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
I got good experience with Canada. People are very helpful and friendly. I land on Saturday and immigration office was very friendly. He welcome me to Canada couple of time. Its not like UK were immigrant are not welcome. Its feel like a home. I stay there for 15 days. Weather is very cold compare to UK. If u don't like cold and windy weather than think twice before going to Canada.

Expensive -
Toronto is as expensive as London. Everything is more or less same price. I was in the impression that canada is cheaper than uk.

Housing -
Canada is bigger country than uk. so you find very spacious house. House price is very cheap compare to uk. you will get good value of money. Houses is very cheap than uk

Transport -
Public Transport from Mississauga to Toronto down town is about 285 dollar a month which is similar to London zone 1 to 5 monthly travel card. Public transport is not as good as uk. Having said that people use car more often than public transport. Car insurance is very expensive compare to uk. It does make sense as driving get difficult in snowing condition. it bound to have a more accidents.

Health system
Health system is similar to uk. you will pay for prescription. but check up is free.

Job market
I am not sure about job market as i was there for only 2 weeks and haven't check job market. People was saying its very difficult this days and you will not get higher salary compare to uk. But i dont know whether its true or not.

Tax
Canada got similar tax system. higher you earn more tax you pay. Canada got 13 % tax on purchases while in uk it got 20 %. I see a lot of canadians moaning about 13 % tax.

Personally i like Canada but to live the job in uk and start from scratch again .....i am not sure. As you are in tier 1 and in the same boat. what is your thoughts ? r you going to live uk ? do you have family there ?

Please note that all the above is my observation of 2 weeks. i might be wrong.

regards,

nishanth028

Jan 19, 2013
hi,
its nice to hear ur landing experience.
could u tell me how long does it take to get SIN and PR card?
I am waiting for my passport to be back from my visa office.
i am planning to come back to my home country for my marriage after my PR, in that case can i sponsor my wife? how much time does it take for her to come to canada?
do u have any idea regarding this.please help me ..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
manchai said:
Dear all,

I have recently finish landing formality in Canada, Toronto. I been to Canada for two weeks. I have very nice time in Canada. Landing Formality is very easy. Immigration office were very helpful and friendly. I made a list of goods to follow and list of good accompany etc.. I took the picture of jewellery as expert mentioned on this forum. They didnt check anything. They just stamped and take a photocopy and gave it to me. I apply for SIN card @ Service Canada. Its very easy and takes only 10 minutes. Is anyone wants to know about Landing formalities. I am happy to help.

As i get PR i have one question. I still haven't work out whether to live in UK or Canada. I am living in UK now. I am about to receive my Indefinite leave to remain in UK (after 18 months). Can i apply for UK PR as well as Canadian PR ? I read somewhere that i got to surrender Canadian PR if i wants to apply for UK Indefinite leave as legally u cant apply for 2 country PR. is that true ? what is the procedure ? Is anyone knows ?

Please help.

thanks,
Regards,
Manan
You can have PR of both Canada and the UK at the same time. The problem will be in keeping both of them.

For Canada, you have the "730 days within the preceding 5 years" rule for residency obligations to fulfil.
That is easy, compared to the UK, where there is a different method of calculation used.

In the UK, if you are out of the country for more than 2 years, you will almost certainly lose your ILR status.
But, there's more! (as they say in the TV adverts).
If you cannot convince the immigration officer at the UK point of entry that you are truly a "returning resident", even if you have been away for less than two years, they may only admit you as a visitor. At this point, you will also have lost the ability to be counted as a returning resident from there on. See the UKBA web site at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/settlement/returning-residents/

The "killer" line is highlighted below.
A resident is someone who has been given permission to stay in the UK without any time limit. A returning resident is a resident who left the UK and wants to come back to live here again.

You may return to the UK as a resident if:

you were settled in the UK when you last left; and
you have been away for 2 years or less; and
you are returning to live here permanently; and
you were not given public funds to pay the costs of leaving the UK.
As you would not comply with "returning to live here permanently", you may well be refused, based on Paragraph 2.5 of http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/idischapter1/section3/section3.pdf?view=Binary

2.4. Residents returning as visitors

Passengers who had indefinite leave when they last left the United Kingdom and who
have not been away for more than 2 years occasionally seek entry not as returning
residents but as visitors. Such passengers should be given leave to enter on Code 3
and not Code 5N. Full details should be given, either on the landing card or in a report,
of:
* the passenger's family circumstances, connections with the United Kingdom and
future intentions;
* the passenger's journeys to and from the United Kingdom which led to his being
treated as a visitor; and
* confirmation that the passenger was aware of the implications of the landing
conditions and the fact that he will no longer be eligible to be treated as a
returning resident.

2.5. Doubts as to true intentions

Where a person seeks admission as a returning resident but there are clear and
substantive reasons to doubt that the person is returning to settle in the United Kingdom,
the immigration officer should try to establish his true intentions. If, after further
examination, it is clear that the passenger is only visiting the United Kingdom before
resuming residence overseas he should be admitted as a visitor as described in
paragraph 2.4 above.

manchai

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
zardoz said:
You can have PR of both Canada and the UK at the same time. The problem will be in keeping both of them.

For Canada, you have the "730 days within the preceding 5 years" rule for residency obligations to fulfil.
That is easy, compared to the UK, where there is a different method of calculation used.

In the UK, if you are out of the country for more than 2 years, you will almost certainly lose your ILR status.
But, there's more! (as they say in the TV adverts).
If you cannot convince the immigration officer at the UK point of entry that you are truly a "returning resident", even if you have been away for less than two years, they may only admit you as a visitor. At this point, you will also have lost the ability to be counted as a returning resident from there on. See the UKBA web site at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/settlement/returning-residents/

The "killer" line is highlighted below.
As you would not comply with "returning to live here permanently", you may well be refused, based on Paragraph 2.5 of http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/idischapter1/section3/section3.pdf?view=Binary
My only concern is when i am going to apply for ILR in UK in December 2014, do I need to surrender my Canadian PR ? I do need UK indefinite leave to remain as i got full time job and other assets here. I am not sure about choosing one of the country.

can i keep the both of them together ?

Please put some light on it.

thanks,
manan

manchai

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
nishanth028 said:
hi,
i am planning to come back to my home country for my marriage after my PR, in that case can i sponsor my wife? how much time does it take for her to come to canada?
SIN CARD
you will get sin card number straight away. all you need to do is take your landing documents and go to nearest service canada and apply. they will give u SIN Number in 10 min. Actual sin card comes in 2 weeks on your canadian address.

PR CARD
i dont know how long it takes. I apply on 6th april and havent received yet. You can go to canada. do you landing formalities. give canadian address and than if u want u can go back to home country. only catch is u need to ask some one to courier u r pr card.

Sorry i dont know how to sponser spouse

cheers

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
manchai said:
My only concern is when i am going to apply for ILR in UK in December 2014, do I need to surrender my Canadian PR ? I do need UK indefinite leave to remain as i got full time job and other assets here. I am not sure about choosing one of the country.

can i keep the both of them together ?

Please put some light on it.

thanks,
manan
You do not have to surrender anything to get your ILR but you will have difficulty managing your time so that you can KEEP them both. However, the whole point of both a PR or an ILR is to settle permanently in a single country. You really should choose one or the other to make your permanent home.

Love_London

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
LONDON
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Doc's Request.
Dec 2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with application (7.5 band)
Med's Request
March 2013
Med's Done....
April 2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
October 2013
VISA ISSUED...
October 2013 (PP received November 2013)
LANDED..........
November 2013
I think its good to take PR from Canada and move. There is lot of pressure in UK about immigration and you never know when they will change their PR and Citizenship rules. I am also in same situation Tier 1 UK and done with Canada PR medical. I am planning to move once successful in my application.Then there is option to bring parents in Canada, which is very difficult in UK other than as visitor.

manchai

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
zardoz said:
You do not have to surrender anything to get your ILR but you will have difficulty managing your time so that you can KEEP them both. However, the whole point of both a PR or an ILR is to settle permanently in a single country. You really should choose one or the other to make your permanent home.
i am not intend to keep the residency for both the country. I want uk ILR as been to uk for last 8 years and after all this hardwork dont want to loose my right to get uk pr.

Looking at the state of uk economy i might decide to leave the country after getting ILR. i have 5 years visa on my pr card. so i can always stay 3 years straight away in canada and forget about uk. I hope that make sense.

do i need to inform ukba when applying UK ILR THAT i am indian citizen with canadian pr and now applying for uk ILR. I KNOW ITS VERY VERY CONFUSING.

manchai

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
Love_London said:
I think its good to take PR from Canada and move. There is lot of pressure in UK about immigration and you never know when they will change their PR and Citizenship rules. I am also in same situation Tier 1 UK and done with Canada PR medical. I am planning to move once successful in my application.Then there is option to bring parents in Canada, which is very difficult in UK other than as visitor.
Canada has stop an application for Parents. You can bring parents or grand parents on immigration. They can bring there only for visitor visa(same as uk) only thing they get 10 years visa and they can stay upto 2 years. while in uk they can stay only upto 6 months.

In Uk immigration is an issue. I know where are u coming from. But in Canada main problem is weather. Its really really cold. Even its in 14 or 15 degree it feels like minus 1 because of high level of wind. Its up to individual choice where to stay.

In my case i will get my ILR IN DEC 14 AND GET CITIZEN SHIP IN DEC 15. WHILE IN CANADA AFTER 3 YEARS U CAN APPLY FOR CITIZEN SHIP BUT IT TAKES TIME once u applied for it.

Only good thing is Canadian economy is doing very well compare to uk. Having said that during my stay in canada people were saying u wont get higher salary like uk in canada. At the same time things are not expensive as well in canada.

jotgrewal

Jan 8, 2011
Canada
nishanth028 said:
hi,

I think it will take around 7 - 8 months for your spouse to get visa after you apply for her, but for that you have to show enough funds / salary etc in canada that you can take care of her expenses while she comes to Canada, so you need job or some kind of sponsorship letter for that.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
manchai said:
Canada has stop an application for Parents. You can bring parents or grand parents on immigration. They can bring there only for visitor visa(same as uk) only thing they get 10 years visa and they can stay upto 2 years. while in uk they can stay only upto 6 months.

In Uk immigration is an issue. I know where are u coming from. But in Canada main problem is weather. Its really really cold. Even its in 14 or 15 degree it feels like minus 1 because of high level of wind. Its up to individual choice where to stay.

In my case i will get my ILR IN DEC 14 AND GET CITIZEN SHIP IN DEC 15. WHILE IN CANADA AFTER 3 YEARS U CAN APPLY FOR CITIZEN SHIP BUT IT TAKES TIME once u applied for it.

Only good thing is Canadian economy is doing very well compare to uk.ILR IN DEC 14 AND GET CITIZEN SHIP IN DEC 15 Having said that during my stay in canada people were saying u wont get higher salary like uk in canada. At the same time things are not expensive as well in canada.
Could you explain what you intend to do about "ILR IN DEC 14 AND GET CITIZEN SHIP IN DEC 15" because I am now confused by your intentions. If you are not married to a British Citizen, you MUST declare your intention to stay in the UK permanently or your citizenship application will be refused. If you don't stay in the UK, your citizenship may be revoked as fraudulent. See British Nationality Act 1981 Section 6(1).

manchai

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
zardoz said:
Could you explain what you intend to do about "ILR IN DEC 14 AND GET CITIZEN SHIP IN DEC 15" because I am now confused by your intentions. If you are not married to a British Citizen, you MUST declare your intention to stay in the UK permanently or your citizenship application will be refused. If you don't stay in the UK, your citizenship may be revoked as fraudulent. See British Nationality Act 1981 Section 6(1).
I am not married to british citizen. i am on tier 1 general visa from last 4 years. my ILR Comes in dec 14. As of now i am not intend to go to canada. I put canadian immigration file just for a safer side. If uk visa doesn't work out than i dont need to go back to home country. I can go to canada.

1)Now when i apply for ILR IN Dec 14. do i need to surrender my Canadian pr ?
2) like i mentioned i take Canadian pr just for safer side, my intention to settle in uk. if i need to surrender my Canadian pr before submitting uk ILR Than it was my biggest mistake to spend all this money to canadian pr (as primary intention was for safer side, which it doesn't fulfil)
3) once i got ILR i am happy to surrender canadian pr.

hope its clear now.

looking forward to your answer.