+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing - exiting and re-entering at Port of Entry - "status in Canada" question

katniss

Sep 15, 2011
Hello,

My spouse and I will be heading to a border/port of entry to complete the official landing process (COPR received for Spousal Sponsorship category). I have been in Canada for about 6 years now; my most recent (and current) status document is a closed (employer-specific) WP. However, soon after the LMO and WP process were concluded, the offer fell through and the company no longer needed me.

I understand that the valid WP gives me status in the country and that not working for the company has no bearing on the status; however I am just curious - under Family Class applications, upon entering the Canadian side, would the officer/s question me about my recent/current (prior to PR) status? If yes, then would I voluntarily state the employment situation, or is showing them the WP enough (and basically "not speaking unless spoken to/asked")? Some advisors have suggested showing them the WP but also clarifying that I am not working. But I just don't want any unnecessary complications. Personally, I don't believe WPs etc matter for Family Class apps - but please correct me if I am wrong, and/or please provide any additional information you might have.

I would really appreciate any inputs!

Thank you very much!

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
katniss said:
Hello,

My spouse and I will be heading to a border/port of entry to complete the official landing process (COPR received for Spousal Sponsorship category). I have been in Canada for about 6 years now; my most recent (and current) status document is a closed (employer-specific) WP. However, soon after the LMO and WP process were concluded, the offer fell through and the company no longer needed me.

I understand that the valid WP gives me status in the country and that not working for the company has no bearing on the status; however I am just curious - under Family Class applications, upon entering the Canadian side, would the officer/s question me about my recent/current (prior to PR) status? If yes, then would I voluntarily state the employment situation, or is showing them the WP enough (and basically "not speaking unless spoken to/asked")? Some advisors have suggested showing them the WP but also clarifying that I am not working. But I just don't want any unnecessary complications. Personally, I don't believe WPs etc matter for Family Class apps - but please correct me if I am wrong, and/or please provide any additional information you might have.

I would really appreciate any inputs!

Thank you very much!
I'd prefer to let someone else answer the question you asked, because I don't know offhand what happens to your status under an employer-specific work permit when your job ends.

However, if the answer is that you're still here legally, please make sure that "original date of entry" into Canada is entered correctly onto your COPR by the officer who "lands" you. If necessary, bring evidence that you've been in Canada legally for six years.

This will be useful down the line for naturalization, and possibly also for OAS and other things where you need to prove residence in Canada for a certain number of years.

For those answering your question, it would be helpful if you clarified whether you were applying inland or "outland." Based on what you've written, it would seem it was outland.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Am pretty sure they won't ask, but it sounds as though your WP is still valid anyway, so you are VERY fine. I agree though, answer what they ask you. Don't ramble on unnecessarily.

There is a maximum of time 'spent in Canada' that will or can eventually count towards citizenship so don't worry about the "six" years. Each day only counts as half a day and the maximum you can get credit for before PR is 'one year' (after the calculation). For sure your first entry into Canada is recorded somewhere, at the very least your passport at that time.

Congrats!

katniss

Sep 15, 2011
Thanks a lot frege and truesmile! (Frege - having a valid WP gives one the right to stay in Canada legally until the expiration date; I just could not work for any other employer unless I went through another LMO and WP process - which made no sense because all this happened just a few months ago and I knew my PR was coming soon! My WP has an expiration date of mid 2014 so my status is still good.)

Thanks again :) here's to a happy landing :)

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
truesmile said:
Am pretty sure they won't ask, but it sounds as though your WP is still valid anyway, so you are VERY fine. I agree though, answer what they ask you. Don't ramble on unnecessarily.

There is a maximum of time 'spent in Canada' that will or can eventually count towards citizenship so don't worry about the "six" years. Each day only counts as half a day and the maximum you can get credit for before PR is 'one year' (after the calculation). For sure your first entry into Canada is recorded somewhere, at the very least your passport at that time.

Congrats!
That maximum (before PR) is two years, but some people have reported that the CBSA officer who landed them entered the original date of entry as being their date of landing.

As I said, this thing also pops up in other circumstances, so it's best to have it entered correctly

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
katniss said:
Thanks a lot frege and truesmile! (Frege - having a valid WP gives one the right to stay in Canada legally until the expiration date; I just could not work for any other employer unless I went through another LMO and WP process - which made no sense because all this happened just a few months ago and I knew my PR was coming soon! My WP has an expiration date of mid 2014 so my status is still good.)

Thanks again :) here's to a happy landing :)
Congratulations! Enjoy being a PR.