+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reet said:
thanx for ur reply...bt i still hv a doubt...i hd askd for an international driving license and i ws told that if i hv IDL i will nt require to take canadian license for 1 year...is it true????
Will get back to you for this by tomorrow.

gill_6111

Mar 7, 2010
hi every one
i have landed on 8 of may . i have landed in toronto . it took me around ten minutes to reach the first desk as u people been provided with for to be filled where the officer will ask you to show the passport and landing paper { they will ask u regarding how much money u people have been carrying make sure that ur having sufficent funds}. after checking they will let u to go to immigration desk whick is 3 minutes away from desk. where the officer will ask u to hand over the landing paper and passport { while ask u the questions regarding the funds , any criminal activity ur involved and the address u r going to stay } theit all goin to take 10 to 15 minutes. after that the officer will give u the carbon copy of the landing paper and passport . then u will be askk to go to welcome desk where u will be provided with leaflets and other reading material for the better understanding of the enviornment. after tha u will be free take ur luguage { here u r goin to need 2 dollar coins to have a trolly to carry laguage}

saki

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reet said:
thanx for ur reply...bt i still hv a doubt...i hd askd for an international driving license and i ws told that if i hv IDL i will nt require to take canadian license for 1 year...is it true????
Hi,

If you are moving to Canada as a permanent resident then you will have 60 days to drive on your IDL and after 60 days you need to get a local driving license to legally drive in Canada BUT if you are moving to canada on a temporary visa like student visa or for holidays then you can drive in Canada for 1 year on your IDL. Below is the link to answer your query

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000177

Regards
Saki

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear Saki & Reet,

Just a small amendment on your response, if u plz. With an IDP/IDL u can drive for a max of 3 months, if u r visiting. Not 1yr. Yes, for a PR it is only 2 months.

Qorax

Ps.: I took 2.5 hrs to exit Toronto A/port. No, there was no fault in the system... just that there was tremendous rush. And the last BSO post took a huge time putting my funds into her system & stamping my Goods to follow B4. All the while every BSO was extremely polite & genuinely helpful. It's a blessing to be in such a generous country.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
rocky272727 said:
Hi,

I might go in May or June not sure yet. I will buy insurance from Canada only for 3 months as its easier. Got this information from friends in Canada.
It also will be 3 times costly here. Think about it !

R

Raj22

Dear Qorax,

Great to hear you have landed safely in Toronto. Was just wondering what happened as there was no mail from your side. Wishing you an easy and comfortable settlement in Canada.

Do mail your experiences in canada once a while on the forum whenever you get time. Would be great to have your presence here.

Raj

GIAWM

Star Member
Nov 12, 2009
qorax said:
Qorax...Thank you very much

I am thinking of getting the same from ICICI Lombard (Indian insurance company) as a travel insurance....

They have told me that.. we need to pay the first 100$ / illness by ourselves (deductible)...and it may be even 300$ for a Canadian insurance company....

1) Is this true..?
2) Whether the deductible is for per illness... (as per ICICI it is per illness). What about the canadian ones....?

Can somebody put light into this....

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
GIAWM said:
Qorax...Thank you very much

I am thinking of getting the same from ICICI Lombard (Indian insurance company) as a travel insurance....

They have told me that.. we need to pay the first 100$ / illness by ourselves (deductible)...and it may be even 300$ for a Canadian insurance company....

1) Is this true..?
2) Whether the deductible is for per illness... (as per ICICI it is per illness). What about the canadian ones....?

Can somebody put light into this....
Lombard is a damn good insurer. I guess ICICI has a clean tie-up with them... which should make it one of the best Travel Insurance in the market, for u. GO FOR IT.

As for some generic terms & prices, u may like to read my post here:
Temp. Health Insurance: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t39920.0.html

Good luck.
Qorax

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Ontario - for 90 days cost 150 CAD (Depends upon the age) - Blue Cross

http://www.useblue.com/en/assurance-voyage/soumission.html

Select Visitor to Canada

Age - 30

Total cost of this plan $150.00

Visitors to Canada Plan for Landed Immigrants or Permanent Residents
Emergency Medical Care - up to $100,000
Travel Assistance - included

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Dear Saki & Reet,

Just a small amendment on your response, if u plz. With an IDP/IDL u can drive for a max of 3 months, if u r visiting. Not 1yr. Yes, for a PR it is only 2 months.

Qorax

Ps.: I took 2.5 hrs to exit Toronto A/port. No, there was no fault in the system... just that there was tremendous rush. And the last BSO post took a huge time putting my funds into her system & stamping my Goods to follow B4. All the while every BSO was extremely polite & genuinely helpful. It's a blessing to be in such a generous country.
Hey congratulations on your landing buddy...finally you have completed your landing...tc stay in touch

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Post by gerrybyrne
Ok so on wednesday I went to the Ministry to get my qualifications verified for my trade ( plumber ).
The people here gave me a lot of grief over my Job Reference Letter. They tried to say that the job description on the letter was not clearly described enough. I had to argue my case for nearly 45 minutes, showing him my certificates etc. However he kept referring to the letter.
In the end his supervisor accepted my argument and they gave me the temporary licence(90 days) and I am entitled to sit the RED SEAL exam. So happy days.
I got a quote for car insurance today from my Canadian Broker for a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee for me and my wife. Cost 2740 canadian dollars.
Very expensive. So I will be shopping around for a better quote. If anyone knows of a good broker feel free to email me their details.

Some people on this forum have asked me about the proof of funds. Yes they do check for funds. And NO you do not need to show the exact funds declared on your C.I.C. application. But you must show all funds you have, and the amount must be in line with or above the minimum required amount.

R

Raj22

rocky272727 said:
Post by gerrybyrne
Ok so on wednesday I went to the Ministry to get my qualifications verified for my trade ( plumber ).
The people here gave me a lot of grief over my Job Reference Letter. They tried to say that the job description on the letter was not clearly described enough. I had to argue my case for nearly 45 minutes, showing him my certificates etc. However he kept referring to the letter.
In the end his supervisor accepted my argument and they gave me the temporary licence(90 days) and I am entitled to sit the RED SEAL exam.
Hi Rocky,
Thanks for sharing this information. I am not sure about why and how do we get our qualifications verified from the Ministry. Which ministry do we do that? Is is applicable to all the job? Is there any place where we can get more information on how to apply?

Thanks a lot
Raj

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
rocky272727 said:
Ontario - for 90 days cost 150 CAD (Depends upon the age) - Blue Cross

http://www.useblue.com/en/assurance-voyage/soumission.html

Select Visitor to Canada

Age - 30

Total cost of this plan $150.00

Visitors to Canada Plan for Landed Immigrants or Permanent Residents
Emergency Medical Care - up to $100,000
Travel Assistance - included
That $150 policy covers peanuts. Think about it.

saki

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Dear Saki & Reet,

Qorax

Thanks for the correction Qorax

Cheers