+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2023 - Citizenship Applications

JoseM920612

Jan 31, 2024
Applied July 6th, got asked in August for fingerprints, they confirmed they received them in September, passed the test September 10. Got an update that says October 27, application hasn't move since then. Anyone in similar situation?

psmtts

Star Member
Sep 16, 2020
Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Applied July 6th, got asked in August for fingerprints, they confirmed they received them in September, passed the test September 10. Got an update that says October 27, application hasn't move since then. Anyone in similar situation?
Yes, nothing changed here.

Temitee002

Jan 26, 2021
And the journey of many years has finally come to an end. I thank this forum for all of your inputs and assistance. Hoping and praying that all those waiting will be pleasantly surprised soon
Citizenship ceremony was completed yesterday
Received certificate today - onto passport next.

wishing everyone the very best!

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
there is an update on my timeline, I have been invited to an interview with an officer! what should I expect? any idea guys?

citapplicant

Oct 9, 2023
there is an update on my timeline, I have been invited to an interview with an officer! what should I expect? any idea guys?
I think they ask basic questions like did you travel outside of the country, if so how many days, your ID and stuff. Though, I haven't had an interview, so I'm not the most knowledged person, someone can provide a better answer,

Reactions: hamasi

psmtts

Star Member
Sep 16, 2020
Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Same here, I have an interview scheduled on February 22.

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
one more question: when I filed my citizenship application, I did not submit my passport from back home, it was seized by IRCC when I claimed refugee and returned to me a year and a half ago, I renewed it(my country doesn't have a console in Canada so I did it using regular mail without going to the embassy), and I have never used it at all, did not go to my back home country, and am not planning to go! should I let them know that I have the passport, or I should not mention it? I don't think they will have access to that information since Canada doesn't have any political relations with my country. I can take my previously expired passport, which was revoked when I renewed it. what are your thoughts? will it be a problem? I always used my refugee travel document for my trips( around 5 trips)

citapplicant

Oct 9, 2023
one more question: when I filed my citizenship application, I did not submit my passport from back home, it was seized by IRCC when I claimed refugee and returned to me a year and a half ago, I renewed it(my country doesn't have a console in Canada so I did it using regular mail without going to the embassy), and I have never used it at all, did not go to my back home country, and am not planning to go! should I let them know that I have the passport, or I should not mention it? I don't think they will have access to that information since Canada doesn't have any political relations with my country. I can take my previously expired passport, which was revoked when I renewed it. what are your thoughts? will it be a problem? I always used my refugee travel document for my trips( around 5 trips)
I am not sure about this. Applying for your passport is a huge red flag. As you said, they may not enough intelligence on what you did with your passport. I'm obviously not a lawyer, but I think even visiting your embassy/consulate is enough to revoke refugee status as you essentially avail yourself to the safety of your country (Canadian forces can't enter embassies/consulates), so by entering one you are declaring yourself to be safe in that territory. BUT you said that you didn't go to the embassy/consulate to get it, so I don't know. One might consider getting your passport as re-availment. For example check out this case https://canlii.ca/t/hwk58#par3. It is said
As I have explained at the outset, the RPD allowed the Minister’s application since it was satisfied that the applicant had voluntarily reavailed himself of the protection of Chad as provided by paragraph 108(1)(a) of the Act. In doing so, it first decided that the fact that the applicant had applied for and obtained the renewal of his Chadian passport triggered the application of the presumption resulting from the principles stated in the Handbook and Guidelines on Procedures and Criteria for Determining Refugee Status under the 1951 Convention and the 1967 Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees [Handbook], as enshrined by the Court, that the applicant had thus reavailed himself of the protection of his country of nationality.
So it is highly possible that you are in danger of losing your status. I highly suggest you reach out to a lawyer.

citapplicant

Oct 9, 2023
To provide a better answer I read a few more cases, and most of the time, the argument is like the following "The applicant had reavailed themselves by renewing their passport and going to their home country." I have not seen any case where they only say "reavailed themselves by renewing their passport only", so I don't know, I think things are in your favour, but again, I only looked at few cases. so contact a lawyer. also I highly advise against lying to IRCC officer.

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
To provide a better answer I read a few more cases, and most of the time, the argument is like the following "The applicant had reavailed themselves by renewing their passport and going to their home country." I have not seen any case where they only say "reavailed themselves by renewing their passport only", so I don't know, I think things are in your favour, but again, I only looked at few cases. so contact a lawyer. also I highly advise against lying to IRCC officer.
Thanks for the insights, I'm not sure too! lawyers charge a lot these days, not sure how to do so. in the interview email or letter, will they mention what is the interview about? for example will they say anything about the objectives of the interview? Imma wait till receive the interview email/mail first and then see whats going on. please, if anyone received the email, could you please let me know what is in it? thanks a lot.

citapplicant

Oct 9, 2023
@hamasi See the handbook they mention in the case above

In the 30th page 121.point, it says the following:
121. In determining whether refugee status is lost in these circumstances, a distinction should be
drawn between actual re‑availment of protection and occasional and incidental contacts with the
national authorities. If a refugee applies for and obtains a national passport or its renewal, it will, in
the absence of proof to the contrary, be presumed that he intends to avail himself of the protection
of the country of his nationality
. On the other hand, the acquisition of documents from the national
authorities, for which non‑nationals would likewise have to apply – such as a birth or marriage certif‑
icate – or similar services, cannot be regarded as a re‑availment of protection.
So if they take this as reference (and according to the case I sent above, they do), they MIGHT assume that you intended to "avail yourself to the protection of your country," BUT if you did not use it, it should be fine.

Last edited: