+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job search while visiting Canada

ambridn

Sep 23, 2016
I am hoping to move to Canada in the future. I will be going out there for a visit soon on a scouting mission. Can I look for work and attend interviews while there on a visitor Visa.

I have no intention of trying to start work while there without first returning to the UK and getting the required work permit.
I am not going to try and convert a visitor visa or anything like that into a work permit while in Canada. I am aware that this is not allowed.

I only need to know if it is allowed to apply and attend interviews while there as a visitor.

Many thanks

irvah

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Vancouver, BC
How would you respond if you will be offering a position?
"I am sorry for wasting you time, the only what I wanted is just to gain an interview experience"?

ambridn

Sep 23, 2016
If they offered the position then I would be able to have them complete the Labour Market Impact Assessment form, and then I would be able to, I assume get a proper work permit once I had returned to the UK. Or, add the offer to my permanent residence application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ambridn said:
I only need to know if it is allowed to apply and attend interviews while there as a visitor.
Yes, you can apply for jobs and attend interviews. However, it is unlikely that you will find a job. It is very difficult to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA and work permit process. LMIAs generally take several months to be processed, the employer must meet strict requirements and it costs them $1000 just to apply.

ambridn

Sep 23, 2016
Many thanks. I just wanted to know if it was something I would be allowed to do without violating any rules. I have heard it is difficult to find work like this so I don't hold out any great hope for it happening but it's nice to know I have the option.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
ambridn said:
Many thanks. I just wanted to know if it was something I would be allowed to do without violating any rules. I have heard it is difficult to find work like this so I don't hold out any great hope for it happening but it's nice to know I have the option.
Usually when they make contact with you they will ask you about your immigration status. If you say "visitor" you will most probably be discarded immediatly.

You can try though.