+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience 2011. PR Cards Received.

El Toro

May 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Dear Forum Members,

This being my maiden post, I would first like to express my heartfelt thanks for all your generous contributions and experiences. I have read through many of your detailed posts over the last few weeks. God bless each of you.

Having landed in Toronto recently, I would like to share my experience with you all:

Background:
• Applied as FSW about 22 months ago to the CHC in London
• Completed our medicals & final PCC in October 2010, and received PPR in Jan 2011
• Got COPR & passports back in Feb 2011.
• Flew in March.

Flight:
• About an hour before landing, disembarkation forms were handed out. I noted our local Canadian address, and also ticked the money declaration box.
• Local weather was clear, and landing was smooth.

Arriving at Pearson International Airport:
• Got off the plane and basically followed the crowd. We reached a very large room that had a massive zigzagging queue of passengers making their way to the lines in front of the Passport Control desks. I, for one, appreciated the mini walkathon after such a long flight.
• At Passport Control, I handed the Disembarkation card and our Passports over to the Officer. I informed her that we were doing our first landing. She welcomed us to Canada, scanned our visas and completed the official portions of the Disembarkation card. We were then directed to the Immigration section.

Immigration Counter:
• There were about 15 to 20 people already in line, and more joined after us.
• As we moved closer, we could see and hear some passengers getting quizzed about different things at some of the counters. This was a little daunting, but we quickly realized that these were people trying to get back into Canada – not first-timers. Example: One person was on refugee status trying to return, some were students, etc.
• Made it to the counter and handed over our COPR & Passports. Was asked how long I would be staying at the Canadian address provided, and I said ‘Permanently’. The Officer then proceeded to fill in the address, and other portions of the form. We were asked to sign in different places. The Officer explained that our PR Cards would be mailed to the address provided in 4-6 weeks.
• After collecting some brochures and pamphlets at two ‘New Comer’ desks, we proceeded to the luggage area.

Baggage collection:
• Took the escalator down to the luggage carousel associated with our flight.
• I had made it a point to carry smaller Dollar bills. I inserted CAD 5/- into the machine and got change for a luggage cart.
• Collected our luggage, and started moving towards the exit area.

CBSA:
• I saw two Officers at a counter just before the exit door. I informed them that we doing our first landing, and had goods to follow. They first welcomed us to Canada, and then directed us to the CBSA queues on the right.
• Again, had about 15 people in front of us. Several people were asked to scan their bags, and many had to actually open it up for the Officers to inspect goods.
• We finally made it to one of the counters, but were not asked to open anything.
• Thanks to members on this forum, such as Qorax, who have written extensively on the ‘Goods Accompanying / Goods To Follow’ lists, we had absolutely no issues at all.
• The Officer took down our address details. He then asked me to sign both copies of the GTF list and stamped every single sheet, including pictures of jewelry. I offered the ‘Goods Accompanying’ lists also, but he said it was not required.
• He then directed me to the Cashier.
• In the few seconds we took to walk there, the lady behind the counter had already printed out our paperwork. She just asked for my full name, and then attached this document to our stamped GTF list. It basically shows that these goods have a $ 0.00 tax value.

Airport Exit:
WE THANKED GOD FOR ALL HIS BLESSINGS, and pushed our trolley out of the exit doors.

SIN Card:
• Two days later, went to the nearest Services Canada office.
• The lady at the counter looked at our COPR & Passports, took down our names and asked us to sit in the waiting area. In 10 minutes, we were called in to a cubicle by one of the staff.
• He double-checked our documents, and then entered some details into the system for each of us.
• About 10 minutes later we were given letters baring our SIN card numbers. (The actual cards were mailed in about 12 days)

Bank Account:
• We had pre-booked an appointment on the same day with an Account Manager at a local bank.
• This ensured that a few hours after getting our SIN numbers, our bank account was also created.
• Credit Card setup was also initiated the same day.

PR Cards*:
• Received by mail in 34 working days.

*Note: I know that recently some forum members have had trouble with their photographs, due to a change in head-size specifications. I want to state very clearly that the photographs on our COPR were based on the ‘old’ size of 31mm-36mm from chin to crown. This was in accordance with the requirements sent to us by the CHC in London (in Jan 2011). I did not submit new photographs at the airport because I only read about the change in photo specs after we landed in March.

We just kept praying that our PR Cards would be processed and issued perfectly, and praise GOD that it was.

Pk09

Jul 26, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
El Toro said:

Dear Forum Members,

This being my maiden post, I would first like to express my heartfelt thanks for all your generous contributions and experiences. I have read through many of your detailed posts over the last few weeks. God bless each of you.

Having landed in Toronto recently, I would like to share my experience with you all:

Background:
• Applied as FSW about 22 months ago to the CHC in London
• Completed our medicals & final PCC in October 2010, and received PPR in Jan 2011
• Got COPR & passports back in Feb 2011.
• Flew in March.

Flight:
• About an hour before landing, disembarkation forms were handed out. I noted our local Canadian address, and also ticked the money declaration box.
• Local weather was clear, and landing was smooth.

Arriving at Pearson International Airport:
• Got off the plane and basically followed the crowd. We reached a very large room that had a massive zigzagging queue of passengers making their way to the lines in front of the Passport Control desks. I, for one, appreciated the mini walkathon after such a long flight.
• At Passport Control, I handed the Disembarkation card and our Passports over to the Officer. I informed her that we were doing our first landing. She welcomed us to Canada, scanned our visas and completed the official portions of the Disembarkation card. We were then directed to the Immigration section.

Immigration Counter:
• There were about 15 to 20 people already in line, and more joined after us.
• As we moved closer, we could see and hear some passengers getting quizzed about different things at some of the counters. This was a little daunting, but we quickly realized that these were people trying to get back into Canada – not first-timers. Example: One person was on refugee status trying to return, some were students, etc.
• Made it to the counter and handed over our COPR & Passports. Was asked how long I would be staying at the Canadian address provided, and I said ‘Permanently'. The Officer then proceeded to fill in the address, and other portions of the form. We were asked to sign in different places. The Officer explained that our PR Cards would be mailed to the address provided in 4-6 weeks.
• After collecting some brochures and pamphlets at two ‘New Comer' desks, we proceeded to the luggage area.

Baggage collection:
• Took the escalator down to the luggage carousel associated with our flight.
• I had made it a point to carry smaller Dollar bills. I inserted CAD 5/- into the machine and got change for a luggage cart.
• Collected our luggage, and started moving towards the exit area.

CBSA:
• I saw two Officers at a counter just before the exit door. I informed them that we doing our first landing, and had goods to follow. They first welcomed us to Canada, and then directed us to the CBSA queues on the right.
• Again, had about 15 people in front of us. Several people were asked to scan their bags, and many had to actually open it up for the Officers to inspect goods.
• We finally made it to one of the counters, but were not asked to open anything.
• Thanks to members on this forum, such as Qorax, who have written extensively on the ‘Goods Accompanying / Goods To Follow' lists, we had absolutely no issues at all.
• The Officer took down our address details. He then asked me to sign both copies of the GTF list and stamped every single sheet, including pictures of jewelry. I offered the ‘Goods Accompanying' lists also, but he said it was not required.
• He then directed me to the Cashier.
• In the few seconds we took to walk there, the lady behind the counter had already printed out our paperwork. She just asked for my full name, and then attached this document to our stamped GTF list. It basically shows that these goods have a $ 0.00 tax value.

Airport Exit:
WE THANKED GOD FOR ALL HIS BLESSINGS, and pushed our trolley out of the exit doors.

SIN Card:
• Two days later, went to the nearest Services Canada office.
• The lady at the counter looked at our COPR & Passports, took down our names and asked us to sit in the waiting area. In 10 minutes, we were called in to a cubicle by one of the staff.
• He double-checked our documents, and then entered some details into the system for each of us.
• About 10 minutes later we were given letters baring our SIN card numbers. (The actual cards were mailed in about 12 days)

Bank Account:
• We had pre-booked an appointment on the same day with an Account Manager at a local bank.
• This ensured that a few hours after getting our SIN numbers, our bank account was also created.
• Credit Card setup was also initiated the same day.

PR Cards*:

*Note: I know that recently some forum members have had trouble with their photographs, due to a change in head-size specifications. I want to state very clearly that the photographs on our COPR were based on the ‘old' size of 31mm-36mm from chin to crown. This was in accordance with the requirements sent to us by the CHC in London (in Jan 2011). I did not submit new photographs at the airport because I only read about the change in photo specs after we landed in March.

We just kept praying that our PR Cards would be processed and issued perfectly, and praise GOD that it was.

Very informative and attention is given to even minute details. Thank you and Allah bless you

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
El Toro said:
PR Cards*:

*Note: I know that recently some forum members have had trouble with their photographs, due to a change in head-size specifications. I want to state very clearly that the photographs on our COPR were based on the ‘old' size of 31mm-36mm from chin to crown. This was in accordance with the requirements sent to us by the CHC in London (in Jan 2011). I did not submit new photographs at the airport because I only read about the change in photo specs after we landed in March.
Thanks for a very nice illustration of landing experiences...Very useful for the followers. Its also good to know unlike some you didn't have trouble in receiving your PR card just in time...
Just few queries..
Did you pre settle any permanent address which you mentioned in COPR and PR card? Why did you said that you will live on that address permanently (as most of the first landers use a temp/friends address to use in COPR/PR card)... Any particular reason for mentioning the address to be your permanent? (I guess thats one of the reason you get your PR card very early)

Do you know the new change in head-size specification for the photo for the COPR/PR card?

Thanks for your time and all the very best for your CANADIAN stay and success

El Toro

May 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fariza: "Why did you said that you will live on that address permanently (as most of the first landers use a temp/friends address to use in COPR/PR card)... Any particular reason for mentioning the address to be your permanent? (I guess thats one of the reason you get your PR card very early)

In my humble opinion, if the Immigration Officer asks pointblank like that, it is advisable to demonstrate to him/her that you intend to stay permanently in Canada. Even if we use a friend’s address to get our PR cards, we mustn’t sound unsure or provide any reason for the IO to be concerned.

- Do you know the new change in head-size specification for the photo for the COPR/PR card?

The CIC website has up-to-date information. Here’s an excerpt from the Photo spec page:
Photos must measure between 25 mm and 30 mm (1” and 1 1/5”) from chin to crown (top of hair); have a 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″) finished size.

- Thanks for your time and all the very best for your CANADIAN stay and success"

Thank you for your warm sentiments.

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
El Toro said:
In my humble opinion, if the Immigration Officer asks pointblank like that, it is advisable to demonstrate to him/her that you intend to stay permanently in Canada. Even if we use a friend's address to get our PR cards, we mustn't sound unsure or provide any reason for the IO to be concerned.

The CIC website has up-to-date information. Here's an excerpt from the Photo spec page:
Photos must measure between 25 mm and 30 mm (1” and 1 1/5”) from chin to crown (top of hair); have a 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″) finished size.
Very logical suggestion. Fair enough. Thanks for your response. Take care

Victory

Star Member
Sep 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
March 09, 2011
Med's Done....
VO Received April 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 25, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 22, 2011
LANDED..........
Soon
Thanks so much for helpful informations.

Hope to get more sharing from you.

Bless you~ :-*

ajis

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
London
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
PER - 04.05.2011
File Transfer...
File transfer: 2.05.2011& inprocess on 07.06.2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
26.04.2013 & medicals received line appears in E cas on 27.05.2013
Interview........
Waved and decision made in E cas on 13.06.2013
Passport Req..
31.05.2013 & Passport submitted on 06.06.2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Do they send the PR card to the address or has to be collected from the office by person...because it i difficult for me to get leave for five week period...

El Toro

May 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ajis said:
Do they send the PR card to the address or has to be collected from the office by person...because it i difficult for me to get leave for five week period...

To the best of my knowledge, PR Cards cannot be collected in person. They are mailed to the address that you provide the Immigration Officer when you land.

With regards to your dilemma, if you really must leave then you could use a friend’s Canadian address. Once they receive your card in 5-7 weeks, ask them to courier it to you in your country of work. However, this is risky and not recommended. There is a chance that the courier could get lost/damaged in transit.

Another point of concern is if, for any reason, you are requested to resubmit photographs, you will have to be there to submit them in person. This will complicate things, and probably delay the entire process. There are members of this forum who have had such trouble with their cards or their dependant’s cards.

Is it a risk worth taking? Please consider the points above before making your decision.

medhansh12345

Feb 5, 2011
Congratulations for receiving the PR without any issues.

I landed in Toronto on March 14th and haven't yet received PR Cards. Also I didn't even got any mail regarding the photo specifications not matching and I ma still waiting for PR Cards. Hopefully everything will be fine.

Could you pls share when did you land in Toronto and so I can think of the expected time lines for my PR CARD?

Thanks once again.