+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing and leaving, calculation time PR

elevid

May 18, 2012
Hello,

I have received my PR and I have to land within October 29, 2014. My family plans are to land to Ottawa this July, but, because a job was offered to my husband in Jordan, we are thinking to leave Canada in August to move all together in Amman for one year. At the end of the next scholastic year we'll move to Canada permanently.
I read that "To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application".
I knew instead that, once you get the PR, you must live in Canada 2 years within 5 years.

I'm confused, can somebody clarify this? I'm not sure about the time, so I don't know if I risk to lose my rights to be eligible, living outside Canada for one entire year....

Thanks!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
elevid said:
Hello,

I have received my PR and I have to land within October 29, 2014. My family plans are to land to Ottawa this July, but, because a job was offered to my husband in Jordan, we are thinking to leave Canada in August to move all together in Amman for one year. At the end of the next scholastic year we'll move to Canada permanently.
I read that "To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application".
I knew instead that, once you get the PR, you must live in Canada 2 years within 5 years.

I'm confused, can somebody clarify this? I'm not sure about the time, so I don't know if I risk to lose my rights to be eligible, living outside Canada for one entire year....

Thanks!
Elevid,

If you wish to apply for Canadian citizenship:

You must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application".

In order to maintain only your permanent resident status - (Not citizen ) you only need to : live in Canada 2 years within 5 years.

PR is not a Canadian citizen but without being a PR, an immigrant will not qualify for citizenship. You will not get Canadian passport without becoming a Canadian citizen. But you can avail almost all benefits by maintaining your PR status but will not have the right for voting. Read more in the CIC website about citizenship application.