+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience

Sebeck

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
I received my COPR in May 2018 and in November officially landed as a Permanent Resident in Vancouver. Hurrah! It will happen to you too!!

I meant to write this post about my landing experience for a while in the hope that it will help others after me.

My fiance and I arrived around 8pm after 30+ hours of travelling (yawn) and went to the standard immigration queue, before explaining that this was a special case of landed immigrant status. I was told to collect bags first then proceed to a separate room.

Inside there was a row of about 12 official booths but only 3 officials there, and facing them rows of chairs with people who looked like they'd spent most of their lives there. aghh.

This turned out to be an informal queue, where people kept shuffling along when someone was called. The officials were quite rude to several of those ahead of us, and lots of people had piles of papers that made me nervous. I had only bought my COPR, passport (obviously), and birth certificate. I also had some copies of the documents I sent off in the original application, ie bank statements, but these would be redundant now anyway after a year. One woman was told off for not having her address in Canada where they would send her residency card. Another was having some problems remembering what she wrote on her form.

When finally called, all I was asked for was the COPR. I then went through a process where the officer tried to basically catch me out based on the info he had on his screen. For example, he said, "so that's your husband sitting over there." I corrected him no, not yet. Then he said, so you live in "Phuket", no I said, and corrected him. "You are a school teacher." "No, not even close..." and so on. This is clearly making sure what you say matches what info they took in your forms etc. Be on the ball - you should of course know this info but you will probably be tired! You are then required to explain your plan going forward. He was not too happy when I said I will be leaving again and not moving right away to Canada, but I was able to explain why. Then you provide the address to send the card to (the card reaches that address within 2 months).

You then confirm a few security questions, sign three times on your COPR, it is stamped, and then.......

that's it!

You're in! I hoped to be given a celebratory jug of maple syrup and a hockey stick but alas no. I did take a selfie with the officer though, and then stagger off for some much needed sleep. Not all experiences will be like this but this is a faithful account of an evening PR landing at YVR.

Good luck future Canadians!

Reactions: wings149

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
My husband was only asked id he had been charged with any offences and if he had ever been ordered to leave canada when arriving. I guess each experience is different! Congrats and welcome!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
My husband was only asked id he had been charged with any offences and if he had ever been ordered to leave canada when arriving. I guess each experience is different! Congrats and welcome!
We were asked two similar innocuous questions also - British PA. I suspect the questions they ask may vary according to the nationality of the PA, either that or they vary by airport (we landed at Ottawa)??

Sebeck

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for your replies! I'm British, so it can't be nationality - poss airport or the mood of the official on the day!? Friend of mine had similarly stressful experience crossing via land border, tiny baby in tow.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
We were asked two similar innocuous questions also - British PA. I suspect the questions they ask may vary according to the nationality of the PA, either that or they vary by airport (we landed at Ottawa)??
Could be... my hubby is dominican. We landed in toronto