Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
8-March 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-Sept-2012 (PPR 1) 26th Oct 2012( PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
7th Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Feb-March 2013 INSHALLAH
9jcanada said:
Basement units are usually below the ground floor level. They vary in sizes and designs from house to house depending on how well developed they are. Some have been purposely built for rental and these types tend to have their own separate access/doors, and utilities: kitchen b/rooms etc completely independent of the main floors. Some basement units share utilities with the main floors and may have entrance/access via the main floor.

Hope this helps.

9j
Thanks for the info 9j:)

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Harri said:
Dear Forum members I am copying a news item from a Canadian newspaper Calgary Herald regarding the fradulant advertisement for rental properties on a popular free advertisement hosting website Kijiji. With this I dont mean that all are fake advertisers on this site, but becareful that scams do happen
The RCMP has issued a warning about a house and condo rental scam in Canmore.

Cpl. Darleen White with the Canmore RCMP said the detachment has received four complaints in the last few weeks about fraudulent residences for rent in the town. Two investigations have been launched.

“Canmore is a prime spot for holidays,” White said. “We just noticed it this month so I'm assuming it's geared toward the holiday season.”

She said the culprits posted ads on the classifieds website Kijiji advertising houses or condos for rent, with all money transactions completed through e-mail.

The victims were advised that 24 hours before their arrival, they would receive a pin code to enter the property.

But in one case, after thousands of dollars was transferred, all correspondence halted before a pin code could be sent.

In the second case investigated by RCMP, the would-be renter alerted RCMP before sending any funds.

None of the condos or homes being advertised are actually up for rent, White said.

“Be cautious when purchasing anything online,” she said. “And confirm that they (the people or businesses) are authentic.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/RCMP+warns+Canmore+condo+rental+scam+Kijiji/7716736/story.html#ixzz2FUblqsNy
We got our current rental from Kijiji. My husband paid the deposit in cash and I about killed him. I was so afraid we would get scammed! But things worked out well and we've been here for a year! :)

So........do not give deposits in cash! Write a check. It may take time to clear, but at least you have protection if it's a scam.

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some of the credit card companies usually give free credit card cheque. You can use that cheque for your deposit but don't forget to pay your credit card account on the same date you issue the cheque. Otherwise, credit card company will charge you more than 20% interest rate for that amount.

You can dispute that transaction with you credit card company if something happens down the road and you are protected by Credit card consumer protection rights.

amikety said:
We got our current rental from Kijiji. My husband paid the deposit in cash and I about killed him. I was so afraid we would get scammed! But things worked out well and we've been here for a year! :)

So........do not give deposits in cash! Write a check. It may take time to clear, but at least you have protection if it's a scam.

9jcanada

Champion Member
Oct 16, 2010
Calgary Alberta
App. Filed.......
12/01/2011
AOR Received.
10/06/2011
Med's Request
09/02/2012
Med's Done....
14/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
04/05/2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
scorpion_ca said:
Some of the credit card companies usually give free credit card cheque. You can use that cheque for your deposit but don't forget to pay your credit card account on the same date you issue the cheque. Otherwise, credit card company will charge you more than 20% interest rate for that amount.

You can dispute that transaction with you credit card company if something happens down the road and you are protected by Credit card consumer protection rights.
I might be wrong, but aren't credit card cheques treated as cash advance? To the best of my knowledge, interests on these types of transaction are charged from the date of the transaction, so they may not be the most efficient way to make down payments. With the usual payment with the credit card, you have up to 50 days interest free days after the purchase. It is prudent to try and pay off the balance within this period if one can.

9j

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you are right. That's why, I clearly mentioned on my previous post that pay your credit card account on the same date you issue the cheque. Otherwise, credit card company will charge you more than 20% interest rate for that amount.

9jcanada said:
I might be wrong, but aren't credit card cheques treated as cash advance? To the best of my knowledge, interests on these types of transaction are charged from the date of the transaction, so they may not be the most efficient way to make down payments. With the usual payment with the credit card, you have up to 50 days interest free days after the purchase. It is prudent to try and pay off the balance within this period if one can.

9j

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
scorpion_ca said:
Yes, you are right. That's why, I clearly mentioned on my previous post that pay your credit card account on the same date you issue the cheque. Otherwise, credit card company will charge you more than 20% interest rate for that amount.
Most of them cash advance fees too.

It's a well kept secret, but banks can collect on checks already cashed and get your money back. Convincing the bank to do it is a little tough and you need to have documentation above and beyond a credit card dispute.

Same goes for cashiers check. Your best defender here is to have a good relationship with your bank.

The best advice I can give is to only deal in person and never put money down on a place you haven't seen (unless working with a reputable builder). If you're still worried, deal with a property management company instead of an individual.

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@amikety - you need one more post to become a elite member of 1000 posts... ;D :D

amikety said:
Most of them cash advance fees too.

It's a well kept secret, but banks can collect on checks already cashed and get your money back. Convincing the bank to do it is a little tough and you need to have documentation above and beyond a credit card dispute.

Same goes for cashiers check. Your best defender here is to have a good relationship with your bank.

The best advice I can give is to only deal in person and never put money down on a place you haven't seen (unless working with a reputable builder). If you're still worried, deal with a property management company instead of an individual.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
scorpion_ca said:
@ amikety - you need one more post to become a elite member of 1000 posts... ;D :D
I'll use that mythical post to give you a +1! :)

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
9jcanada said:

9j
Yes CC cheque treated like cash advance and inoccour around 2-5$ cash adv fee plus intrest from first day .

One more thing , here in Ca if you got 500$ balance on your CC then you get 50$ cash advance.
They will keep charging you cash advance intrest on $50 even if you pay $499 same day.

Means they will work out intrest in bottom up calculation. All payment they will allocate to cc balance which got lowest intrest then once you paid all money on low intrest balance then they will allocate payment to high intrest cash advance balance.

We use to have same in UK few year ago but now in uk they reduce your high intrest balance first unlike Ca.

Now one more think i like to share regarding my PR card photos :
Its something depend upon person issuing pr card.
Our photo requested during time of PR / COPR issue.
We went to prof photographer paid £15 each for set of photo (4 pic) as asked in letter by CIC.

Size etc is perfect 35-45 mm with 25-30 face size.
Got COPR in same.
But when landed ,
My pic got rejected after 6-7 week.

I then go to photographer and paid 16.99$ each for a set of 2 photo.
Only diff is he stamped with hos shop name and date at back.

Its ridicules which cost us approx $50 and time waste .

manila07

Star Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Doc's Request.
October 2010
AOR Received.
March 2011
Med's Request
March 2012
Med's Done....
May 2012
Passport Req..
July 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 2012
Hi! We already have our visa and we will land in Calgary by March 29. I am a registered nurse in the Philippines and would like to be an RPN or LPN in Calgary 1st while working on my RN licence. Anyone here with the same experience that can assist me or tutor me on what to do.

thanks!!

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Dear 111 and amartahir , you can call me tonnite I am waiting. Or call me tomorrow after 5.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
manila07 said:
Hi! We already have our visa and we will land in Calgary by March 29. I am a registered nurse in the Philippines and would like to be an RPN or LPN in Calgary 1st while working on my RN licence. Anyone here with the same experience that can assist me or tutor me on what to do.

thanks!!
Have you contacted any schools about the Bridge program. Mount Royal offers one, although their staff is rude and doesn't respond to emails quickly.

Their instructors should know if you can work as a LPN - you have a 4 year degree I hope. 2 year degrees aren't valid for nursing in Canada (we have that in the USA).

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Any one using Majic jack or nettalk.
I want to know how much data it cost to use them .
Plz reply

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Aquib said:
Any one using Majic jack or nettalk.
I want to know how much data it cost to use them .
Plz reply
I use Google talk (telephone call program) and the bandwidth use is minimal. I don't use it probably as much as you would because I hate talking on the phone - I'm a weirdo. Earlier we discussed bandwidth and I believe you'll be well within your usage with any VOIP as long as you aren't using serious bandwidth in other areas (downloading hundreds upon hundreds of movies or hosting sites).

My husband downloads a lot too and watches TV/movies online and plays online games and we barely crack 30 in a busy month.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
amikety said:
I use Google talk (telephone call program) and the bandwidth use is minimal. I don't use it probably as much as you would because I hate talking on the phone - I'm a weirdo. Earlier we discussed bandwidth and I believe you'll be well within your usage with any VOIP as long as you aren't using serious bandwidth in other areas (downloading hundreds upon hundreds of movies or hosting sites).

My husband downloads a lot too and watches TV/movies online and plays online games and we barely crack 30 in a busy month.
I have taken telus 500GB for 30$ a month connection,
Hope it will be enough, been told that if you watch 3 hours daily prog on Netflix (on HD TV) it will consume 8GB-10GB So that will be approx 250 GB and remaining 250 GB should be fine with my all other stuff.
Lets see after first month, I really surprise that's you just doing fine with 30GB even after watching movie, VOIP calls and some downloading .