+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed safe from Italy. Smooth border clearance.

Uti

Aug 9, 2019
Hello all,

I just landed in BC Canada from Italy. Flight lufthansa. Did not check anything at the border other than POE letter and passport.

Reactions: GradStudent18

Peter88

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Hello all,

I just landed in BC Canada from Italy. Flight lufthansa. Did not check anything at the border other than POE letter and passport.
Happy to hear that.

Whether your classes are online or offline?

Just_J

Star Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hello all,

Congratz man
For the 14 day quarantine, did you have to show any document for your quarantine/isolation plan or did you just verbally say the address and contact number where you would quarantine? Or did you have to go directly to one of their isolation centres?

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Hello all,

Can u be specific about the process? I know someone just landed in Alberta. He said CBSA agent does not take seriously as it is supposed to be on IRCC website. As long as, you are able to show the proof of enrolment (courses) stating non-discretionary reason, passport and POE. I hope you could update this more for everybody here. Thanks ahead!!!

Uti

Aug 9, 2019
My visa was approved in February. I had everything in my hand. POE letter, LOA, Travel support letter ( no support as such it still says classes are online), I had a hotel booking for 15 nights. Submitted the BC quarantine plan submitted to the BC government. Arrive Can app ready to show. The first CBSA officer asked me to show the POE letter. I showed. Then he asked, you already know that you have to quarantine ? where are yo u going to do that. I said i have booked a hotel. He said OK good. Then he asked after quarantine where are you going. I said I am moving in with my cousin. Then he said perfect. How are you getting food, I said my cousin is helping me, Then he asked me to go and grab my baggage and go to the immigration to collect my study permit. I went to the immigration. There were about 6, 7 counters. At least 5, 6 students, student dependents, lots of families on LMIAs, work permits, kids all were issued permits with no additional questions. At the immigration my second officer asked for thePOE. Didn't even ask for the LOA. He asked my college name. Then in about 5 minutes I was given SP. Once done I asked the officer if my dependents can come. My husband already has a job offer. He said certainly they can. But I saw people coming in without job offers, even without visa to apply at the POE( who are eligible to do so) Overall Vancouver CBSA officers were nice and welcoming. This was my experience and all the passengers came in with me had a similar experience.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
My visa was approved in February. I had everything in my hand. POE letter, LOA, Travel support letter ( no support as such it still says classes are online), I had a hotel booking for 15 nights. Submitted the BC quarantine plan submitted to the BC government. Arrive Can app ready to show. The first CBSA officer asked me to show the POE letter. I showed. Then he asked, you already know that you have to quarantine ? where are yo u going to do that. I said i have booked a hotel. He said OK good. Then he asked after quarantine where are you going. I said I am moving in with my cousin. Then he said perfect. How are you getting food, I said my cousin is helping me, Then he asked me to go and grab my baggage and go to the immigration to collect my study permit. I went to the immigration. There were about 6, 7 counters. At least 5, 6 students, student dependents, lots of families on LMIAs, work permits, kids all were issued permits with no additional questions. At the immigration my second officer asked for thePOE. Didn't even ask for the LOA. He asked my college name. Then in about 5 minutes I was given SP. Once done I asked the officer if my dependents can come. My husband already has a job offer. He said certainly they can. But I saw people coming in without job offers, even without visa to apply at the POE( who are eligible to do so) Overall Vancouver CBSA officers were nice and welcoming. This was my experience and all the passengers came in with me had a similar experience.
Hey! Did the any of the officers at immigration in Vancouver not ask about whether classes are online or offline for the fall?

Uti

Aug 9, 2019
No one asked. Neither from me nor from any other student. They were very supportive. People who did not have visa, who are eligible to apply at the POE , now that service is not available due to Covid 19, I saw one lady officer helping them to get a TRV then enter in to the country and apply the work permit or what ever online inside Canada. At least 3 cases like that, She was helping the same two passengers entire time I was there more than half an hour. I saw an African origin doctor coming on a work permit, wife on ETA was allowed to enter. A closed work permit holder came in with family, husband on OWP with a kid no questions asked from the husband. AS per IRCC they can't, open work permit has to be applied on line and has to have a job offer to enter. My family did not travel cz of that. But there were lots of people who entered, at least 7,8 families. Only a few single students all others were families. I did not hear or see anyone asking any additional question other that the POE letter and LOA.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
No one asked. Neither from me nor from any other student. They were very supportive. People who did not have visa, who are eligible to apply at the POE , now that service is not available due to Covid 19, I saw one lady officer helping them to get a TRV then enter in to the country and apply the work permit or what ever online inside Canada. At least 3 cases like that, She was helping the same two passengers entire time I was there more than half an hour. I saw an African origin doctor coming on a work permit, wife on ETA was allowed to enter. A closed work permit holder came in with family, husband on OWP with a kid no questions asked from the husband. AS per IRCC they can't, open work permit has to be applied on line and has to have a job offer to enter. My family did not travel cz of that. But there were lots of people who entered, at least 7,8 families. Only a few single students all others were families. I did not hear or see anyone asking any additional question other that the POE letter and LOA.
Thanks a ton for replying ! So grateful to you & it's so good to hear that you had no problems at the border. I have to go to Vancouver too, but the Indian government is not allowing people to board flights from India saying online classes are "non-essential". :(

I hope IRCC removes this essential v/s non-essential rule from their website. They are anyway not following it at the border. Then why not allow all students with online classes to enter & put that clearly on their website?

Now I'll have to suffer as I'm stuck at home & my PGWP is also at risk because of the 50% limit.

Last edited:

MOTHREE

Jul 31, 2020
So good to hear.
Thank you for sharing.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Hello all,

@Uti , just a small query please. I hope I'm not bothering you too much.

I too have to book a hotel if I reach there. Of course this will happen only if Air India allows me boarding which seems impossible but still...

If we give hotel address as quarantine address, we'll also have to give 2 phone numbers right? For them to call & check. Which numbers did you give please?

Thanks a ton....

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Happy to help. This forum was the only place gave some good support so I am happy give it back.
So sweet and incredibly kind of you to help us here. We're stuck in doom and not having any peace of mind. So kind of you to help. Thanks a ton...