+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing after overstaying for 10 months!

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Hi guys! I am landing in toronto after staying out of Canada for 3 years and 10 months!

I was reading in this forum about IO letting you in but flagging your case in case you left and tried to reenter Canada again. Does that happens coz I will have to leave Canada again for a few(about four) months to write my final university exams before I am done.

And I also read something about self serve in airports at toronto and vancuover? what exactly is it and can I avoid the IOs by using it????

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tegveer said:
Hi guys! I am landing in toronto after staying out of Canada for 3 years and 10 months!

I was reading in this forum about IO letting you in but flagging your case in case you left and tried to reenter Canada again. Does that happens coz I will have to leave Canada again for a few(about four) months to write my final university exams before I am done.

And I also read something about self serve in airports at toronto and vancuover? what exactly is it and can I avoid the IOs by using it????
1. As it appears that you haven't meet your PR residency requirements, it is quite possible that you will be reported on entry.
2. Automated Border Clearance self-serve kiosks are available at Vancouver International Airport (YVR), Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) and Toronto International Airport (YYZ).

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada and have a valid Canadian passport or permanent resident card, you now have the option of using an Automated Border Clearance kiosk to clear the border upon returning to Canada.

One person can make a declaration for up to four people using one kiosk, provided they all live at the same address. Travellers follow the easy steps on the screen and then proceed to a designated border services officer who will quickly verify their documents and direct them on their way.

Travellers should have all of the necessary documents on hand when they approach the kiosk, which include the completed Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Declaration Card, their Canadian passport or permanent resident card and all receipts for purchases made abroad.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

1. As it appears that you haven't meet your PR residency requirements, it is quite possible that you will be reported on entry.
2. Automated Border Clearance self-serve kiosks are available at Vancouver International Airport (YVR), Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) and Toronto International Airport (YYZ).

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada and have a valid Canadian passport or permanent resident card, you now have the option of using an Automated Border Clearance kiosk to clear the border upon returning to Canada.

One person can make a declaration for up to four people using one kiosk, provided they all live at the same address. Travellers follow the easy steps on the screen and then proceed to a designated border services officer who will quickly verify their documents and direct them on their way.

Travellers should have all of the necessary documents on hand when they approach the kiosk, which include the completed Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Declaration Card, their Canadian passport or permanent resident card and all receipts for purchases made abroad.
Thanks!
Will going through the self serve kiosk help me or should I go to the IO instead???
I read on the net that you have to insert the declaration card into the machine, so does that mean the IO won't see the date on which I left Canada(which you have to fill on the declaration card)?????
Should I be worried?(I mean the declaration card showing I have stayed out of Canada for more than three years won't set off the machine,will it?)

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
Tegveer,

You miss the point, you would required to go through the officer who will verify your documents, usually they are asking three questions. when you last time left the Canada, what you do for living in Canada and last what you are bringing into Canada. Subsequent to your answer and their assesment about you they either send you out or to a secondary check.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Should I explain to the IO that I left Canada alongwith my parents?
Should I carry some documents like the Photocopy of their PR cards?
Finally, I know that studying abroad doesnt help in residency obligations, but would explaining them how my education was on scholarship help?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try it. They may flag your or report you or they may not. The only way to find out is to try.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Leon said:
You can try it. They may flag your or report you or they may not. The only way to find out is to try.
hi leon!
could you tell me something about the self serve kiosk? I read a post of yours saying that you can avoid too much questioning by going through it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have never gone through them myself but I have heard that you can avoid some questioning if you do.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Leon said:
I have never gone through them myself but I have heard that you can avoid some questioning if you do.
hey leon! do you think the fact i have not resided in Canada for the last 3 yrs and 10 months,which i'll write on the declaration card cause problem while using the machine???(for instance, setting off the machine,its kinda stupid but I'm worried!)
I know you haven't used it yourself,but i'll still like to know what do you think??

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tegveer said:
hey leon! do you think the fact i have not resided in Canada for the last 3 yrs and 10 months,which i'll write on the declaration card cause problem while using the machine???(for instance, setting off the machine,its kinda stupid but I'm worried!)
I know you haven't used it yourself,but i'll still like to know what do you think??

Thanks!
I have no idea. Unless you want to stay where you are now, you will have to enter one way or another so I guess you'll have to do it and face the music. If they want to report you, you can say you were studying and your family is in Canada. Maybe they wont report you. However, if they do, it would not be good to leave again and then try to re-enter in a few months time.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Leon said:
I have no idea. Unless you want to stay where you are now, you will have to enter one way or another so I guess you'll have to do it and face the music. If they want to report you, you can say you were studying and your family is in Canada. Maybe they wont report you. However, if they do, it would not be good to leave again and then try to re-enter in a few months time.
Thanks! and you'r right!
I'll update how it goes!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tegveer said:
hi leon!
could you tell me something about the self serve kiosk? I read a post of yours saying that you can avoid too much questioning by going through it.
There is still a CBSA agent (primary line) at the end of the self service kiosks that collects your declaration card - he/she might still decide to refer you to Secondary based on some criteria e.g. your routing or even a random selection (maybe they pull in every 20th passenger or it could be demographic)...usually its the officers experience (gut feel) and some intelligence (maybe your name flags up for some reason).

cantrue

Jun 26, 2013
we did tried. we were absence for 2 years and friends told us to use the machine. The IO asked us to go to the counter for secondary check. and there they asked us questions.... but since we still met the minimum stay obligation, the second IO only give us few lecturing words but then let us enter...

since you will enter your last date leaving canada in the DE form, the first officer will notice that you've been away for some years.... they probably will ask you to go on secondary check. so you need a very strong reason before you enter.....

I don"t know if you try to go thru LAND border, you can go with a family/friends.... there you only show them your PR card... but i am not sure about this.

Good Luck !

sdam12345

Jul 12, 2013
I just posted this to another thread but reposting here....landed as PR back in August 2009, stayed 2 weeks, left and have not been back since. I would like to return now but unsure what to do really. My PR card expires August 2014. I do have my SIN but not health card.

I am a national of Norway and do not require an entry visa, i.e. could i maybe enter that way, without informing them about my PR status, stay put for 2 years and renew my PR card then? I have also read that if you do not require an entry visa the agents are usually more flexible?? Which seems odd in the first place...

Not sure what my options are and what would work best? What are these self-serve kiosks? Does it make any difference if i enter by car along with some family members who are Canadian citizens? Lots of silly questions but like so many others I am kind of worried and need to hear some advise from people.....

Any additional advise or suggestions would be highly appreciated and thanks in advance.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Hey guys!
So I just landed safely at toronto!
As I said I used the self serve machines and they did helped me as I dont know what would the IO would have done!
Like other people say, there is still a border service officer at the end of the line, but they were rather quick!

But I still have one question for leon! That they didnt stamped my passport, so how will I prove my stay???
I do have indian exit stamp on my passport and the boarding passes, are they enough?