30-06-2010
Passport Req..
20-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2010
LANDED..........
04-09-2010
Hi everyone

So 1 year and $1,800 or so after submitting my application, I am now an extremely proud permanent resident of Canada. The landing itself was the simplest and most painless part of the whole process. It took about 15 minutes total. I went upstairs to the office, waited 5 minutes, signed the COPR in a few places and that was it. Went downstairs, filled out a couple of forms for the goods to follow list and was done with that in about 10 minutes and on my way back to Calgary. I volunteered my proof of funds, but they didnt want to see it.

I know Carway has a poor reputation, but the officers I deals with were just fine. She seemed somewhat surprised they admitted me to the US, until I told her I stayed overnight - so I wasn't strictly flagpoling.

Just as an aside for anyone who is planning on doing the same, I left Calgary on Friday after work, and drove down via Fernie through Roosville to Whitefish / Kalispell MT. I love small town America, and Whitefish is kind of typical of that. The people are friendly, the prices are reasonable, everything is just awesome there.

Then yesterday I drove from Kalispell through Glacier national park on the Going to the Sun Road. That road is absolutely spectacular. I can't recommend it enough! It takes you all the way to the top of the mountains with fantastic views along the way. From the end of that road it is about 40km or so to the Canadian border at Carway. All in all, it was a great weekend.

Good luck to everyone here who is still waiting!

cheers

Dave