+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience in Canada

PM48633

Star Member
Nov 6, 2009
Hi,
Landed in Toronto Canada on BA flight at 18:30.

The procedure was smooth following are the details

Filled up the Landing form which gives the details of custom rules
1. Landed and proceeded to Immigration counter where in the officer stamped our passports he filled up the COPR forms and we signed it a copy was attached to the passport and we were welcomed to Canada we were told that the PR cards would arrive in3 to 4 weeks.
2. We then proceeded to the Welcome Canada counter where we were given some pamphlets and books and a bag with regards to settling in Canada.
3. We then collected our luggages please note keep change 2 CAD per trolley which can get you the trolleys You could also hire a porter who charges you CAD 10 plus CAD 2 for each trolley. Which can be avoided, as the trolleys are quite good to handle.
4. We then proceeded to customs and the officer checked our passports and asked us for the goods to be followed and the goods carried along list.
5. He also wanted the photograph of Gold and Jewelry which if mentioned in the goods to follow list not much concerned about the Goods carried along..
6. He stamped the Goods to follow list and give us a print out of the value of Goods to followed printed on it also details were mentioned on the COPR which was attached to the passport .we were instructed to keep the COPR form and the printed custom form and the goods to follow list with us when we bring the goods to follow.
7. Landed in Brampton at a relatives place.
8. It is very useful to have some one in Canada to take you around.
9. Next morning went to get my SIN (Social Insurance) and received a temp SIN number for self and family and were informed that the SIN cards would come in a couple of weeks.
10. Next went to the Bank TD trust bank had carried the funds for 3 in Travelers cheques and around thousand CAD in cash. Opened a account with the bank which was a checking account where there is no interest and a tax free Savings account for Self and my spouse (The Tax free savings account allows a person to save max CAD 5000 where in you do not pay tax on the interest however you could move the funds to your checking account when you want the funds but can only deposit them in the Tax free savings account once a year)
11. Got a unsecured VISA credit card for CAD 500 since I had a Job letter with our relatives Dealership business.
12. Wife was given a CAD 500 secured visa, which is secured against your funds in your account.
13. Always advisable to start building your credit history by using your credit cards wisely and paying by due date. The more you build your credit and use it wisely it is advisable as it would help you build up your credit points and would help you in taking your mortgage early.
14. Avoid applying for credit cards left right and center as every time you get rejected it reflects on your credit history unlike in India.as the co issuing the card would pull up our credit history which we do not have and for every credit history check we loose points. Hence avoid.
15. Next went in for a phone connection Post paid Bell Solo connection for 45CAD which gives 400 minutes talk time (Free from 6:00 PM to 8:00AM). Additional 10 CAD for free incoming 6 CAD for Caller ID.
16. There are various schemes for International dialing to India I got a scheme where in with CAD 10 I can speak for 10 Hrs any time of the day excluding Air time hence better to call during the free time (Free from 6:00 PM to 8:00AM).
17. Next checked out a Apt near Citi center in Brampton where in we applied for a 1 year lease with 1st and last cheque as advance.1BHK with den is around CAD 1055 and 2 BHK with den is around 1175.Awaiting confirmation as the larger Apts do a check on your credit history before confirming
18. Continued for the Job search (Please note you would need to modify your Resume to apply jobs in Canada refer www.settlement.org
19. Please note you would start receiving call once you have a Canadian Address and a Canadian contact number on your resume.(I received calls on my cell and the C/O residence number.
20. Scheduled for an interview today with a financial company as per my profile. Looking forward to getting selected.
This was my experience in Canada post landing on the 25th till today 29th April.
Do contact me in case any one has any queries that I could be of any help.

Regards,
Pm48633

haral

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Heartiest congratulations... seems u had a vcery smooth ride... enjoy ur new life... i will appreciate if u can check out as to what kind of job oppurtunities there are for someone with special education experience. my wife works with children with special needs and we have applied under NOC 3143.....

Thx

dsr08

Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June2009
AOR Received.
July2009
Med's Request
15-Dec-2009
Med's Done....
25-Dec-2009
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-Dec-2009
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2010
LANDED..........
-
Congratulations for safe and smooth landing. You have described the experience in nice way. Would you please clarify?

1. Whether each member of the family have to prepare goods to be followed and the goods being carried list individually?
2. I plan to complete landing process and resign my job after returning from Canada. At that time I will receive, PPF, encashment
of leave, gratuity etc from employer and also will sell property. Do I need to mention approximate amount likely to be received in the list of goods to be followed to avoid any taxes (if any) later on?
3. Whether each member of the family have to open Bank Accounts individually?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
dsr08 said:
Congratulations for safe and smooth landing. You have described the experience in nice way. Would you please clarify?

1. Whether each member of the family have to prepare goods to be followed and the goods being carried list individually?
2. I plan to complete landing process and resign my job after returning from Canada. At that time I will receive, PPF, encashment of leave, gratuity etc from employer and also will sell property. Do I need to mention approximate amount likely to be received in the list of goods to be followed to avoid any taxes (if any) later on?
3. Whether each member of the family have to open Bank Accounts individually?
1. No. The forms r family specific, not individualized.
2. The B4 & B4A r for 'goods' -not monies/funds. No need to mention that.
3. That's a personal choice... their is no rule to that effect. U may just have 1 for the entire family, jointly held.

QORAX

Yahoo India

Feb 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
15-03-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
03-2010
File Transfer...
15-03-2010
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
As soon as I get Visa
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.

MAY GOD BLESS US ALL WITH PR TO CANADA AND A HAPPY SETTLED LIFE THERE.

prsh_patel

Feb 9, 2010
Vadodara
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2009
Doc's Request.
30-01-2010
AOR Received.
30-03-2010
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
3rd Feb 2010
Med's Request
08-07-2010
Med's Done....
13-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2010
LANDED..........
Jan 2011
I must appreciate your effort for sparing time and detailing steps and processes after landing and what have you done so far. I hope by the end of the day you will have your appointment letter in your pocket, go for it, more power to you...all the best...

accounts

Aug 4, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2010
LANDED..........
August 6 2010
PM48633 said:
Hi,
Hi...Nice & best wishes for your new innings..

What was your experience at POE regarding proof of funds? Whether they counted your cash or simply enquired about the funds u were carrying?

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Hi PM48633,

Thanx bro for sharing your landing experience. It is really a great thing you made for aspirants like us. Can you pls share the following also..

1. We also plan to land in Toronto, bcas both me and my wife are financial/banking professionals.
2. Whats your opinion about getting a job in banks and financial institutions in Toronto?
3. You mentioned abt rental of apt there in brampton. I hope the rent is monthly... CAD 1100/- or more..
4. Also you mentioned that your PR Card will be forwarded to your address in 3-4 weeks time. Means you have to provide the address to the Immigration counter in advance?
5. Last but not least.... We will bring sale proceeds of your house from India.... may be after 1-2 years only. Don't know what will be the sale proceeds.... whether the approx. amount should be mentioned elsewhere??

Thanks and wish you a bright future in Canada..

Satish

senuphilip

Star Member
Apr 29, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Really it was very informative
GOD BLESS

Thanks

imran01

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
THANKZ FOR SHARING VALUABLE EXPERIENCE WITH YOUR FRIEND ON THIS FORUM...
REGARDS

PM48633

Star Member
Nov 6, 2009
Hi accounts,

Well in my case I was there with myself spouse and son, however the immigration officer at Toronto did not even ask me about the proof of funds at all.
Same was the case with customs there to I was not asked for proof of funds at all.
However it’s not the case with every one.
My question is you would need to bring your funds irrespective since how would you get an apartment if you do not have money to show in your bank account.
Here everything works on credit history from day one and any one would want to do a credit check prior to giving you an apt if your new and without relatives who are willing to stand as a guarantor.
Regards,
PM48633

PM48633

Star Member
Nov 6, 2009
Hi satish_lkb,

Well there are various types of Apts varying from CAD 850 TO 1200 FOR 1BHK this could differ from place to place.
The one I took is bang next to Citi centre in Brampton 6 Maple Towers it’s a 1BHK with a small additional bedroom very specious and the best thing is its close to the bus stand malls banks etc in the surrounding since initially I would need to commute by Bus and for groceries and other stuff it would be very easy.
Please note that for Apts here there is a 1-year lease with 1st and last month rent paid in advance.

Regards,

PM48633

samin

Jan 28, 2010
PM48633 said:
Hi,

The procedure was smooth following are the details

Filled up the Landing form which gives the details of custom rules
1. Landed and proceeded to Immigration counter where in the officer stamped our passports he filled up the COPR forms and we signed it a copy was attached to the passport and we were welcomed to Canada we were told that the PR cards would arrive in3 to 4 weeks.
2. We then proceeded to the Welcome Canada counter where we were given some pamphlets and books and a bag with regards to settling in Canada.
3. We then collected our luggages please note keep change 2 CAD per trolley which can get you the trolleys You could also hire a porter who charges you CAD 10 plus CAD 2 for each trolley. Which can be avoided, as the trolleys are quite good to handle.
4. We then proceeded to customs and the officer checked our passports and asked us for the goods to be followed and the goods carried along list.
5. He also wanted the photograph of Gold and Jewelry which if mentioned in the goods to follow list not much concerned about the Goods carried along..
6. He stamped the Goods to follow list and give us a print out of the value of Goods to followed printed on it also details were mentioned on the COPR which was attached to the passport .we were instructed to keep the COPR form and the printed custom form and the goods to follow list with us when we bring the goods to follow.
7. Landed in Brampton at a relatives place.
8. It is very useful to have some one in Canada to take you around.
9. Next morning went to get my SIN (Social Insurance) and received a temp SIN number for self and family and were informed that the SIN cards would come in a couple of weeks.
10. Next went to the Bank TD trust bank had carried the funds for 3 in Travelers cheques and around thousand CAD in cash. Opened a account with the bank which was a checking account where there is no interest and a tax free Savings account for Self and my spouse (The Tax free savings account allows a person to save max CAD 5000 where in you do not pay tax on the interest however you could move the funds to your checking account when you want the funds but can only deposit them in the Tax free savings account once a year)
11. Got a unsecured VISA credit card for CAD 500 since I had a Job letter with our relatives Dealership business.
12. Wife was given a CAD 500 secured visa, which is secured against your funds in your account.
13. Always advisable to start building your credit history by using your credit cards wisely and paying by due date. The more you build your credit and use it wisely it is advisable as it would help you build up your credit points and would help you in taking your mortgage early.
14. Avoid applying for credit cards left right and center as every time you get rejected it reflects on your credit history unlike in India.as the co issuing the card would pull up our credit history which we do not have and for every credit history check we loose points. Hence avoid.
15. Next went in for a phone connection Post paid Bell Solo connection for 45CAD which gives 400 minutes talk time (Free from 6:00 PM to 8:00AM). Additional 10 CAD for free incoming 6 CAD for Caller ID.
16. There are various schemes for International dialing to India I got a scheme where in with CAD 10 I can speak for 10 Hrs any time of the day excluding Air time hence better to call during the free time (Free from 6:00 PM to 8:00AM).
17. Next checked out a Apt near Citi center in Brampton where in we applied for a 1 year lease with 1st and last cheque as advance.1BHK with den is around CAD 1055 and 2 BHK with den is around 1175.Awaiting confirmation as the larger Apts do a check on your credit history before confirming
18. Continued for the Job search (Please note you would need to modify your Resume to apply jobs in Canada refer www.settlement.org
19. Please note you would start receiving call once you have a Canadian Address and a Canadian contact number on your resume.(I received calls on my cell and the C/O residence number.
20. Scheduled for an interview today with a financial company as per my profile. Looking forward to getting selected.
This was my experience in Canada post landing on the 25th till today 29th April.
Do contact me in case any one has any queries that I could be of any help.

Regards,
Pm48633
Thanks for your nice information can you please inform as I am not bringing any goods later on which form should I keep ready while I am Landing