Star Member
Jan 30, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Now that I have sent in our application, hundreds of reasons why we will be denied are running through my mind. Maybe I should have included a cover page... maybe the week we are spending apart will cause our "common law" status to be revoked... etc.

I might just be crazy, or I might just be correctly afraid of the beaurocratic CIC.

My real question here is, if we are a genuine, common law couple, and I am a Canadian citizen, getting approved should be pretty straight forward right? Or... do they look for every single reason to reject you? Is there a quota or a limit to the number of Family Class spouses they allow in?

I obviously have a million questions. Sorry for the lack of clarity. Just stressed.

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
I feel the same and still do a lot of the time, lol. I think when we are nervous about something you tend to not think realistically about a situation because your nerves/anxieties get the best of you. A week apart is nothing as short periods apart are allowed.. As long as there are no complications, your process should be relatively smooth. Goodluck!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If your relationship would appear 'normal' to a casual observer, and the applicant is not from a country that CIC is suspicious about, everything should be fine. The visa officer's judgment comes into play with deciding how normal a relationship is, of course. What country is your partner from?

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
I remember feeling exactly the way you are right now, of course each case is different as is each IO looking at cases. You would not have sent in your application if you didn't feel you provided a strong enough application right? right. thats what my husband kept saying to me and my husband he is not a talker he filled out his forms with one word/sentence answers LOL like when it asked how we met his answered "online". Everyone on here was talking how they went all into to detail and my husband changed everything I typed and then printed it out I figured if we got denied I could just blame it on his short answers LOL but I just got PPR last week. The week you are apart will not terminate your common-law status I know it's alot easier said then done but try to relax the stress will drive you nuts I know I did it for the first few months then I just realized my husband was right (don't ever tell him I said that) ... Good Luck!!

perkele

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 15, 2012
AOR Received.
May 30, 2012
Med's Done....
December 12, 2011
Hi Huxley,

Like the others said, if your relationship seems genuine and you have sent sufficient evidence, there should be no problem.

My boyfriend and I made our application as common-law and we both were having the same concerns that you're having. And, a few weeks ago we got our first stage approval without an interview or additional documents being requested.

Our case was simple though, we're both young, never married, with no children and my boyfriend (the applicant) is not from a "suspicious" country as Canadianwoman mentioned. We had enough evidence to show that we were not simply roommates and that our relationship was known to our friends and family. The only real concern we had was that we had not known each that long before moving in together but we explained thoroughly how our relationship progressed...

Huxley1234

Star Member
Jan 30, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
If your relationship would appear 'normal' to a casual observer, and the applicant is not from a country that CIC is suspicious about, everything should be fine. The visa officer's judgment comes into play with deciding how normal a relationship is, of course. What country is your partner from?
Argentina ... are we OK? :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I have not seen any appeal cases from Argentina. It does not appear to be a hotbed of fake marriages. I'd say you're OK.