+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

SonamK

Dec 3, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for sharing, very useful for people like me who will be landing in a few weeks. But I am going to Montreal and was wondering if the immigration process will be different there? Regarding the jewellery, did they ask you for appraisal of jewellery along with the photos? I am planning to bring jewellery inherited from my grandparents and do not know their value. Have read on sites that they need appraisals.

Do let me know. Thanks once again for sharing your experience, hope mine goes as smoothly as yours.

Sonam

dingdong

Mar 12, 2010
Hello Guys
I have a question ....do we need a DATV( Direct Airside Transit Visa ) if we travel through UK ......I am planning to use British Airways but my agent told me that u need a DATV if you travel through UK.

Confused ..... any help plzz

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dingdong said:
Hello Guys
I have a question ....do we need a DATV( Direct Airside Transit Visa ) if we travel through UK ......I am planning to use British Airways but my agent told me that u need a DATV if you travel through UK.

Call up the airlines - BA and ask them with the Flight code which you will be booking the tickets for. Air India flight which has a technical stop over for 2 hrs you don't need a transit visa for that flight this I know.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
That $150 policy covers peanuts. Think about it.
I am going to search for more information on it as I have some time with me but will definitely go for a deal which is best in total.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
dingdong said:
Hello Guys

Your agent is talking non-sense [how he got to become an agent is yet another thought]. Anyone traveling to North Americas & most of Europe thru UK "do not need a DATV" if he has a continuous ticket to prove his final destination. This is even if u stay over 24 hrs in the a/port AND change Terminals.

For others... ditto if u r not entering UK & staying-put inside the a/port for 24 hrs.

BTW: U DO NOT NEED any kind of visa to go to Canada via London [Heathrow or Gatwick]. I came here via Heathrow on a BA tkt... DXB-LHR-YYZ.

Good luck.
Qorax

May 16, 2010
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2009
Doc's Request.
04-11-2009
Med's Request
25-02-2010
Med's Done....
29-03-2010,Medical furtherance request on 14 april 10, sumitted on 1st June10
Interview........
waived off
Passport Req..
25-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
23rd June 2010
Congrats guys for landing in Canada..

Please care to reply: I have applied under the NOC code of 0111, got Medical RPRF & PP request on 26th March 2010 ( dated 25th Feb2010), i done my medicals on 29th march & send to New Delhi CHC on 1st April 2010, CHC ND got it on 5thApril 2010. They have encashed RPRF fees on 10th April 2010 ( as i checked with my bank)...but i have not recived any recipet of such RPRF...Please can anybody reply that Howmuch time it takes to stamp visa on PP?

Thanks for replying

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
That $150 policy covers peanuts. Think about it.
Yeah its 328 CAD as compared to ICICI Lombard 1,00,000 USD cover for just 4-6K (depending upon the age). ICICI agent told me its cashless as they have tie up with EURO ASSIST.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Just wanna keep watching this good thread.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Comparison for Health Insurance is to be purchased in Canada after landing. Just to keep people updated though it might not be the best option.

https://www.healthquotes.ca/VisitorsToCanada/default.aspx?Section=Visitors&Page=Quotes

https://www.healthquotes.ca/VisitorsToCanada/Detailed-Comparison.htm

Reet

Star Member
Dec 30, 2009
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
initial application to NS-2nd Nov.
Doc's Request.
14th Jan..docs sent to CHC 29th Jan.
IELTS Request
14th Jan
File Transfer...
20th jan
Med's Request
8th March
Med's Done....
18th March
Interview........
waived-off
Passport Req..
8th March
VISA ISSUED...
26th April
LANDED..........
not decided yet
rocky272727 said:
Comparison for Health Insurance is to be purchased in Canada after landing. Just update to keep people posted though it might not be the best option.

https://www.healthquotes.ca/VisitorsToCanada/default.aspx?Section=Visitors&Page=Quotes

https://www.healthquotes.ca/VisitorsToCanada/Detailed-Comparison.htm
thanx Rocky.....i hv 2 also get insurance done and dis is quite useful...

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
qorax said:
Your agent is talking non-sense [how he got to become an agent is yet another thought]. Anyone traveling to North Americas & most of Europe thru UK "do not need a DATV" if he has a continuous ticket to prove his final destination. This is even if u stay over 24 hrs in the a/port AND change Terminals.

For others... ditto if u r not entering UK & staying-put inside the a/port for 24 hrs.

BTW: U DO NOT NEED any kind of visa to go to Canada via London [Heathrow or Gatwick]. I came here via Heathrow on a BA tkt... DXB-LHR-YYZ.

Good luck.
Qorax
Dear Quorax,

As i understand if you are not leaving the airport area then you dont need any transit visa... in fact when i called up jet airways their customer care woman asked me the same thing... but from my sources i came to know that if you are not leaving the air port then you dont need any visa....i am planning to take a ahmd-mumbai-london-edmonton flight which i browsed on makemy trip .com its priced at @ 32 k for 9th sept is it possible i am a bit confused about the pricing...

gill_6111

Mar 7, 2010
dear quarex
the air line will provide u with the tramsit card , u know aafter landing at heathrow they will ask u if ur having the connecting flight if yes they guys jus standing next to the exit door of the plain will provide u with the card on which it says TRANSIT CARD , u just need to keep that with ur boarding pass. after that they will again do the security check of ur hand luaguage and then u people have again to check in.

sharma77

Aug 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2009
AOR Received.
28-05-2009