+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing and Importing car from USA to Canada

Slick

Star Member
Feb 2, 2008
I did a search in the forum and did not find the exact info I was looking for.

Based on the info I was able to gather, it seems that if you are landing by car (and wish to import it at a later date because you will be coming back), you would have to import your car right away at the time of landing. However, it seems that one of the requirements to import a car, would be to fax the title to US custom 72 hrs prior to export.

Now here's the scenario...
Let's say I want to land by car but do not want to import it right away. I get to the Canadian border, officially land, and the CBSA tell me I have to import right then. Having no plans of importing it, I obviously did not fax a copy of the title to US custom. What happens then?

I see that some folks in this forum actually ran into this situation; they had to import their car at the time of landing (wanting to do it at a later time). However, they did not specify what happened with regards to the lack of US custom notification.

Is the US custom notification only for NEW cars?
Or, because I am a settling as a permanent resident, I do not need to notify US custom?
From what I understand, it seems like the US custom notification could be optional?

To the people that landed by car and imported it, please help me clarify this situation.

Thank you!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi,

If u do not want to import your car while on your 1st landing, it'd be wise to cross the border on a rented one. 'Coz, the import/export documentation 'must' be done on Xing with your own car, whenever u do so, either the 1st time or later. And yes, that 'fax' is really needed. Else, u might run into trouble.

Moreover, if u r not doing so on your 1st landing, u'll at least need to file it in the B4, else, u'll have to pay the duties, whenever u choose to bring-it-in. There's no way out against those fees. U may like to read about the process here:
trackitt.com/canada-discussion-forums/federal-skilled-workers/485944597/qorax-how-to-export-import-cars-from-the-us-into-canada

Good luck.
Qorax

Slick

Star Member
Feb 2, 2008
Thanks for your input Qorax. However, it still doesn't explain how some people were "forced" into importing their cars at the last minute, when they really wanted to do it a later time.

Did they have to fax the title to US customs once in Canada, and drive back to the border to finalize the import?

To the folks that went through this process, please advise.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
That fax only helps in speeding up the process. One can do it w/out faxing as well. Time-time-&-time consuming though.

Yes, if u land-up at the border with your 'own' car, which has a clear title [w/out pending mortgage], u r likely to be coerced to 'importing' it then & there. Else, the VO might return u, un-landed. Happened with few on this forum & others.

I wish some of them reply to your post, now.

Qorax

Slick

Star Member
Feb 2, 2008
I just find it interresting that CBSA can "force" someone to import their car without first taking care of the requirements on the US side (faxing title 72 hrs ahead of time).

To the folks that went through this process, please advise!!!

Thanks a bunch.

precious metals

Star Member
Apr 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Besides true guidance of Qorax and other points discussed, pls see website of "Registrar of Imported Vehicles" also.

This will give u insight view for doing so.

There are certain obligations to be met.

RIV, Canada has list of vehicles which can be imported & which cannot be imported.

Main elements of vehicles which can be imported:

Should have recall clearance letter from manufacturer
Should have speedometer in Kilometers not in Miles
Should have day light options for head lamps
Should have immobiliser in builts

These four are the mandatory standards of vehicles of canada. Without these, vehicle cannot be imported.

Slick

Star Member
Feb 2, 2008
Thanks for your reply precious metals, I was aware of the requirements for import.
My question was more in regards to CBSA "forcing" one to import his car (at the time of landing), without first faxing the title to US Customs. What happens then?

pooja123

Feb 20, 2010
Slick said:
Thanks for your reply precious metals, I was aware of the requirements for import.
My question was more in regards to CBSA "forcing" one to import his car (at the time of landing), without first faxing the title to US Customs. What happens then?
If I am correctly understood from above answers; one can still import the car without faxing the title to US customs; but that take much more time compare to if one fax it.
or worst case, VO doesn't allow the applicant to land in Canada.

precious metals

Star Member
Apr 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just fax the title ahead of 72 hours, EXPORT FROM US, IMPORT IN CANADA, FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES, BETTER TO IMPORT WHILE LANDING ONLY, WILL TAKE 5 MIN AT US CUSTOMS FOR EXPORT & 1-2 HOURS AT CANADIAN IMPORT POINT.

NOT A TEDIOUS PROCESS IF PREPARED IN ADVANCE.