+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed........& now a permanent resident

babutv2000

Jan 29, 2009
I landed at pearson international airport toronto on 18th Dec 2009. Here is my experience...
Received customs declaration forms on the plane. Filled it in and remembered to tick the box for "goods to follow". Upon arrival, passed through a counter who checked the declaration form and passport, returned without any stamp. Proceeded to immigration. Few people in the queue. Lady at the counter was very helpful. Gave passport, custom declaration, copr forms. She returned customs declaration forms. Asked when will the rest of the family will join me. Asked how much funds I will be relocating with? Did not ask for proof. Asked for local address, gave her pre printed slip. She made me sign on the copr form and informed me that, it will be the same signature appearing on the PR card when issued. That's it, she welcomed me to Canada and returned the passport and one copy of the copr form. I asked about PR card and I was told it will be sent to mentioned address in 3 to 4 weeks time. If I do not receive by that time, I have to call the service centre. I was then directed to "welcome to canada" counter for new immigrants. I was given some printed material and a bag. Passed through another counter where I was given information on Ontario health card application. I strongly recommend all to read the material as I found them extremely useful. Then proceed to collect the check in baggage. It was a long long wait and queue. First the flight was A380-800 from dubai, lot's of passengers. Then there were many other flights arriving at same time. Almost after an hour , I was with customs official. He took the "Goods to follow" list in duplicate, declaration form. Asked which are the few highest value items in the list. Stamped the list and returned to me along with customs receipt showing the total value of the goods I have declared as "to follow". Next day, it was saturday. Visited city hall centre for sin registration. I was told they work mon to fri. Hence I had to visit another office near my residence on monday for sin registration. Reported at the reception with copr form , passport and duly filled in sin card application. I was given back the documents and was asked to wait. There were many computers, sat and completed three profiles for the job bank. I was called in by another lady. I was then assisted with sin registration. It took about 20 minutes to get letter with my sin number. I was told that the sin card will be sent to the address mentioned in 10 working days. Went back to the terminal to check some job matches. Again I recommend that you try creating profile in the job bank, atleast it was useful for me to get an idea on what skills, the employers in canada looking for in my profession. website link is http://seekers.jobbank.gc.ca/common-commun/login-connection.aspx?redirect=true&target=6&lang=en-CA
My next stop was at "Toronto Centre" Employment resource centre. Great place to be!!! You can get access to computers, printer, fax machine, phone, lots and lots of study material on how to find a job, dvd's to assist on tip's to write winning resume, facing interviews etc.,etc., All for free!!
Then proceeded to apply for OHIP (Health card). I could not complete the process as I did not have acceptable address proof ie lease agreement or temporary drivers license or monthly bank statement which would have arrived by post. I will work on possibly getting the temporary driver's license.
This is it for now...........

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
babutv2000 said:
I landed at pearson international airport toronto on 18th Dec 2009. Here is my experience...
Received customs declaration forms on the plane. Filled it in and remembered to tick the box for "goods to follow". Upon arrival, passed through a counter who checked the declaration form and passport, returned without any stamp. Proceeded to immigration. Few people in the queue. Lady at the counter was very helpful. Gave passport, custom declaration, copr forms. She returned customs declaration forms. Asked when will the rest of the family will join me. Asked how much funds I will be relocating with? Did not ask for proof. Asked for local address, gave her pre printed slip. She made me sign on the copr form and informed me that, it will be the same signature appearing on the PR card when issued. That's it, she welcomed me to Canada and returned the passport and one copy of the copr form. I asked about PR card and I was told it will be sent to mentioned address in 3 to 4 weeks time. If I do not receive by that time, I have to call the service centre. I was then directed to "welcome to canada" counter for new immigrants. I was given some printed material and a bag. Passed through another counter where I was given information on Ontario health card application. I strongly recommend all to read the material as I found them extremely useful. Then proceed to collect the check in baggage. It was a long long wait and queue. First the flight was A380-800 from dubai, lot's of passengers. Then there were many other flights arriving at same time. Almost after an hour , I was with customs official. He took the "Goods to follow" list in duplicate, declaration form. Asked which are the few highest value items in the list. Stamped the list and returned to me along with customs receipt showing the total value of the goods I have declared as "to follow". Next day, it was saturday. Visited city hall centre for sin registration. I was told they work mon to fri. Hence I had to visit another office near my residence on monday for sin registration. Reported at the reception with copr form , passport and duly filled in sin card application. I was given back the documents and was asked to wait. There were many computers, sat and completed three profiles for the job bank. I was called in by another lady. I was then assisted with sin registration. It took about 20 minutes to get letter with my sin number. I was told that the sin card will be sent to the address mentioned in 10 working days. Went back to the terminal to check some job matches. Again I recommend that you try creating profile in the job bank, atleast it was useful for me to get an idea on what skills, the employers in canada looking for in my profession. website link is http://seekers.jobbank.gc.ca/common-commun/login-connection.aspx?redirect=true&target=6&lang=en-CA
My next stop was at "Toronto Centre" Employment resource centre. Great place to be!!! You can get access to computers, printer, fax machine, phone, lots and lots of study material on how to find a job, dvd's to assist on tip's to write winning resume, facing interviews etc.,etc., All for free!!
Then proceeded to apply for OHIP (Health card). I could not complete the process as I did not have acceptable address proof ie lease agreement or temporary drivers license or monthly bank statement which would have arrived by post. I will work on possibly getting the temporary driver's license.
Thbanks for sharing this info. I wish youj best of luck and life in Canada

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
!!! CONGRATULATIONS !!!
U have done it, brother. now do not forget us. Keep this thread 'alive' with all & any info that u come across hereon. We shall remain indebted for your inputs on 'settling issues'.

Great show, Let all the choicest blessings of Almighty shower on u & your family !

We look forward to hearing more from u.
God bless you.

sifarsen

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Kolkata
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC,ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08 Apr 08
Doc's Request.
21 Apr 09
Med's Request
06 Nov 09
Med's Done....
08 Dec 09
Passport Req..
06 Nov 09
VISA ISSUED...
06 Jan 09
LANDED..........
04 June 10
Congrats...wish you all the luck...keep in touch

jigna

Star Member
Jul 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16th APRIL
Doc's Request.
20th JUL
Med's Request
29th SEP
Med's Done....
3rd OCT
Passport Req..
29th SEP
VISA ISSUED...
2nd FEB
LANDED..........
planning in MARCH
congrates....
u gave very useful info.. i ll save this......

jitz

Star Member
Oct 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good opportunity for the new seekers. Thanks for providing this useful information. ...

PankajK

Mar 22, 2009
Vancouver, BC CANADA
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 2009
AOR Received.
November 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
Passport Req..
September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
November 2012 Vancouver, BC
Congratulations

mokshagj15

Star Member
Apr 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Babu for great information.
I can nearly visualise my landing when I will do it.
Ankur

calgirl

Nov 17, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7-5-09
Doc's Request.
6-7-09
Med's Request
28-10-09
Med's Done....
3-11-09
Passport Req..
28-10-09
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-09
LANDED..........
7-5-2010
babutv2000 said:
Good post. Congratulations !! Do I need to list everything I'll carry in both the checked in luggage and hand bag?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
[quote author=calgirl.msg189771#msg189771 date=1261552646]
Good post. Congratulations !! Do I need to list everything I'll carry in both the checked in luggage and hand bag?
[/quote]

Re: Do I need to list everything I'll carry in both the checked in luggage and hand bag?

Yes, MM.

You must also make a list of all the items that you are carrying 'on-person' (checked-in+hand baggage). It'd be just an excel sheet, listing the items alongwith their value & a total in the end. Take both, the 'goods to follow' list & this one in duplicate copies.

Regards.

marie121479

Star Member
Nov 26, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 26, 2010 (Winnipeg) moved to Vancouver (Sept 1, 2010)
babutv2000, how many minutes or hours is the whole process of arriving at the airport, immigration check and exiting the airport? thanks :)

calgirl

Nov 17, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7-5-09
Doc's Request.
6-7-09
Med's Request
28-10-09
Med's Done....
3-11-09
Passport Req..
28-10-09
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-09
LANDED..........
7-5-2010
qorax said:
Re: Do I need to list everything I'll carry in both the checked in luggage and hand bag?

Yes, MM.

You must also make a list of all the items that you are carrying 'on-person' (checked-in+hand baggage). It'd be just an excel sheet, listing the items alongwith their value & a total in the end. Take both, the 'goods to follow' list & this one in duplicate copies.

Regards.
Thank you and congratulations.