+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Source: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/CA-Canada-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

Customs Rules
All passengers travelling to Canada arriving at major airports must complete an E-311 Traveller Declaration Card prior to arrival in Canada.
If limit of free allowance is exceeded, then payment of duties will apply.

Import regulations::
RESIDENTS
1. after a stay outside of Canada for at least 24 hours goods valued at not more than CAD 50.-, which cannot include alcohol and tobacco products; or
2. after a stay outside of Canada for at least 48 hours, may import goods valued at not more than CAD 400.-, which must accompany the passenger in his hand or checked luggage and may include:
a. 50 cigars or cigarillos, 200 cigarettes, 200 tobacco sticks and 200 grams of manufactured tobacco , ;
b. 40 oz. (1.14 litres) of liquor or 51 oz. (1.5 litres) of wine or 24 x 12 oz. (355 ml.) bottles or cans (8.5 litres) of beer or ale ; or
3. after a stay outside of Canada for at least 7 days (excluding day of departure), may import goods valued at not more than CAD 750.-, which, except for alcohol and tobacco, need not accompany the passenger in his hand or checked luggage and may include:
a. 50 cigars or cigarillos, 200 cigarettes, 200 tobacco sticks and 200 grams of manufactured tobacco , ;
b. 40 oz. (1.14 litres) of liquor or 51 oz. (1.5 litres) of wine or 24 x 12 oz. (355 ml.) bottles or cans (8.5 litres) of beer or ale .
Goods to follow (not including alcoholic beverages or tobacco) may be shipped or mailed under this exemption, but must be declared on the passenger's arrival.
NON-RESIDENTS:
1. 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars or cigarillos, 200 tobacco sticks and 200 grams of manufactured tobacco ;
2. 40 oz. (1.14 litres) of liquor or wine or 24 x 12 oz. (355 ml.) bottles or cans (8.5 litres) of beer or ale ;
3. gifts up to a value of CAD 60.- (excluding tobacco products, alcoholic beverages and advertising matter) per recipient. Gifts for more persons allowed provided the value of each gift for each recipient does not exceed CAD 60.-.
FORMER RESIDENTS of Canada after a stay outside of Canada for 12 consecutive months or more: any articles owned and in possession and used at least 6 months prior to their return to Canada. For more information contact nearest Canadian embassy or consulate.
Restrictions and duty on food products: Complex requirements, restrictions and limits apply when importing meat, eggs, dairy products, fresh fruits, vegetables, and other foodstuffs that it is strongly advised not to bring such goods into Canada. Certain seeds, plants and plant parts are subject to special import requirements. For more information, contact the CFIA Import Service Centres in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver or by consulting www.inspection.gc.ca.
The following meat and dairy products may be imported only from the U.S. and must be identified as products of the U.S.A.:
a. 2 dozen eggs;
b. CAD 20.- worth of dairy products;
c. 3 kg or margarine;
d. 20 kg of meat and meat products, with restriction of:
- max. of 1 whole turkey or 10 kg of turkey products;
- max. of 10 kg of chicken.
Prohibited: articles from Haiti, made of animal skins (e.g. drums). Soft shell turtles from any country, including the U.S.A.

Alcoholic beverages and/or tobacco products can only be imported by persons over:

18 years into the provinces of Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec;

19 years for the provinces of British Colombia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, The Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Isl., Saskatchewan and Yukon Territory.

Alcoholic beverages and/or tobacco products can only be imported by persons over:

19 years for the provinces of British Colombia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, The Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Isl., Saskatchewan and Yukon Territory.

If cigarettes, tobacco sticks or loose tobacco are included in the personal exemption allowance, only a partial exemption will apply. A minimum duty will have to be paid on these products unless they are marked "Canada - Duty Paid/Droit Acquitte".

If cigarettes, tobacco sticks or loose tobacco are included in the personal exemption allowance, only a partial exemption will apply. A minimum duty will have to be paid on these products unless they are marked "Canada - Duty Paid/Droit Acquitte".

Arms and Ammunition regulations::
Prior to carrying a firearm into another country or bringing one back into Canada, the Canadian Firearms Centre should be contacted in order to find out what particular documentation is required, by calling 1-800-731-4000 from anywhere in Canada or the U.S.A. or (506) 624-5380 from elsewhere, or by consulting http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/.
Note: replica firearms are classified as prohibited devices and cannot be imported into Canada.

Export regulations::
Free export without any restriction of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages.

Crew members customs regulations::
Same regulations as for passengers apply.

Pets::
Birds:
1. Birds from countries other than the U.S.A.: no birds of any type are allowed entry into Canada unless accompanied by an Import Permit which must be obtained prior to arrival in Canada. This includes pet birds (parrots, song birds, etc.). The import of birds into Canada is also subject to control by the Canadian Wildlife Service, therefore, a permit may also be required.

Please view: www.inspection.gc.ca under the title Pet Imports for further details.

2. Birds from the U.S.A.:
a. Accompanied by owner: birds must be found healthy when inspected at port of entry. Owner must sign a declaration stating that:

- birds have been in his/her possession for the 90 days period preceding date of importation; and
- birds have not been in contact with any other birds during that time; and
- birds are the owner's personal pets;
- and are not being imported for the purpose of re-sale.

The owner or any family member must not have imported birds into Canada under this pet bird provision during the preceding 90 days period.

b. Unaccompanied birds: Psittacine birds (parrots, parakeets etc.) must be accompanied by an Import Permit issued by the CFIA. Please see: www.inspection.gc.ca under title `Pet Imports' for further details.

Cats and Dogs:
a. From non-rabies free countries: dogs and cats may enter Canada if accompanied by valid rabies vaccination certificate issued in either English or French, by a licensed veterinarian, clearly identifying the animal and showing that they are currently vaccinated against rabies. The certificate should indicate the type of rabies vaccine used, date administered and expiry date (please note that if validity date does not appear on certificate, it will be considered a 1 year vaccine).

b. From rabies-free countries (as recognised by Canada): Dogs and cats may enter Canada if accompanied by a certificate, in either English or French, of an official government veterinarian clearly identifying the animal and showing that rabies has not existed in that country for the 6 month period immediately preceding shipment of the animal, and that the animal has been in that country for the 6 months preceding import or since birth. Please note that (a) above is also an option if the animal has been vaccinated against rabies.
Note: Dogs and cats under 3 months old are exempt from above rabies requirements. In addition, please note the following section (c) for all puppies under 8 months old:

c. for puppies under 8 months old travelling unaccompanied to Canada, in addition to above, they are required to be accompanied by a detailed health certificate. Please see www.inspection.gc.ca under title `Pets Imports' and then `Dogs' for further details.

d. An inspection fee must be paid for dogs and cats from countries other than the U.S.A.: CAD 30,00 + tax for the first animal in the shipment, and CAD 5,00 tax for each additional animal in the shipment. Please note that above only applies to personal pets and does not apply to commercial shipments.

For further information on importing animals, please view www.inspection.gc.ca under title `Pets Imports' or contact:
Client Services, AHPD, CFIA,
59 Camelot Drive,
Nepean, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0Y9
Tel: (613) 225- 2342 ext. 4629 or 4790.

Baggage Clearance regulations::
Baggage is cleared at the first port of entry.

Airport Embarkation Tax
Airport Improvement Fees (AIF) are levied on all passengers departing from:
1. Moncton (YQM)*, NB: CAD 15.-;
2. Gaspe (YGP), QC: CAD 10.-;
3. Yarmouth (YQI), NS: CAD 10.-;
4. Sydney (YQY)*, NS: CAD 10.-;
5. Smithers (YYD), BC: CAD 15.-;
6. Kenora (YKK)*, ON: CAD 5.- * (for all destinations).
Place of payment: Self-service machines at the airport of departure or through the airport authority manned booths.
Exempt:
1. Infants under 2 years of age, travelling on a ticket for which no fare has been paid, or travelling on a ticket where no ticket is required. (Note: infants travelling on tickets issued against frequent flyer points are not AIF exempt.);
2. Airline employees (only applicable at YYZ);
3. Airline crew on duty;
4. International transit/transfer passengers connecting within 24 hours, or next possible connection (not applicable at YYZ);
5. Domestic/transborder transit/transfer passengers connecting within 4 hours, or next possible connection (not applicable at YYZ);
6. Holders of tickets issued in Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Peru, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela and Uruguay.

Currency rules
Currency Import regulations:
Same regulations as for export apply.

Currency Export regulations:
Local currency (Canadian Dollar-CAD) and foreign currencies: no restrictions up to CAD 10,000.-.
However, amounts equal to or greater than CAD 10,000.- should be declared.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Direct Flight from New Delhi to Toronto

Rs.32,062 per adult, incl. of taxes & fees (Total: Rs.32,062) Earn 220

New Delhi - Toronto 30 May 10 [-] Flight Details
Air India
AI187
New Delhi (DEL)
IGI Airport
07:10,Sun30 May 10
Toronto (YYZ)
Pearson Int'l, Terminal - 1
17:15,Sun30 May 10

Equipment: Boeing 777-300Er | Class: Economy | Refundable Total Duration: 19hr 35min

hunker

Dec 7, 2009
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2009
Doc's Request.
27-01-2010
Nomination.....
noooooooooo
AOR Received.
22-03-2010
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
File Transfer...
05-03-2010
Med's Request
18-05-2010
Med's Done....
15-06-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2010
LANDED..........
23 Jan 2011
ROCKY .

That's gr8 post.
While reading it Initially I thought Im reading Smuggler's details :p :p
Literally came all details.

Thx a million

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sanjeevindia said:
so you have booked your tickets. that's excellant. do update once you get there?
No not yet. Was just checking the fares. But will probably go Via Jet or Air India only. Just was thinking via to take a hoping flight of direct.

Any idea about hop in UK, London. I hope we do not require transit visa's. Some one told me they he was asked to get one while travelling to US. It doesn't seem to be logical.

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Rocky your Air India rate and the fact that it is direct is really great
Jet has a good online rate at Orbitz though you may need a US credit card to buy that.
35,295.57 INR - but with two hour stop at Brussels

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Though of sharing this for Ontario applicants. It is nice

http://www.settlement.org/downloads/First_Days_Guide_EN.pdf in english

other language - http://www.settlement.org/site/FIRSTDAYS/home.asp

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
THANKS TO BLUEBOY FOR THIS POST (IN ANOTHER THREAD). JUST SHARING THIS WITH PEOPLE WHO WOULD HAVE MISSED IT BY CHANCE.

1.) When and Where you landed in Canada?: 14th February 2010, Toronto.

2.) Share Landing experience (optional): The landing experience was quite easy. I filled in the migration form that I received in the plane. When I reached the counter there, I was directed towards the Immigration office. I then waited in the waiting area and after few mins the officer came in. He called me. He asked the address I was going to in Canada and just a few general questions about what I do and all. So, nothing serious here. Just a smooth process. Then I came out in the luggage area. A point to note here is that the luggage trolleys cost you 2 dollars. So, make you have some change. In case you don't have a change, remember to bring in some dollars (5 or 10). There is a Thomas Cook booth there where a guy was offering change. I gave him 10 dollars and got the change. Used up 2 dollars coins to get the luggage cart. Then, after picking up my luggage, I then showed my migration form to another officer on my way outside. I have declared that money that I was bringing in. I was directed to another queue where the luggage was being frisked by the officers. I think they were the customs guys. They were making everyone open every luggage and check every item they can. I was a bit shocked since I will have to open up all my luggage and put it back (which was quite hard to do at first place ). My turn came and I went to one of the officers. I informed about my money. She filled up a form and told me to go ahead. I thanked God for not having to open my luggage. I then came out and my friend was there to pick me up.

3.) Desired job: Web Developer/Web Designer.

4.) Acquired job: Senior Developer. 26th March 2010.

5.) The Job Finding Process: I was fortunate to have a friend who gave my a room in his house to live in. I opened my bank account and applied for the SIN within two days. Remember, you will need to show your SIN card once you get a job. So, get it ASAP. It takes around 7-10 days for the SIN card to come in. Do not carry the SIN card with you all the time. Just memorize the number. Also, don't give away the SIN information casually. It is a very important and classified document for everyone. If at any moment you need to give your SIN information, you will be asked to show the SIN card as well. For example: While opening my bank account I was asked for SIN. I didn't had my card at the moment but I knew the number. The executive at the bank told me not to tell her the SIN. She wanted the SIN only if I had the card with me. This is generally done for two reasons: (1) I don't give out a false SIN (2)They don't, unintentionally, memorize my SIN card, for any reason. So, just remember never ever give out the SIN if anyone asks. When someone legitimately asks you, they will ask you to show the SIN card as well at that time.

Ok, now coming to the job finding process. Remember, landing at a job interview is half the battle won in Canada. Once you get an interview call, it is then your skills, luck and God's wish that will decide the fate. But the problem is most people don't get interview calls. They cannot go ahead from that stage. Forget about using your technical knowledge for the interview. I too was stuck in that situation. But, after getting views from few friends around, I started getting interview calls. The point is to act smart. Companies ignore people who have outside Canada experience (except US). If you have India, Pakistan, UAE or any other country anywhere on your resume, chances are you will not be called for the interview. Sorry, but that's a hard fact. But, don't worry. Act smart and remove the country names from the resume. What I did was, I just kept the company names but removed their location. I put in the education but removed the country. So, now I had a resume with all my qualifications, experiences and objectives Minus the country name. And, it showed the results. I started to get interview calls (on avg 2 per week). In the interview when they ask, then at that time you can tell more details about your jobs and qualifications. Remember we are not trying to hide the information but just deferring it to be told at a later and better time. Don't let the companies judge you without interviewing you. Don't let them make an opinion about you without knowing you properly. And once you get the interview, you can impress them with your confidence, skills and your character. Then it doesn't matter where you you got your education and experience from. If you fail in an interview, then no problem. That's acceptable. But, rejection without a proper interview is something that none of us wants. The problems are the pre-conceived notions and the preference of Canadian experience over any other. So, just play a little smart and it will be all good.

Resources:
Coming to the resources of finding job, here are the three main sites in the order of relevance:
1.) Craiglist.org -> Your province -> Jobs
2.) Kijiji.ca -> Jobs
3.) Monster.ca
4.) For many occupations you will find enough job listings in the free classifieds new papers that you can get from a paper kiosk around (in markets, shopping malls, bus stops, train stations etc).

I have found that Craiglist.org is the best. It has the most number of jobs and you get the maximum responses for your job application. Kijiji.ca is also a good resource. I landed at my first interview through Kijiji.ca. Monster.ca is good but I have got the least responses from them. But, nevertheless use all these three to their full potential.

Type of Jobs:
I have found that basically there are three kinds of jobs here:
1.) Full time Permanent
2.) Full time Contract
3.) Part time Contract (includes freelancing too)

Full time Permanent: The jobs where you work for 40 hours (generally 9-5, 5 days) a week often with medical benefits. A good starting salary is in the range of 55,000-65,000 per year. But, it is upto you what you can remain happy with. Like for me 50,000 would have been fine to start with. The upside of this type of job is that it is permanent position.

Full time Contract: You work at employers location for the regular work timings but you are employed for a certain period of time (6 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, 12 months). Here you charge per hour. Many people like to work on contract basis since they get paid better. A programmer charges anywhere from $25-$90 per hour depending upon type of work and experience. Many big companies also offer contract positions. So, don't think down upon them. They are as relevant as a Full time permanent job here. The downside of this job is that you will have to worry about finding a job once your contract is over. But, they are very good for beginners.

Part time Contract: You are required for a lesser time period per week (like 25 hours per week, 30 hours per week) and you can work either at the employer's location or from your own location. Here also you charge per hour basis and it is generally good for students. But, you can also take it up if you come across a proposition that suits you.

Finally, I would like to sum up this by saying that always be Thankful for what you have got. Believe in God, pray to God and trust me you will do good in this Country. It is very intimidating here. You see people going to work and it is easy for you to feel depressed. But, don't worry. You are few of the lucky ones to be chosen to come to this country and now you should not give up. Have patience, be smart and believe in God. I used to pray everyday to God, kept faith in my actions and almighty's blessings. I did my part but I owe everything to Almighty.

God bless you all and All the best !!!

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Forms - Canadian Border Service Agency

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/menu-eng.html

RPN

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
June 2010
Rock ----- Rock ---- Rocky

Gre8 Job.... Keep it up.

irshad2005

Feb 22, 2010
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2009
Doc's Request.
18-02-2010
AOR Received.
18-02-2010
File Transfer...
08-03-2010
Excellent information shared by your rocky......
Excellent is the only word which describes your work.
Keep up the good work buddy.
this information is of great use.
hurray.......hurray..........for rocky :)

charmeuse

Jan 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 10, 2008
AOR Received.
September 3, 2008
Med's Request
December 12, 2009
Med's Done....
December 24, 2009
Interview........
November 9, 2009
Passport Req..
December 12, 2009. Recd. by CHC on Jan 15, 2010.
VISA ISSUED...
February 4, 2010. E-cas status changed on 9 Feb, recd on 10 Feb.
LANDED..........
Smooth landing on June 26, 2010.
Thank you very much, Rocky, for that very informative post. It's selfless people like you that keep this the best forum to be around :)

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot RPN, irshad2005 & charmeuse. I hope more applicants share their landing and other experience here so that people like us and many new applicants can be benefited from this thread.

Happy to Share 8)