Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 24th 2011
LOL...I always get nervous when I hear the helicopters since the whole Dudas thing where they went around the island setting up curfews in different areas and taking people randomly into custody to see if they were on any wanted lists. I was visiting family in Kingston when one of these raids occured. A rude early morning awaking to see soldiers bursting into homes, including ours, searching everything and taking most the men in the area into a holding area to see if they were anyone of suspicion, some women to. So now...every time I hear helicopters I get this feeling in the pit of my stomache lol!! Was a bit much of an experience for this farrin girl!! lol lol

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Morning everyone! Overcast Sunday morning here, I am hoping we get some rain out of it.

SQ - we were in Westmoreland when the whole thing started, but I had to come back to Kingston for work. We got on the last bus out of Sav that morning (at 8:30 a.m.!), and just barely made it into Kingston before the curfews kicked in. When my husband checked his email there was mail from the embassy telling him that Canadians should avoid traveling in certain areas etc etc. He was worried they would order foreigners off the island, and that is one of the main reasons we moved our wedding date up from August. He was adamant that he would not be made to leave me, and said even the Canadian government couldn't make him leave his wife. I can't imagine what it was like to have your door kicked in and police searching the place!

OK, time to bake my Sunday morning muffins. Decisions, decisions, decisions...chocolate chip, blueberry, or banana nut?

SmoothiesQueen

Jun 18, 2010
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 24th 2011
OMG those are some delicious options. Why are we not neighbours? LOL...but I would choose chocolate chip!! Good morning Charlie D and everyone!!:)

And yes Charlie, it was pretty scary for me. But from working on a trauma unit before I moved to Jamaica, I have pretty good shock management and coping skills...thank the Lord!!! But still...I was quaking in my boots because I got grilled like a salmon with question after question and I had my little girl clinging to me scared while they were searching the home and I could hear some gunshots not far away. I will say this...soldiers are for sure often kinder and more for the people than the police in my opinion...but the one that was questioning me liked the idea of making me squirm in fear. It was not pleasant...but lucky hubby and I are law abiding...so you can only be so fearful when you have nothing to hide. However...being law abiding in Jamaica doesn't always keep you safe either lol!

Our home are never got any curfew...its a nice community so I guess they didn't think it was nessessary. I was glad to get back home...but we were stuck a few days in the curfew in Kingston where you drive with your windows a little down so your visable to the checkstop people...and every couple blocks give your ID and let them search your car if they feel so inclinded! I don't blame your husband for marrying you quicker...I have my Jamaican residency so legally nobody could make me leave although I heard the same warnings. But hope I never had to go through something like that again! You can never be sure that things will be done without corruption or possibly innocent suffering or abandonment of peoples rights in Jamaica so I always pray to stay clear of any trouble on the island.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday....and that this week brings lots of good news to all you wonderful people waiting on your loved ones! :D

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
I went with the blueberry muffins. :D

Yeah, I was a child back then, but I remember the bad old days of the early 80's and I fret all the time about us descending into that kind of chaos again. Thankfully, we haven't had anything that bad, except for the Dudus saga, and I had my husband with me so I wasn't too terrified that I was in Kingston. Had I been on my own, it would have been different. My coping skills are limited to natural disasters, dealing with people with guns in Jamaica, cops or criminals, frightens me right to my boots, LOL.

It's still overcast, and still no rain. The humidity is amazing right now. Wow.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day I have a question for my hubby to be with his work(military) he has to give notice etc so my question is can he if we are approved and visa issued can he land in Canada and then the next week fly back to Jamaica to complete his work i understand he cannot return without a PR card but we afe hoping that in the 3 mths he will have tied up all his loose ends :D

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Kedeisha, yes, he can leave immediately after landing. The requirements for PR are to be present in Canada 730 days out of each 5 year period in order to retain the status.

SmoothiesQueen

Jun 18, 2010
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 24th 2011
Just curious ladies....what was it that attracted you to a Caribbean man? I'm curious....for anyone whose lived in Jamaica a while knows there actually is a stereo-type on the kind of women that tend to marry Jamaican men. This stereo type is in alot of cases true. But after the exchanging of pictures we had a while back...I see alot of different kind of women from every walk of life. You guys seem like a really solid, well balanced group of women, and none of you fit the stereo types so often thrown at farrin ladies when they marry island boys.

So I'm curious what attracted some of you to the island boys? What was your connection to Jamaica that brought you into contact with your men? I hope I can ask this question and people understand the intent and don't take it the wrong way!! :)

My biological grandparents were Jamaican, despite the fact that I was adopted, I always had a desire to see that part of my roots. Hence my many stays in Jamaica. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have ended up so connected to Jamaica, with friends and connections etc that led up to the introduction of my husband and I.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
*Waits for answers, because this question doesn't apply to her* Come on, ladies!! LOL.

SmoothiesQueen

Jun 18, 2010
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 24th 2011
I know, I'm very curious as well!

I supposed I could answer the actual part of my question in regards to what attracted me to my man.

I honestly never wanted a Caribbean man...that sounds so rude to my husband, but I didn't. I was raised in a well off family where everyone ends up being doctors, engineers, successful farmers/rancher, nurses, business/company owners. I'm not bragging, but its relevant in the process that led me to choose my husband.There was alot of expectation that went with my last name so I grew up thinking I wanted somebody that could be the other half of the equation to live the life I was sure was expected of me. Please note that in no way am I saying I felt a Jamaican wasn't good enough for me...I am a equal respector of all persons/cultures etc etc. I'm as comfortable in the ghetto areas of Jamaica killing cockroaches, centipede and ignoring an occasional rat running through the house.... as I am in the home I grew up in. However that being said, I was the odd duckling out in my family. I was strong willed/a bit rebellious, bold and I never felt comfortable with the life that all my relatives were living. It just wasn't me, I felt like it squashed who I really was. It was fine for them, just not me. Luckily my parents were a bit different than the rest of our family as well. They encouraged us kids to not feel like we couldn't choose our paths. They encouraged us to do what made us happy...and they were pretty adventurous as well, traveling the world with their company. One day my parents would be in rural China sharing tea with a toothless ancient farmer, discussing things through a translator, and the next in a formal meeting at the UN. They are pretty cool people!

My husband had this way about him that reminded me of my father, who is the best man I ever knew..well I should say know because he's still alive lol. It was in the way he did what was right, even when nobody was looking. And would give his last dollar to a hungry person and go hungry himself. In a country full of corruption, this really stood out and his strength of character, moral convictions, and his honest nature were a huge huge attraction to me. I already had the sexual/phyiscal attraction from the get go, but I've never let that rule my heart or head. Physical attraction isn't really something we can control, and it doesn't always have good taste in who it picks. I knew I think from the first day of our friendship, long before we even started dating and even told a friend, this man is going to have a special place in my life, just not sure what place that is.

My husband was not a person to conform. He was proud to be black, but never into the whole Black Pride movement. He always said, I am me, and I'm not going to let people expect me to be a certian way because I'm black, or because I'm Jamaican. He would say he doesn't feel he needs to only surround himself with black people, or look on white people a certian way, or farrin people a certian way. He doesnt see skin color, he see's people. He's extremly proud to be Jamaican, however he is not defined by the fact that he is Jamaican either. He chooses to define himself, and this was a HUGE HUGE attraction to me. Cultural differences can be huge and for us, they are a problem occasionally, but usually we are just me and him...there is no white or black, Jamaican or Canadian, but rather just us. A normal married couple! Its so so rare to find people who are not shaped and defined by skin color and culture anywhere in the world, but can still have that as a part of them, while being their own self defined person.

He also is a giant goofball...and my mom says he can charm roses off wallpaper lol! He keeps me laughing and he's not afraid of what others think of him so we have alot of fun because neither do I haha! He's not into hype. He's a Jamaican so the clothes are always clean and pressed, but he's not afraid to wear his work clothes in to town to grab something he needs, and he's not afraid to throw on whatever to go hang out somewhere. He's remarkably unattached to material things. He's more likely to buy a few nice things he really wants and care for them like a newborn baby. There is no bright colored jeans, and Ed Hardy tee shirts with plenty of bling on for this boy...THANK GOD!!!

This attracted me as well because coming from a well off family, someone of lesser moral character would have kind of hit the jackpot marrying me if thats what they were looking for. I know a rich girl who married a Jamaican and they gave him everything...money, a house, a brand new jaguar and the minute his papers came through he filed for a divorce...so you still have to use your head. The fact that my husband gave me confidence from the beginning of our friendship, long before dating, was a huge thing! And my parents loved him from the first time they met him, my mother tells everyone I couldn't have picked better no matter where in the world I looked and I made the best decision I could have possibly made!

And the most important thing of all...there was no " having to put each other on a different level to communicate or understand each other". There were no communication barriars, nothing. I could have been talking to a fellow Canadian. Our understandings were the same, our views similar, I can talk to him as easily as anyone back home and there is no confusion, no having to explain a single thing. This rocked my world because as you can see by my novel here, I love to talk!! LOL

Ok sorry thats long...but thats my answer lol!!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
LOL, SmoothiesQueen, loved that backstory. It's nice to see that there are good Jamaican men out there besides the few that I know personally, some days when I have to interact with Jamaican men in general, I despair of what the country is going to come to. :p

The humidity combined with the lack of rain is making me want to pant like a dog. For a few blessed minutes there was some cool breeze, but now with evening descending it is gone and the place feels like a sauna again. It is not helping that I decided to make beef stew for dinner!

SmoothiesQueen

Jun 18, 2010
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 24th 2011
I'm not gonna lie girl...from years of Jamaican life....I despair at Jamaican men to. I think if I had grown up or been raised by my biological grandparents in Jamaica rather than being adopted...I would have NEVER married a Jamaican man. I don't know if I would have recognized a good one when he came along, since the bad ones have so much game in the pretend department. I do know there are a few good men left though. I have two male friends that come to mind..no wait make that three...who are not only faithful, but treat their women like gold. Its just getting to be rarer and rarer in the state of todays society in Jamaica.

Honestly, the thought of my daughter dating a Jamaican man just about give me grey hair. I feel like tattooing no Jamaicans allowed across her forhead as she gets older LOL!! Its not that I would care if she found a good Jamaican man someday....its just the idea of her getting the wrong ones!! There are men that will lean in the window of our car or stand right by it while my daughters in the backseat and my husbands driving and try and talk me up...only backing away when they realize they don't want to cross my husband. I'm like...seriously???

Mmmm beef stew sounds good! I made homemade perogies!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Hahaha, that tattoo might be a good idea, but then, to some of them it might just be a challenge!

Ahhh...the breeze is back, and carrying a hint of ozone with it, I might get some rain tonight after all! Speak of the devil, here it comes, hooray!! ;D

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CharlieD10 thanks for u answer yay

For me I am Jamaican born migrated to Canada dated Canadians and it ended badly so I went back to my roots as I had intentions maybe not realistic ones now but they were to move back I happened to have met my fiance thru his cuz that resides here when i mention to him I want a man in the military and my fiance basically fell into my lap, mind u this was after a 3.5 yr relationship that ended with me being cheated on with that resulting in a baby, I just gave up on guys here and I happened to have met a great guy there.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Good morning, happy Victoria Day for those of us in Canada, happy Labour Day for those of us in Jamaica!

I hope everyone has plans to enjoy the holiday, not too many plans, tomorrow IS a work day, after all. :p Whatever you get up to, have a great day everyone!

lonely_wife

Dec 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2010
Doc's Request.
03-11-2010
AOR Received.
03-11-2010
File Transfer...
06-07-2010
Med's Request
06-07-2010
Med's Done....
09-07-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2011
LANDED..........
19-06-2011
Good morning!!!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful long weekend!!! Charlie man with your brownies topic then now blueberries muffin... You're killing me lol... I better get cooking all them nice things for hubby... I tend not to make stuff like that cause I eat them all in a day or two lol... I have no self control when it comes to sweet lol...

SmoothiesQueen.... I never for a minute thought that I would end up with an island man... For me this is not the best situation being in a relationship with someone that lives in another country... When I meet my husband, I talked to him and got to know him on a different level... Race, religion, traditions were all put aside and I fell in love for the person that he was not for where he was from or for his skin colour... This is where I must say that love is blind and it takes you anywhere... I wasn't searching for love when I meet my husband as I had just recently before meeting him ended a relationship but when I got to know my husband I wasn't able to resist his charm :p There are many reasons why I decided to have a relationship with him and I am not gonna get into that... All I can say is that sometimes you can't help who you love....

I hope everyone has a wonderful day :D