+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience At the Port of Entry-What is the Process?

showell

Aug 17, 2009
Hello everyone,

My PR is finally approved and I'm landing in Montreal on December 15. Other than Confirmation of Permanent Residence Form & of coz the visa is there any other forms or documents I need to bring along to clear off the immigration line upon arrival. I'm both excited and nervous, the process has finally come to an end and I'm going to start a brand new life with my other half.

Please share with me your landing experiences as I'm half way tru packing the luggage for the departure. I need to be prepared for smooth landing. Many thanks guys..

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you a Quebec-selectee then? Make sure you bring your CSQ. While they didn't ask for it in my case, some people have been asked to show their birth certificate, so bring that as well.

don_c

Nov 20, 2008
If you are carrying cash, be prepared for counting and be sure it's complete. They may count it. Aside this, it's normally a seemless process. Good luck.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Go to immigration where you will have to answer a few questions and sign some documents. Then, you will need to declare your belongings with customs; both what you are carrying at landing and any goods to follow (see form on link). You will also have to approximate the value of your goods. Then you'll go to the cashier and get a receipt.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4a/b4a-05b.pdf

showell

Aug 17, 2009
Karlshammar, yes I applied for Quebec. Do they require original CSQ or photocopy? The original is with my sponsor in Montreal, I thought it was not necessary to mail it to me since I'm going there to live with him. How was your experience at the port of entry? They put u tru with more questions or it was an easy process?

AllisonVSC, I'm not very clear about goods to declare. If I'm only carrying personal belongings such as clothes & shoes and a notebook I suppose that does not require declaration?

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
AllisonVSC , is this procedure only in Quebec, I mean about the receipt? this is the first time I hear about it, I landed in Toronto in july, and in te custom, they didn't even look at my prepared list of goods accompagnying...even he he didn't look at me, he took the declaration card that we fill in the airplane and wave me his hand to go... that is it...

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
The cic website lists what you can and can not bring to Canada. When you move to Canada from another country, you may bring your personal and household goods with you without paying duty (taxes). I suppose if you are only bringing a suitcase or two, there may be no need for the forms. When I landed I was already in Canada so I drove to Buffalo to submit my passport and came back. My belongings including a house full of furniture and a car all need to be brought to Canada. If not declared when I landed, I would be required to pay tax when I crossed the border with them. The form I submitted at landing and the receipt I received from customs will be presented when I cross the border next time with my "stuff."

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was not a Quebec-selectee, but you can read about my landing experience here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t28554.0.html

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
What is the Confirmation of Permanent Residence form, please? I've not seen it in the application forms. Is it something the Visa Office will send me?

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
What is the Confirmation of Permanent Residence form, please? I've not seen it in the application forms. Is it something the Visa Office will send me?
Yes Toby. Once the PR applicant is approved and asked for their passport, a one time visa is affixed. Along with that is a Confirmation of Permanent Residence. This has all relevent details (such as immigrant class, sponsor, education, etc) plus a photo of the PR applicant.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you have landed you will then receive a copy of the COPR to prove your status until your PR card arrives. (The COPR copy you receive after landing will not have a photo)

showell

Aug 17, 2009
Guys as I'm landing on Dec 16 at Montreal Airport, I've prepared a list of landing documents, as follow:-

1) CPOR
2) Passport with Visa
3) Address + contact number in Montreal (for mailing of PR card)
3) Copy of CSQ
4) Birth Certificate
5) Personal Effects From-List of Goods

This is all I could think. Guys tell me if I'm missing anything important here. Any yeah I suppose I don't have to show proof of settlement funds, right? I believe this is not required under Family Class as this was not mentioned at the time of application. From what I understand, I have to briefly tell them how much cash I'm carrying and declare if it is more than $10,000?

Greatly appreciate your advice. I'm pretty nervous about the landing process.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You seem to have all the documents. I'm not sure if proof of funds is required for Quebec spousal applicants. I know that it is not required for federal spousal applicants.

Don't worry, it's nothing to be nervous about. For most people it is a quick and pleasant process. For those for whom it is not it still becomes pleasant once they are PRs. :)

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
you will have to declare all the funds that exceed $10 000 you have with you.
being a sponsored spouse you don't need any proof of funds.
to say from my experience I was asked just for my passport and COPR, nothing else. COPR contains all the information they require.
have a good luck and safest landing! :)