+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDED NAIJA APPLICANT PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERINCE

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear RN

thanks a lot for your writing in the post . though i am not a Nigerian, but i have been a keen reader your nice sharing of experience in Canada. the way yiu present your experience is outstanding in sense. i appreciate your writing that blessed us many . hopefully we will see many wonderful writings from you.
i would be very much appreciated if you please here my story and comment on it in the ways of Canadian trend .....................................................

i am a Bangladeshi applicant and just waiting to close the final stage of application and visas to be stamped . i applied under the NOC 4131 and in the profession of teaching at the college . after landing , i would like to study to work as a business analyst over there.for your information, i have been a graduate in economics in Bangladesh. now could you please tell us ,it is possible to study the course at a career development college under a loan or other financial assistance from the federal government ?can i change my current profession and start a new with the canadian degree.?
lookingf forward to hearing from you soon.
wishes
imu

Mrs.U

Feb 23, 2011
QUESTION
Has anyone on the forum visited Canada before, What is needed in Nigeria for the person in canada to submit . I have read online and it seems the only thing required from the person in Canada is a letter and also a citizenship card or pr card. Is there anything else required.
Thank you and good luck to all.

Dear RN, so glad to be of help here...Right is right,(no pun intended) I travelled to canada sometime in February this year with my mum...The document from my sister's hussy included;

1. invitation letter,
2. PR card
3. photocopy of mortgage.

for the applicant, the embassey is after any document that establishes a close tie to your home country. They want to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you would be back...Family, good job, shares certificate, mortgage..etc

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KC..., I think you are the second person that will say that. We should start looking for a publisher (just kidding). We also need to think about how we will market our product.

Thanks Right and Mrs U.

Hello Imu,
Its ok you are not Nigeria, Canada is a multicultural society.
Yes, it is possible to do as you said (i.e. go to a career centre).

You will be able to get some loans. But some government loans you will not be eligble for until one year after being in Canada.

However, most business analyst courses by private career colleges you may not be eligible for a loan. I think if you want to start up right, you may want to consider investing some of the money you bring from Bangladesh in completing a business analyst course.

Since you said you are a professor, another option is to do a masters degree related to your area of interest. It will probably take around 2 years. If you do a research, most schools will not only pay your tuition, most schools will guarantee you funding for around 10-15,000 a year. This money can be used towards some living expense and in most schools, you can also work as a teaching or research assistant part time while you do your masters. If you want this route, I also suggest you start devising strategies to improve your English.

You have two options. Choose based on the one that suits your needs.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To add to my post, I present things from the way I see things, which may change over time, others may have a different story and everyone is always in a learning process. For example, I stated about insurance that you should expect around 200-400 bucks per month (I think I said this earlier). However, I just realized today that their are some insurance companies where you may get less, however, the service or coverage will also be less. Hence, what I mean is that you may be able to get things lesser or easier than stated if you dig into the community and are willing to get something either lesser than ideal, lesser than recommended or lesser than legal. I am not the best with this type of knowledge.

Although, this may not be a big deal for Nigerians, but I write this in case other people are coming to this thread. I advice people who have bad English speaking or writing skills to learn or strenghten it before they come to Canada. It will be really difficult to get a job with weak English. One thing that may exist for Nigerians is written English. This may be much more important for those planning to go back to school after getting to Canada. What I mean is that some people may be ok at writing English in like chating or writing a note for their children but when it is time to write a scholarly paper, they may be absolutely weak on sentence structure or paragraph structure. It creates more challenges if English becomes a weakness. Some schools have writing centres with individuals who can help with improving Language skills and editing. I suggest to use this if enrolled in a university program. Also, I notice there are sometimes minor cultural variations in the use of English language (even it exist within Canada). With practice, it may be possible to pick up on this skills.

The other thing that bugs a lot of Nigerias (bugs me too) is accent. Everyone has an accent. It is very frustrating when you are speaking and people say pardon, pardon. Many Nigerians I know feel frustrated not with competency in speaking correct English (except in academic situations as described above) but in accent. It is very difficult for adults to change their accent. It is more challenging I think for the person to understand you if you loose confidence because you are afraid of your accent. What I mean is that you still need to speak with confidence (not over confidence) even with the accent and ensure you speak out (not too low) . The other thing is watching Canadian movies to help with the accent. Others may suggest what they do in terms of accent.

Regarding children (especially under 14), I personally support speaking our language (Yoruba, Ibo, Hasa, etc) to them. We dont have to speak English to them at home (especially if you want them to have the slightest clue of the language 5 years down the road). They will learn the language in school especially for children under 10 they will adjust with time. As opposed to Nigeria, remember all they speak and understand in school is English. I would even encourage people who speak english at home to their children in Nigeria to change it once they come to Canada to a total Yoruba. Also, if you want them to learn basic Nigerian manners, (e.g. how to greet a elder, what hand to use to give someting to someone older), you need to do this totally from A toZ at home. Thats why sometimes socializing (e.g. going to Nigerian church or events) with Nigerians may be important

I encourage others to contribute and to dialogue about this. But in the past, when I have spoken with speech and language pathologist, they have suggested speaking the language from back home to children

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
RN, I must say am most encouraged by all your post. You have a deep knowledge about canada,which i must say with all sincerity that we are blessed people.Each and everyone is learning something new and exciting from you ,oloye,Barsindoo.tito and seglad,pls keep the flag flying.Ig

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
@RN,I have a degree from Uk( Community,Health and Social care B.A ).What are my chances of gaining good employment?Is there anything in particular that i must do before landing?I would appreciate your suggestions/advice in this regard.It is worth knowing that my plan is to eventually top up as a SOCIAL WORKER. Thanks Ig

Right

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
YES
RN said:
To add to my post, I present things from the way I see things, which may change over time, others may have a different story and everyone is always in a learning process. For example, I stated about insurance that you should expect around 200-400 bucks per month (I think I said this earlier). However, I just realized today that their are some insurance companies where you may get less, however, the service or coverage will also be less. Hence, what I mean is that you may be able to get things lesser or easier than stated if you dig into the community and are willing to get something either lesser than ideal, lesser than recommended or lesser than legal. I am not the best with this type of knowledge.

Although, this may not be a big deal for Nigerians, but I write this in case other people are coming to this thread. I advice people who have bad English speaking or writing skills to learn or strenghten it before they come to Canada. It will be really difficult to get a job with weak English. One thing that may exist for Nigerians is written English. This may be much more important for those planning to go back to school after getting to Canada. What I mean is that some people may be ok at writing English in like chating or writing a note for their children but when it is time to write a scholarly paper, they may be absolutely weak on sentence structure or paragraph structure. It creates more challenges if English becomes a weakness. Some schools have writing centres with individuals who can help with improving Language skills and editing. I suggest to use this if enrolled in a university program. Also, I notice there are sometimes minor cultural variations in the use of English language (even it exist within Canada). With practice, it may be possible to pick up on this skills.

The other thing that bugs a lot of Nigerias (bugs me too) is accent. Everyone has an accent. It is very frustrating when you are speaking and people say pardon, pardon. Many Nigerians I know feel frustrated not with competency in speaking correct English (except in academic situations as described above) but in accent. It is very difficult for adults to change their accent. It is more challenging I think for the person to understand you if you loose confidence because you are afraid of your accent. What I mean is that you still need to speak with confidence (not over confidence) even with the accent and ensure you speak out (not too low) . The other thing is watching Canadian movies to help with the accent. Others may suggest what they do in terms of accent.

Regarding children (especially under 14), I personally support speaking our language (Yoruba, Ibo, Hasa, etc) to them. We dont have to speak English to them at home (especially if you want them to have the slightest clue of the language 5 years down the road). They will learn the language in school especially for children under 10 they will adjust with time. As opposed to Nigeria, remember all they speak and understand in school is English. I would even encourage people who speak english at home to their children in Nigeria to change it once they come to Canada to a total Yoruba. Also, if you want them to learn basic Nigerian manners, (e.g. how to greet a elder, what hand to use to give someting to someone older), you need to do this totally from A toZ at home. Thats why sometimes socializing (e.g. going to Nigerian church or events) with Nigerians may be important

I encourage others to contribute and to dialogue about this. But in the past, when I have spoken with speech and language pathologist, they have suggested speaking the language from back home to children
RN,
This is wonderful. +1 for you.

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear RN
thanks a lot for your reply . started thinking over the career plan again .
wishes for you. i keep reading your post from Canada .
remain blessed .
imu

seglad

Aug 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@RN, On behalf of fellow Nigerians on this thread, i would like to say thank you very much for your extreme knowledge and understanding on Canadian settlement shared with us. Your posts show the spirits of togetherness, oneness, brotherly love and unity. These spirits, we are impacting in us and bringing into Canada to form a new Nigerian- Canadian Community. Many members on this forum have identified the needs to become united rather than tainting or labeling ourself with all sorts of names with bad characters and attitudes. We are a reformed Nigerians and cant wait for a re-union with members i left in Nigeria into Canada to continue the new life, new spirits and new goals. Oloye and Myself would not mind to meet with you,if you would PM your number to me.

@All, am not doing bad at all in term of integrating into Canadian values and community. Children have started schooling,all workshops and seminars on jobs search, resume,cover letter, tax returns, and how to better integrate have been completed
I am ready to take up a factory job or a security job at the moment until i finish my professional certification. Owing a car is a must and will get one soon.

@Ig, Tinu, Tolu, Spokes, Oynx, and Mot, i greet all our mother in-house,All the PA's i salute you too o.

Right

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
YES
seglad said:
@ Ig, Tinu, Tolu, Spokes, Oynx, and Mot, i greet all our mother in-house,All the PA's i salute you too o.
Seglad, Seglad, Seglad.....how many times did I call you?

You were so quick to remember the names of the momos and only called the guyz, "Pas" what an effontry on the elders? Naija Pikin et al, Pls start the process of delisting Pa from Seglad! lol

seglad

Aug 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right said:
Seglad, Seglad, Seglad.....how many times did I call you?

You were so quick to remember the names of the momos and only called the guyz, "Pas" what an effontry on the elders? Naija Pikin et al, Pls start the process of delisting Pa from Seglad! lol
Who am I to mention the PA's BY names.This is to show my high esteem for the PA's. Accept my respect, please.

Right

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
YES
seglad said:
Who am I to mention the PA's BY names.This is to show my high esteem for the PA's. Accept my respect, please.
Better! Naija Pikin.....pls stay action unitl further notice

Naija Pikin

Sep 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-8-2010
VISA ISSUED...
2-4-2012
Right said:
Better! Naija Pikin.....pls stay action unitl further notice
Okay!, was already loading my pump action.

lnd_dan

Jun 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2013
Nomination.....
16-05-2013
AOR Received.
16-05-2013
File Transfer...
14-08-2013
Med's Request
28-08-2013
Med's Done....
29-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
19-10-2013
Naija Pikin said:
Okay!, was already loading my pump action.
:D ;D :D ;D :D :D ;D :D ;D ;D :D ;D
please free my Oga seglad o enjoy ur new country Canada. ;D :D