Jul 13, 2015
USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
20-08-2016
Hi Folks,

I know there is thread for landing however, I could not find it so sharing my experience here.

Landed through Detroit-Windsor tunnel, Wait time almost zero, Toll - $5,
@ Passport control - It is toll collection type of setting except the fact that they are immigration control guys, checked are passports, checked the number of occupant, asked whether I was importing any alcohol or tobacco, gave a yellow slip told to park the car in a nearby parking structure
@ Custom - The moment I parked 2 officers came out, we parked, gave them the yellow slip, took a quick look inside the car (may be because I was with my family, so they did not pay any attention). Conversation went something like this:
First question are you importing the car, I said no
Do you have the title, I am leasing so I told them no
Well then you can't take the car in Canada you have to import it, I said I am not doing it today
He mentioned the only way for me to get in Canada was to put the car on the GTF list and post that I don't import they don't care. So I did that
they then sent me inside a building where actual Immigration counters were located
@ Immigration counter -
Zero wait time, got called by a cute lady officer who was tough in the beginning but opened up during the conversation
Gave them COPR and passports, she filled it and we signed it
How long will you stay - For few days now, as soon as I get a job I will move permanently
Do you have a canadian address - I do
Whose address is that - that's my temp address
I did not fill the B4 correctly, it seems it used for GTA list and if you have GTF list then u need both B4 and B4A. However on B4 you don't write anything just check the GTF box and provide actual description in B4A. I had created an excel sheet and she was fine with it. We had taken jewelry pics, however she did not care about those just looked at them got excited to see Jewelry, well I am Indian so you know what I am talking about
She mentioned that PR cards will be sent to the Canadian address in 6 weeks
I praised their Immigration system which in fact is better than US and complained about few things which they can be better at, she gracefully acknowledged
Welcomed us a new PR of canada and then we left the place

Misc:
You can travel on COPR by road till your PR cards arrive
I was hoping that SIN application will happen at landing but she did not initiate it and I completely forgot about it

Very nice overall experience, they did have some grumpy looking officers but mine was great

Back to US:
Took Bluewater bridge, about 45 mins wait time for the whole process
You gotta pay toll first then your car queues up for immigration, officer was alright, was asked couple of questions
What the purpose of your trip to Canada - To complete PR landing process
Anything to declare? - Nothing
Okay that's it

Best Of Luck folks

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Congrats.

ggupta83 said:
I was hoping that SIN application will happen at landing but she did not initiate it and I completely forgot about it
The SIN application is done by Service Canada, not the CBSA officer, and there usually isn't one at a land border.

ggupta83

Jul 13, 2015
USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
20-08-2016
bellaluna said:
Congrats.

The SIN application is done by Service Canada, not the CBSA officer, and there usually isn't one at a land border.
Cool thanks

panga005

Aug 7, 2017
Hi Folks,

I know there is thread for landing however, I could not find it so sharing my experience here.

Landed through Detroit-Windsor tunnel, Wait time almost zero, Toll - $5,
@ Passport control - It is toll collection type of setting except the fact that they are immigration control guys, checked are passports, checked the number of occupant, asked whether I was importing any alcohol or tobacco, gave a yellow slip told to park the car in a nearby parking structure
@ Custom - The moment I parked 2 officers came out, we parked, gave them the yellow slip, took a quick look inside the car (may be because I was with my family, so they did not pay any attention). Conversation went something like this:
First question are you importing the car, I said no
Do you have the title, I am leasing so I told them no
Well then you can't take the car in Canada you have to import it, I said I am not doing it today
He mentioned the only way for me to get in Canada was to put the car on the GTF list and post that I don't import they don't care. So I did that
they then sent me inside a building where actual Immigration counters were located
@ Immigration counter -
Zero wait time, got called by a cute lady officer who was tough in the beginning but opened up during the conversation
Gave them COPR and passports, she filled it and we signed it
How long will you stay - For few days now, as soon as I get a job I will move permanently
Do you have a canadian address - I do
Whose address is that - that's my temp address
I did not fill the B4 correctly, it seems it used for GTA list and if you have GTF list then u need both B4 and B4A. However on B4 you don't write anything just check the GTF box and provide actual description in B4A. I had created an excel sheet and she was fine with it. We had taken jewelry pics, however she did not care about those just looked at them got excited to see Jewelry, well I am Indian so you know what I am talking about
She mentioned that PR cards will be sent to the Canadian address in 6 weeks
I praised their Immigration system which in fact is better than US and complained about few things which they can be better at, she gracefully acknowledged
Welcomed us a new PR of canada and then we left the place

Misc:
You can travel on COPR by road till your PR cards arrive

Very nice overall experience, they did have some grumpy looking officers but mine was great

Back to US:
Took Bluewater bridge, about 45 mins wait time for the whole process
You gotta pay toll first then your car queues up for immigration, officer was alright, was asked couple of questions
What the purpose of your trip to Canada - To complete PR landing process
Anything to declare? - Nothing
Okay that's it

Best Of Luck folks
Hi, I am planning to enter Canada from USA through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel this month. I am moving permanently to Canada.

Are the immigration counters for both USA and Canada located at the same site ??

Did you move to Canada ?? If yes, Did you move your car with you?

Sim23Can

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-09-2017
Thanks for the information. Today we did landing formalities at Windsor Canada Border. The lady officer did not process our PR card application as we are not staying in Canada for now. Asked to apply for it once we have our address in Canada.
Now question here is, if we don not get the PR card application processed first time, when should we apply for PR card? How? from where?

DS895

Star Member
Jun 12, 2018
Hi guys,

I landed thru DTW - Windsor tunnel, i have rented a car and went thru the tunnel. It was an overall a pleasant experience.

Drove to the booth and IO asked bunch of regular question, what's the purpose of visit? How much cash? Goods i am accompanying? Rental car or your car? Then he gave yellow slip and asked us to go inside the building.
Went inside the building there were 5-6 IO standing, one of them asked us what's going on. We went to that person and told him we are here to confirm our PR. He looked at the document and then asked are you staying or going back. I said i will stay 2 weeks and then he asked for the address in Canada and other documents, form B4 and B4A. And then asked us to take a seat till he enters information in system. In meanwhile we used restrooms and then back to our seats waited for 25 mins.
Then IO officer called us and asked us to sign COPR and B4 and B4A. Then we waited for another 5 minutes he said all set and told us to keep COPR signed letter safe and he stapled that to our passports. Said you can travel with this COPR letter and passport via land border into Canada.
Told you will receive the PR card in 4-7 weeks in mail.

Cheers!!

ankusaxe9

Jan 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi, I am planning to enter Canada from USA through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel this month. I am moving permanently to Canada.

Are the immigration counters for both USA and Canada located at the same site ??

Did you move to Canada ?? If yes, Did you move your car with you?
Hi Panga005,

I am planning to move Canada through Detroit-Windsor route and has following questions. Any help will be much appreciated.-
1. Which one is better route - Ambassador bridge or Windsor tunnel? Any pros-cons
2. I have expired visa on passport but have extension approved (I-797) till 2021. I saw in your post that you had similar situation. Were you able to get back to US without valid stamping on passport? If yes, Did immigration officers pose any questions?
3. Do they issue PR cards if we are giving friend's address. If not, can we enter Canada later through car without having PR cards?
4. We have two kids. If we take kids along with us in soft landing, will that be a problem? Do they have proper waiting ares where kids can sit and relax?
5. I am still debating on Soft vs Hard landing and haven't decided yet. In case of hard landing, I will be having a UHaul truck along with my car. My wife is primary applicant and will be driving car. Will it be a problem during immigration as we will be in separate vehicles?